Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Card Reader Compatibility

Options
  • 27-04-2011 4:04pm
    Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,718 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Interesting, I've gotten card readers for online banking from both AIB and Ulster Bank and after playing with them, I've found something interesting.

It seems that the Ulster Bank atm card/account will work in both the Ulster Bank AND AIB card readers.

This is good if you lose one you have a backup and/or keep one in the office and another at home.

Unfortunately the AIB ATM card won't work in the Ulster Bank card reader, it gives the message "Wrong Card" when you put it in the card reader.

Now there are two possible reasons for this:

1) Ulster Bank have programmed their card reader to only work with Ulster Bank cards, I hope this isn't the case.

2) The AIB ATM cards aren't compatible with the UB card reader.

I think this is the more likely reason, AIB use stupid Laser cards for their ATM cards, rather then the more modern and standardised visa debit card used by UB.

The fact that the UB visa debit card works in the AIB card reader might indicate that AIB have made their card readers compatible with standard visa debit cards, as well as laser cards, with the expectation of moving to visa debit card at a future date.

Well I hope so anyway.

Advertisement