Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The road to recovery....a second attempt!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭Perkina3

mrslow wrote: »
    See you there!

I presume thats me being told that I am going to be there lol!

Ah we shall see*! So whats the dealio... short sneaky run tonight as well as doing tomorrow or whats the jazz?

*Haven't committed yet but leaning towards it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭Mr Slow

Perkina3 wrote: »
    I presume thats me being told that I am going to be there lol!

Ah we shall see*! So whats the dealio... short sneaky run tonight as well as doing tomorrow or whats the jazz?

*Haven't committed yet but leaning towards it.

Short slow run tonight to loosen up the legs. What time are you going for?

If I do it.... Sub 21.... I know Meno thinks I can do it in under 20 but want to gauge it based on my performance tomorrow.

Given the complete dirth of training until recently I will be happy with a sub 21....

mrslow wrote: »
    Short slow :rolleyes:run tonight to loosen up the legs. What time are you going for?

Yes BOSS!

If I do it.... Sub 21.... I know Meno thinks I can do it in under 20 but want to gauge it based on my performance tomorrow.

Given the complete dirth of training until recently I will be happy with a sub 21....

That's sensible, you don't want to blow up.
    Yes BOSS!

Good Boy, now roll over.

• Advertisement

Right... just a quick check up here.... have not trained since Wednesday.... Haven't been feeling great....Very tired the last few days so just rested up... (Yes I was meant to run yesterday but that would have been my only run)

Have my driving test tomorrow so wish me luk lads....I am f$king sh!ting it!:eek::eek::eek::eek:

Ok lets try doing this at a second attempt!!

Tuesday 10th of May:

Met up with Meno, Clara, Ainman, Digger, Aficianado and RK for interval training in UCD and did 7 x 400m intervals.

As I still haven't sorted out the timing issues.... ie my lack of a watch the first interval was untimed but it was at a decent speed so I am going to assume it was a bit under the 80 second mark.

After that I settled down to do intervals with Clara and Digger and later on Aficionado joined.

These were done at between 6.36 - 6.52 pace. I will update this after I check with digger the exact splits.

So then I decided I would go and do one last split and go full pelt.... Digger said he would tag along....

I started out fast and felt pretty comfortable over the first 200m and knew it was a fast lap so I put the pedal down and went for it in the last 200m. (In the words of Meno....I apparently didn't look fit to talk coming around the last bend) But I did the 400m well under 5 minute mile time and dragged digger who was probably bout 30m back at this stage to a 4.52 split so well done mate.....

Was well pleased with this session as it shows I have a bit more speed than I thought....

Also that morning I had gone to the gym and completed the reps of weights as specified earlier in this thread. All in all a good days training.

Wednesday 11th:

Given that I had a lecture and was going to be boozing as well I decided a lunch time run was in order. Jigged my training schedule to suit the possibility that I will run the sportsworld 5 mile on sunday.

Headed out on a relatively brisk tempo run at c. 7.20 pace.... Felt the sprints in my legs like but it was good going and was happy with run.

On a sidenote, used the app runkeeper for the first time.... Brutal bad so it was!

C. 4 miles @ 7.21 pace.

I started out fast and felt pretty comfortable over the first 200m and knew it was a fast lap so I put the pedal down and went for it in the last 200m. (In the words of Meno....I apparently didn't look fit to talk coming around the last bend) But I did the 400m well under 5 minute mile time and dragged digger who was probably bout 30m back at this stage to a 4.52 split so well done mate.....

:D

Right so Yesterday was meant to be a GAA football session which I was using as my cross training for the week. However, it got cancelled so I went home and had a rest day.

Now.... I was meant to hit the gym and go for a recovery slow run today. Slept in this morning and will make up that gym session this evening and was going to go for my 4 mile recovery run at lunch but a mate has asked me to lunch.

With an eye to the sportsworld 5 mile on Sunday I am now not sure what to do. I will feel guilty if I miss the run as I am watchiong the Leinster match this evening as well with the possiblity of a welcome to the weekend drink attached but advice please.

I plan on doing a slow lap of the 5 mile course tomorrow with Woddle and running the race sunday so I will still have 4 runs in this week if I do that...

1 tempo, 1 slow recovery and one speed session together with race and 3 gym sessions.

what to do? what to do?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭Seres

Right so Yesterday was meant to be a GAA football session which I was using as my cross training for the week. However, it got cancelled so I went home and had a rest day.

Now.... I was meant to hit the gym and go for a recovery slow run today. Slept in this morning and will make up that gym session this evening and was going to go for my 4 mile recovery run at lunch but a mate has asked me to lunch.

With an eye to the sportsworld 5 mile on Sunday I am now not sure what to do. I will feel guilty if I miss the run as I am watchiong the Leinster match this evening as well with the possiblity of a welcome to the weekend drink attached but advice please.

I plan on doing a slow lap of the 5 mile course tomorrow with Woddle and running the race sunday so I will still have 4 runs in this week if I do that...

1 tempo, 1 slow recovery and one speed session together with race and 3 gym sessions.

what to do? what to do?
    Colud you slip in an easy 4/5miles after work before you go home? if you go home you will get roped into something , run is only bout 40mins , thats my plan for this even too !!

• Advertisement

See I need to get the gym session in as well like.... only been once this week and need to get two more before sunday.

the Leinster match is at like 19.05 and I only finish round half 5. This is going to be tough! :(

Bloody training has already been disrupted this week cuz of sickness and stuff last week :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭Seres

See I need to get the gym session in as well like.... only been once this week and need to get two more before sunday.

the Leinster match is at like 19.05 and I only finish round half 5. This is going to be tough! :(

Bloody training has already been disrupted this week cuz of sickness and stuff last week :(
    could ya tape the match ? is the gym more important ?

Prioritise!!! Which is more important? The Gym or the race or the match?

Right well I think what I am going to do is...

Run today..... with match

Gentle run and Gym tomorrow..

Race Sunday and depending how I feel Gym session afterwards.

Oi... busy weekend... Gotta get my training back on programme. Going to start posting my weekly timetable on here to keep me on track!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

Right well I think what I am going to do is...

Run today..... with match

Gentle run and Gym tomorrow..

Race Sunday and depending how I feel Gym session afterwards.

Oi... busy weekend... Gotta get my training back on programme. Going to start posting my weekly timetable on here to keep me on track!

Run to Gym, get someone to tape match and watch after you do gym session?

Dont become a slave to your schedule. End of the day this sport is a hobby to everyone on this forum. No reason why you can have a few easy days coming up to the race.
    On the other side of the coin dont kid yourself if you have stuff to do dont put it off if it puts you under time constraints. You easily could have done one of either yesterday with the cancellation of GAA there was plenty of time to fit it in. If you are serious about the race though my advice dont try fit it all in today and tomorrow

;)Ok so funnily enough....my plan changed again straight after I wrote that post. My friend who I was meant to be meeting for lunch called to say they had to cancel.....THE RUN WAS BACK ON :rolleyes:.....

Anyway...legged it back to my office and got changed. Headed out on a nice slow 4 miler. I am not going to lie to you I did not enjoy this run a whole lot. As most of you guys who read this are aware I have big problem keeping my recovery runs at a slow pace and this was no different in that I wanted to go a lot faster but I didn't........

Ran from Connolly station across the liffey and then up by the quays to Hueston where I then turned right and crossed over the the bridge where the luas also crosse before following the luas lines back to Connolly. All in all it was a slow run. My clock says 35.52 but given the stoppages for traffic lights I would say a good time would be around 35 mins of running. This is 8.45 per mile and something I am happy about because I managed to slow my running down a good bit....

The plan for the gym tonight is

Weights:

Deadlift: 65kg x 8 x 3
    Bench press: 55kg x 8 x 2. 60kg x 8 x 1
    Dumbell press ups: 15x3
    Normal press ups: 25x3
    Shoulder press (Dumb bells): 10kg x 8 x 3
    Bicep curls: 15kg x 8 x 2, 17.5kg x 8 x 2
    Tricips: 10kg x 8 x 3
    Back extensions: 10kg x 8 x 3 and then 4 x 3 with out to max out at 12

All in all it's a decent training session today after my initial thoughts that I was going to get SWEET FA done :)...

Cheers to Seres, Mr. Slow and Ecoli for trying to help me out earlier!:D

Ok,

Trying to do this for the second time cuz my computer decided to have a fuking fit and not work...

Have no time.... so really quickly....

Saturday: 14th May

I went and did a recce of the sportsworld course and it was a tricky enough course with a good mile long stretch which would be running into a good strong headwind and up a hilll...It was nice and easy and I met woddle for the first time.... Gave me an insight for the course but still was slightly misleading...

Oh well....ran the sportsworld today but match report will have to follow as I am going out to dinner now....

Watch this space :)

Ok so the race report from yesterday..,..

Here goes. Met up with Woddle and a load of others from Boards and started off the race... Set out at a nice brisk but comfortable pace c. 7 minutes a mile and went through 2 miles in 14.11. I was feeling fresh and comfortable. I hadn't really broken a sweat and my breathing was good......

But then in my eyes.... disaster struck... went through 2.5 miles and all of a sudden my legs just seemed to turn to lead... my breathing and everything else were fine but I just knew I had dropped my pace off very significantly and this was realised when I went through my 3rd mile split at 21.52. At this stage I could see the PB slipping away but just couldn't get my legs to do what my head wanted it to do and speed the Fuk up.... I really began to frustrated because I knew I had a sub 35 in me even now.... I pushed through 4 miles in 29.16 and knew that the time had gone.... twas gutted.... I could hear vaggabond making a move behind me and put in a little spurt ;)...... couldn't have him passing me having led him the whole way :rolleyes::rolleyes:

haha.... finishing time was c 36.42. Not really impressed now if I do say so. As woddle will testify I was quite disappointed about how the actual run had turned out but I think he hit it on the head when it was said that I have some speed but my endurance has gone to the pan and that's going to take time to rebuild.

Oh well.... A sub 36 would have been respectable but will have to try and shoot again for that.

Long Slow Runs my man, key word 'Slow'.

Yup I know... and I am trying... The 8.50 pace on friday is probably one of the slowest I have ever run! I really do find it tough though.... Will try and get out for a 6/7 mile slow run in the next couple days.

Not exactly long but probably will be my longest of the year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭jcsmum

From experience, doing the LSRs at a slow pace can be really difficult. But it has to be done! It pays in the long run.
    You did a great time yesterday, although you did look disappointed afterwards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭Brianderunner

Yup I know... and I am trying... The 8.50 pace on friday is probably one of the slowest I have ever run! I really do find it tough though.... Will try and get out for a 6/7 mile slow run in the next couple days.

My recovery runs are over 9 min pace a lot of the time (30:18 5 mile pb), nothing wrong with it whatsoever. Feels odd at first but you'll grow to enjoy them and look forward to them.

I see you're one of the gang now, hope your well able to drink!

Monday 16th:

Rest day. Played a football match at corner back for bout 40/45 minutes but other than that the day wasn't too hectic... was nice after the disappointment of sunday.

Tuesday 17th:
    So started a new base running programme with my first days training being 40 mins running at c. 8.40 - 8.45 pace. This started off nice and handy with the only discomfort being the fact that I had to run in a spare set of runners which I couldn't use my insoles in but meh twas fine....

Was meant to do 40 minutes solid but with the current size of the disruption and security precautions in the city centre i got 32 mins solid and then another 3/4 minutes once I got through all of the security points. Given the distance I think I ran I was running just about spot on give or take about 10 seconds.

Have to get a garmin or some sort of tracker because I have tried to use an app on my phone twice now and it's just failed to get a GPS signal!

All in all...nice and handy and looking forward to racing in a fair few races later on in the year :)....

All in all c. 4.1 miles in about 35.5 mins(give or take)

Yup so an update.... Missed my core/flexibility session last night because of work and then a lecture that went on until half 9..... Didn't get home to almost 11....

Plan for today is to make up the core session this evening and a tempo run today going

40 minutes easy First time I have structured a run like this so should be interesting.

Right so the run for today I had earlier was wrong but I got myself rightd and went out for a 40 minute run today... again as I don't have a garmin I can only guesstimate what time I was runing but from my knowledge of the route I was running, I think I was running c8.40 a mile like... so am happy that I was very very comfortable at this rate. The city was again awkward to move around in but managed it alright and didn't lose too much time

I had intended to do circuit training tonight but something has come up with a mate of mine and I need to bail out of the house for a couple of hours and will be too bloody late by the time I get home.... still on target to hit all sessions except for wednesdays session even with the busy weekend ahead so if that happens I will be very happy.

Hopefully things quieten down next week...

Racing the Donore 5km next week...The aim is for a time somewhere between 19 - 21 minutes.

Bump

The aim is for a time somewhere between 19 - 21 minutes.

Mcmillan gives you 22:10 based on the Sportsworld 5 mile, I know you're quick in the 400m repeats but be conservative with Donore, at a push aim for between 20 and 21 because if you go flat out for 19, you'll die on the hill at 4k ( that's if you get that far at pace) and drag yourself to the end. Run a smart race and have a plan, Meno is faster than you with oceans of endurance miles under his belt and he's targetting sub 19.

Grand so I will try to listen to that.... Want to have a good target to aim for so I will prob look for between 20 - 21 mins so.....

So to the training today....As I have a really busy week I have been trying to squeeze my training in whereever I can and today it was a case of getting up at 06.30 and getting out...

Today was 10 min easy - 20 min tempo - 10 min easy..../

Because I hit the snooze button one too many times I had to cut it to

9 mins easy - 18 mins tempo - 9 mins easy. I reckon based on distance I ran about 7km.... maybe a little under this so am please enough. The tempo pace was faster than planned and I knew it after bout 10 minutes but it felt good despite my legs being heavy because of yesterday evenings run....

I am happy enough with this and will keep trying to be disciplined and running slow... Though as most of you will know its very hard to do this when you are training alone.

Another decent session under my belt.... Looking at total milage this week of between 20 - 25 miles which is quite a big increase for me interms of days running and that... Looking forward to a rest recovery run tomorrow of 20 mins and some flexibility work

Right so here is the log from the weekend.

Got the 20 minute recovery run in over saturday....just..... But didn't get the flexibility session unfortunately.

Sunday 22:

Went out for what was meant to be a 50 minute real easy pace run at 9.45. Well it clearly did not go to plan. Went out and for the first half mile I was running nicely. Not quite 9.45 ( Maybe round 9.30). Was thinking yeah this is good and I was comfortable. (Now this is where ECOLI is going to kill me.) Had not been in the greatest of moods going out the door and just suddenly got that urge to go for a good solid run and yes I sped up but I thought I had only sped up a little but......turns out I sped up a lot more than expected. Ran the first half mile at close to the pace I should have.... ran the following 4.5 miles at close to PB speed and felt comfortable. Weird thing was I didn't realise how fast I was going until bout 30 mins in when I was beginning to feel the effects and was like hold on a second here... I am not running that fast to be like then, only to then realise how far I was along and how fast I was going. I ended up running the 5 miles in 37.24. I then did another 2.7km loop to top me off at round 55 minutes (I took it nice and handy).

Very rarely have I ever wanted to just run and run hard but sunday was one of those days and I went away from my training programme as a result. Just felt nice though. It really did and was one of the most enjoyable runs I have done.

I followed this up with flexibility session I missed on saturday.

All in all given how busy I have been this week to miss only my core session this week I was quite happy.

The plan for the week coming up is!

Monday 40 min easy (8.40 pace quickest)

Tuesday Circuit work

Wednesday 40 min easy

Thursday off

Friday 20 min recovery (9.45 quickest) + flexibility session

Saturday Rest

Sunday 50 min easy (9.10 quickest pace)

40 min will have to be done tonight as I want to go to Obama if I get the opportunity. Looking forward to actually getting a crack at this circuit work tomorrow as well. I will stay totally on programme this week (Cept for race day on sat) :rolleyes:.

Saturday Rest

What happened to Donore???

• Advertisement

Will be doing it - though per my schedule I shouldn't. Am going to start off easier than I did in the sports world and then belt at it with 2 km to go. Still hopeful of a sub 21 time but I don't mind so long as it's respectable.

Spoke with the boss man and we agreed that's the strategy I will use as it is a little early for me to be doing races.

Advertisement