Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The road to recovery....a second attempt!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭Mr Slow

Perkina3 wrote: »
    Will be doing it - though per my schedule I shouldn't. Am going to start off easier than I did in the sports world and then belt at it with 2 km to go. Still hopeful of a sub 21 time but I don't mind so long as it's respectable.

Spoke with the boss man and we agreed that's the strategy I will use as it is a little early for me to be doing races.

Boss man??

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭Perkina3

Aye,

Someone finally cracked this thick skull of mine and I am listening to someone who knows far more than me. I am following a programme which is being done out on a weekly basis :)...

Yes I know it's a miracle... but I do listen..... occasionally :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Monday 23rd:

No training... got caught up in O'bama rama..... and got corralled into Townsend streeet and didn't get home until 21.20 so was shattered.

Tuesday 24th:

So because I missed yesterdays session I had a double session to do today.... got through the first one...the run alright.... 39.43 which was just short of the 40 minute target. It was slow enough and did the 3.9 miles in just about 8.40 pace so happy enough there as I found it easier to do than last week. Took a quick test of the pulse an it was hovering bout 120 - 130 and I was pretty comfortable so happy out I say.

Rushed home because I have a driving lesson at 20.15 so could only get two bouts of three circuit training scheduled but jesus christ I found it tough and I would say its going to take me a couple weeks to get into it.

Just about on track with training so far this week. another 40 min easy run tomorrow and a rest day on thursday me thinks so looking good for almost a golden week of training.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭digger2d2

Aye,

Someone finally cracked this thick skull of mine and I am listening to someone who knows far more than me. I am following a programme which is being done out on a weekly basis :)...

Yes I know it's a miracle... but I do listen..... occasionally :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Jeez...That narrows it down :rolleyes:

Hey well ya know... if you knock yourself out of the equation then it does :D....One less person to think who it might be!

Ah sure you don't need to know... just more that someone finally made me listen which is an achievement in itself given how headstrong I am :P

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭Woddle

Hey well ya know... if you knock yourself out of the equation then it does :D....One less person to think who it might be!

Ah sure you don't need to know... just more that someone finally made me listen which is an achievement in itself given how headstrong I am :P

and not even as much as a rejection letter for me :D

Hey hold on a second here! :P...

I only followed what you suggested.... :D:D

Was expecting you to PM too so that's why I didn cc you!!! Finding it difficult to train atm with all my commitments and that's the only reason u haven't seen me around much!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭Woddle

I'm only messing man, delighted to see you get one of the best young coaches around IMO.
    I expect greatness :D

Woddle wrote: »
    I'm only messing man, delighted to see you get one of the best young coaches around IMO.
    I expect greatness :D

Well he is working with someone who is rather stupid at the best of the times so could be asking a bit much :rolleyes::rolleyes:....But will try my best to fulfill said expectations! :)

Ok... so am after hittin a bit a fookin disaster today. Had to take my rest day yesterday as I just had too much on... ok so that was fair enough...

The plan today was to do my wednesday run after my football match this afternoon

Again your thinkin grand fair enough... but here is where I hit the dilema.... just before the final whistle, I went to catch a ball.... It didn;t end well cuz I am currently icing with is a suspected fractured finger though the medic at the match said t hold off on going to the doc till tomorrow when the swelling should have gone down after and I will know whether I can move it.... So my run tonight is out...

Sorry Ecoli but I am going to ice the finger tonight as I can't run round with a pack on my finger for 40 minutes.....

Will tape the finger tomorrow either way....and get my friday run with a bit extra sorted.

• Advertisement

Ok so today was race day for the Donore 5km! And the aim for the day was to try and run at a decent pace CONSISTENTLY over the 5km. I was still feeling a little stiff from Thursday so I wasn't looking forward to this as much a I should have but I wanted to do this. (No excuses doing made) :)...I went out with a game plan and I kept to it.... for the first time :rolleyes:

So started the race and decided I could bash out and hit the first 3 km hard... but was sensible and ran what I thought was at a decent pace.
    Hit the first km at 4.10 and I felt good... So this was the pace that I decided I would go at. Was passing people at a decent rate so went through 2km in 8.21 which was a 4.11.second split... I was very very happy with this.... It was at this point that I hit the KHYBER going down and I made a deliberate attempt to slow down so that I didn't blow up going up the hill on military road.... Went through the 3 km split at around 4.10 - 4.15 km so we were hitting a consistent pace...Continued past the 3km point and was still focusing on making sure I had enough for the hill.... So we reached the hill and I put a good spurt going up the hill which meant I was passing ppl left right and centre...

It was at this point I saw Mr. Slow and his family (though I don't think he saw me). Now unfortunately I had a mini blow out at the top of the hill here and was struggling for a few 100 metres until I saw what I thought was a boards person bout a 100m ahead of me.... was no way I wasn't giving it a go to pass him... Put a spurt in and passed him with bout 200m to go...turns out it was joe so I was pretty happy with this.

Oh yeah... my split for 4km was 17.21 so we are looking at a 4.40 to 4.45 4th km! :(...But I got it back finishing with a last 4.10km after a good solid finish..

All in all I went out to fun at a consistent pace for the 5km and I am happy with the consistency of this. The aim now is for the next 5 km to get under 21 minutes with a race coming up in a few weeks.

Just want to say cheers to woddle as well for the lift this morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,551 ✭✭✭chinguetti

Good to meet you this morning Perkina and well done on the time as well.

One thing on reading your report, i would be one of those people who believe that you shouldn't put a spurt in going up a hill as you suffer for it at some stage.

Doing spurts take it out of you and trying to keep your km splits around the same should be the plan. This morning, once you got past the hill, the wind was straight against you and it was quite a struggle until you got to the S bends.

Aye Chinguetti, Same!

Ok before I go into today's training run I better clarify something in my race report. When I say spurt I mean I just put an extra bit of effort into cresting the hill cuz I knew my split for that km was going to be significantly slower than the others I was doing and I wanted to minimise the difference as much as possible.

Sunday 29th May:
    Ok so today was an easy 50 min run per my training programme with a max speed of 9.10 min mile.

I really really really tried to keep to this but I was still bloody going too fast. Splits:

14.30 - 2.7km
    14.30 - 2.7km
    15.16 - 2.7km.

and then the change was whatever it was. I did a total of 50 minutes running and the target for the 5 miles was 45.50 with me doing it in 44.20 give or take. It was so frustrating as I went out with the goal of trying to get as close to that time as possible. You can see in the last split I really slowed it down to try and get an idea of the pace and got it spot on.

Anyway, enough of the moaning of not being able to get my pacing right. Was still a bit stiff and my glutes and quads were not in great shape today, particularly the glutes. They were in the same kind of shape as the race yesterday so as I read in Mr.Slows log this first 5/6km was not enjoyable at all... I really struggled to get any kind of continuity going but in the third lap everything seemed to settle down with my muscles having warmed up sufficiently. I finished the run comfortably and followed it with a few stretches.

Also tried a suggestion that I was given yesterday (think it was brian the runner) and took about a pint of choc milk as soon as I came in. All in all I suppose I am happier than a couple of weeks ago because I am gradually getting the fact that I need to run slow into my head and geting to that kind of level cuz as those of you who have been following my log will know this has been a big problem for me.

Anyway! New week tomorrow and new training week. Hopefully things begin to improve for me with regard to getting all my sessions in! :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Monday 30 min easy (9.10 pace quickest) + Flexibility

Tuesday Circuit work

Wednesday 40 min easy

Thursday off

Friday 20 min recovery (9.45 quickest) + flexibility session

Saturday 10 min easy 2 x 10 min @ 7.20 pace with 2 min recovery in between, 10 min easy

Sunday 50 min easy (9.10 quickest pace)

Training for this week! :)

Monday 30 min easy (9.10 pace quickest) Check!+ Flexibility

Tuesday Circuit work

Wednesday 40 min easy Check!

Thursday off

Friday 20 min recovery (9.45 quickest) + flexibility session

Saturday 10 min easy 2 x 10 min @ 7.20 pace with 2 min recovery in between, 10 min easy

Ok so once again I had to reorganise my session for the week but on target to get everything done or nearly everything.

Monday:
    Ok so this was meant to be an easy 30 mins with flexibitlity work. The plan was to do the 30 minutes when I came home along with some flexibility exercises.
    Something came up in that I had to cut the grass.... (In itself not a problem) but also got a phone call from the rents saying I could have one of the cars for a few weeks. If you guys knew the hassle I had to go through trying to get this car you will understand why I had jumped into my mates car and flew home faster than Meno doing his 200m splits!) This basically blew training out of the water as it was close to midnight by the time I got home...

End result: Unscheduled rest day but gained a car for the next month :)....I can live with having to re arrangement

Tuesday:

30 mins easy: Went at lunch time at work and really really really enjoyed this run. Probably been the most enjoyable run I have had in a long time. Nice, relaxed and measured at about 9 minute mile pace.

Wednesday:
    Went out last night at midnight because it was pretty much the only time I could get it in for 40 mins easy run. So ended up doing just under 8km in 43 mins and again despite the hour I really enjoyed this run as well. It was nice and measured with relatively even splits going round (Was listening to linkin park and it kept me nice and measured! :).

Tonight:

Plan is to do fridays 20 minute and flexibility session tonight and circuit training tomorrow with the time I have available.

Ok,

So I found my log languishing on the depths of page 5! Basically the last week has been bedlam so a quick summary of the weeks training

Got all but a flex session done last week with a significant amount of re shuffling to Ecoli's training programme!

Two key points. Did the tempo session, and tbh I reckon I did the first one a little fast and then as a result probably did the second one a little slower than the set time of bout 7 minutes a mile. Overall I was happy enough with the run

Second one.... recovery run on the sunday. Was not feeling it but went out anyway... pulled up after 500m cuz some tendons round my ankle felt like they were going to just split. So hobbled back and did bout an 8km cycle. Again I know it wasn't ideal but I wanted to do something.

Rested up monday (Also cuz of a VERY heavy nights boozing the night before) to give my ankle a chance to sort itself out.

Tuesday 7th June:
    What was pencilled in for last night was a 40 minute easy run but I really really didn't feel right. Lethargic would be an understatement. Think I could be coming down with a dose of something. Anyway, I reshuffled two easy runs that E coli had me down for this week and did the 30 min run yesterday.

Just as well I did because I barely managed the 30 minutes. Was exhausted coming round the last half km. and literally I only ran 5.5km so like it was a slow 11km hour pace!!!! This is a kind of run I have been doing without breaking a sweat so there was defo something up last night.

On a general note, I think I am in a bit of a rut in my running atm and I need a training buddy for a couple weeks cuz I just need to get a routine and some motivation going again.

Plan for tonight is

10 min easy and the 6x1m at target 5km pace and 6x1m easy pace.

Ok, as usual.... I bumped a training session back. Whatever I was feeling on tuesday hit me with a vengence yesterday and I preferred to miss one days training than come to bite me in the ass later in the week so an unforseen rest day on tuesday.

Thursday 9.6.2011.

Ok so finally finished work for summer..... *to the tune of schools out for summer* Works out for summer.....dooo doooo doooo! :P And had a busy day today but got straight into building a routine of running most days!

Went out to do wednesdays training session so here it is.

10 min easy which was probably a lil faster than recent easy paced runs ..... I then went into a mini interval session which went 6x1minutes at goal 5km pace. I hit these minutes hard and went a decent pace. I would like to go slightly faster but whatever has hit me this week was still lingering so I went as hard as I could push myself.... Obviously the 6mins easy were just that!

Warmed down with an 8 minute easy job which was probably the slowest I have ever run!

Tuesday 40 min easy (Goal to complete on Friday) - Flex session

Wednesday 10 min easy, 6 x 1 min hard effort (Just quicker than 5k effort) 1 min easy recovery after each rep (Completed on thursday)

Thursday 20 min recovery (9.45-10 min quickest)

Friday 30 min easy - Completed tuesday

Saturday 10 min easy 15 min @ 7.30 pace , 10 min easy

This is what I am thinking for the restof the week...

Tuesday 40 min tomorrow with maybe a flex session thrown in (Make up for the one I missed last week and then

Saturday 10 min easy 15 min @ 7.30 pace , 10 min easy

Ecoli, you happy with this? Sorry for messing it up again this week but twas either that or prob miss a couple days when I blew up later in the week.....

Friday:

Nothing big to report. 40 min easy run from earlier in the week. Route I took meant it was slightly shorter at around 36 mins. Was happy with this as I could still feel whatever I have had all week in my legs.

Called it a day at this and went to get a good nights sleep.

Saturday:

Was glad I got a good nights sleep.

Went out on this tempo run feeling pretty fresh.

Plan: 10 min easy - 15 min at 7.30 pace - 10 min easy

Actual: Warm - up: 1km slow paced job to running track from my house

10min easy: 10.30 for 2 km. Felt really comfortable doing this. Didn't feel much of the tiredness in my legs at all today.

15 mins @ 7.30 pace: Actually did the first in 7.04. Noted that this was going way too fast and tried to slow it down. I did.....ish....ran the second mile in 7.08 and then got another 200m before my 15 mins went out.

Two things learned: Legs felt good but need to work on my breathing which got a little ragged with bout 800m to go. Need to work on my form as well. However, I know there is still plenty left in the tank with a little work.

10 mins easy: 1800m in 10.52. For those who know me I have struggled to run slow. Ran my first 9.37 mile! Yay! :P

1km warm down, slow jog back.

Total kms run: 9.2km.

Hoping to do some light weights later. Haven't done any in a while..... :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Oh actually, for anyone that is interested. I am thinking of driving the 5km St. Coca's route tomorrow morning to give ppl an idea of the route. Would appreciate if some of you boardsies would support my local club :).

Online entry is only a tenner :)

• Advertisement

Sorry dude, most are doing Dunshaughlin on the 25th I'd say.

Ah I am doing both.... I am looking to break sub 21 on the st. coca's 5km

Ah I am doing both.... I am looking to break sub 21 on the st. coca's 5km

Remind me what you did in Donore?

You did 21:30 in Donore, get your pacing right, 6:35 pace from the off and you'll do sub 21. You'll be Fcuked for Dunshaughlin though and you're supposed to be handing old man Digger his ass.

Yeah I am going to try for that.... :)....I mean my pacing was almost spot on for Donore apart from that hilly km.....

Ah yeah I know but lets face it.... Dunshaughlin and me handing digger his ass was too close.... If I am around for Rathfarnham that boy is going down! :P

that boy is going down! :P

Must......resist........ response! :P

Ha whatever! :P

Right been a few days since I was on this

Sunday:

Went out for a 50 min easy run after the pace run of Saturday. Was nice and handy and the route I took meant that I finished up iun 49.xx so was happy enough....Legs felt fresh despite the run the day before. Nothing big to write home about.

Monday 13th:

40 minute easy. Went out on a nice easy run. Twas made easier by the fact I managed to drag my house mate out. Ran 6.2km in 33m with her and then went on to hit my 40 minutes on the button. Also did a GAA training session, some speed and sprints involved along with some easy laps. Twas a good training day today.

Tuesday 14th:

Another 40 minute easy. Again went out and it was ok but I am not going to lie, my legs were feeling monday and I was really feeling tired today. My pace was easy breathing wise but the legs felt heavy.

Wednesday 15th:

Target 10 min easy - (2 min hard - 2min easy *4)

Ok so I was pushed for time so did 6 mins easy and then the 2 min hard and 2 mins easy. I really enjoyed this session, was suitably tough but covered 4.8km in 20 minutes which I was absoluitely delighted with. Only began to slow down sliughtly on the last 2 minutes hard and thus I think was because of the 5 days straight I have run this week. However, I was pleased to note that my breathing recovered within a minute and I did feel I could have probably goine one more

All in all.... I don't want to jinx it but we are looking on for a golden training week this week. Though I have two days with the army at the weekend so I suppose it will depend on how late we are training sat and sunday for the sessions then. Still on for trying to break my PB for 5km in Kilcock and I think I might run Dunshaughlin with Mr. Slow if he approves?

Now to figure out how to get to Dunshaughlin! :P

Hey everyone sorry to have disappeared for the last couple of weeks....been insanely busy the last while.,

I have been completely off the radar the last couple of weeks. The injury was the knee, I had a problem with cartilidge a couple years back but hadnt been hit by it till monday..... which was a load of balls. I skipped tuesdays session because it didn't feel right.

Did my flex session wednesday... though only a short one..... And did the the prescribed session last night....felt really good last night and the strides were grand.... If I could run at that spped for 5km by the end of the year I will be absolutely delighted... Had felt a slight pull in my groin though which I was a little worried about...

RACE REPORT St. Coca's Race:

Right so got there a little late so my warm up was not what I would have liked but so so **** happens..... I decided I wanted to try something new and take a gel before hand to see if it helped.... BIG MISTAKE and you will see why later... Powerbar strawberry and Banana. Doesn't taste so bad.

So hit the race and felt my groin a little again.... Started out harder than the Donore 5km and it showed as my first km was a good 15 seconds faster. Felt good after the first km and thought.... though being the operative word I keep the 3.5x pace up for most of the race.

Missed the split for the 2km but I can presume it was the 3.55/4.00 range which I would be happy with...

Hit 3km on 12 on the button which I was quite please with considering I started to struggle about 300/400m before the marker.... I got a serious almight stitch which I can only presume came from the gel because it was out character with my normal pre race routine..... changed and shortened my stride which seemed to help it and though I basically slowed for 1500m to just after the 4km mark. At this point I had gone slightly backwards but I felt ok so one of the senior runners was ahead of me. She had passed me at 3.5km and opened a 50m+ gap on me as I tried to get rid of the stitch. Increased my stride rate and made it my goal to pass her before I hit the finish line. Went past her with maybe 400m to go and she tried to go with me but I just flew by her...was delighted cuz I went over the line in 20.27 which is just over a minute off my PB.

Honest opinion, there is definitely more in the tank. My legs felt good for most of it. Need to do some serious work on my breathin and form but like when I needed to go back and say hit my 4min a km pace I was able to up it straight away and basically ran 4 of the km at 4 mins with the 4th km being the bogie at 4.3x. Again not sure of exact time but you can see urself.

Happy enough with how it went, slightly disappointed I didn't go sub 20 mins cuz I definitely feel it was there to be done! though the ran was fuking insane.... fairly heavy but I loved every minute of it. Even got complimented by a couple of the local trainers who said I was running well... twas nice...

Also had the please of meeting some of the top athletes in the country with Andrew Ledwith and another guy who is hoping to run at the olympics..... Race was run in 13:xx which is just insanely fast!

Anyway..sorry for the rambling message. Am ready to get back to training....

Also out for tomorrow guys..... have a lecture for my prof qualificiation....Let me know when the next 5km is... :)

Andrew

Well done dude, great running!

Ok suppose I better keep this up to date.

Summary.

Saturday:

Rest day after the race on Friday. Actually felt quite fresh and could have probably gone out but after the little injury mishap last week I decided I would play it safe.

Sunday:

Went rock climbing :)....But was all ready to go for a run last night when got caught completely on the hop by something and my mood last night was not the best. Had to be literally held back from going out the door and running myself into the ground and doing myself an injury I was that pissed off....

Monday:

Got a lovely nights sleep but must have picked up a bug because I now feel AWFUL..... Have mocks for my exams coming up next week and I couldn even put more than half an hours study at any time this evenin together which is highly unusual....

Got a schedule for the week but again as always have tampered with it in the hope that I have just picked up a 24 hour bug and an early night and some rest this evening will give it a kik.

Anyway.... now actual training to report:rolleyes:.

Would willingly do anything to get just one months consistent training in cuz the lsat couple have been frustrating at times.

• Advertisement

So update on how I am feeling. Went to the doc this morning and have a bad case of tonsilitis so am not going to be running for a few days....

Will look to try get out late this week but am going to play it by year cuz the antibiotics are fairly strong...

Advertisement