Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The road to recovery....a second attempt!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭Mr Slow

Perkina3 wrote: »
    So update on how I am feeling. Went to the doc this morning and have a bad case of tonsilitis so am not going to be running for a few days....

Will look to try get out late this week but am going to play it by year cuz the antibiotics are fairly strong...

You'll need to rest through that chief, if you push yourself you could make things a lot worse, believe me.

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭Perkina3

Will try to dude.... two days out when I should have been training and I am getting antsy.....

Ah well... fuk it.... Penecillin...tis AWESOME!

Oh yeah... I might run that that business house 5km in a couple weeks Mr. Slow if you are interested....I want to run sub 20 soon....

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Oh yeah... I might run that that business house 5km in a couple weeks Mr. Slow if you are interested....I want to run sub 20 soon....
    The one in Ringsend?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

If you're thinking of doing the Irish runner 5 mile, entries close tomorrow...

Grand... I am going to get my name in there so...Even if I don't do it I owuld rather have me name in! Cheers for the heads up there Ray!

Andrew

• Advertisement

right really quick update.... I am just starting my last day of antibiotics.... an felt good so decided to pop out for a quick jaunt.

7km in c. 36min.... This felt real good, I decided I was just going to run at a pace that was comfortable and I really enjoyed this run...

However, I have been told no running till 2 days after my dose of antibiotics! so Thursday... here I bloody come... cannot wait...

been a ****ty 2 and a bit weeks...

And finally.... I am back...again.... hehe

Ah no finished the anti biotics a couple days ago and was straight into mock exams which I finished yesterday.

Did an 8km hike (Had planned to do more but the weather closed in very badly last night so we turned around)) This in cluded a nice 2km run with a 15lb pack at 12km an hour pace.... It was a good feeling :)

Also I will see everyone who is running the 5 miler bright and early on next Saturday :)

I will see everyone who is running the 5 miler bright and early on next Saturday :)

You'll be seeing me heading off into the distance! :D

You wish Mr. Slow.... I am going to be on your shoulder the whole way! Boom! Let you lead it out and then smoke you down the home stretch

You wish Mr. Slow.... I am going to be on your shoulder the whole way! Boom! Let you lead it out and then smoke you down the home stretch

We shall see young man, but if you're going to call me out, you had better be there for the pints afterwards!

• Advertisement

I will be there.... don't worry... won't be drinking cuz I am driving but I will be there! haha

Today... well today pissed me off cuz I had said I had wanted the car this morning... but oh well

I will be there.... don't worry... won't be drinking cuz I am driving but I will be there! haha

Today... well today pissed me off cuz I had said I had wanted the car this morning... but oh well

Leave the car at home, nothing tastes as good as post race beer!

Mr Slow wrote: »
    Leave the car at home, nothing tastes as good as post race beer!

Aye I know but I will also be studying for half the day so I have toi drive in unfortunately....

Training: Sunday 10th July

Went for what was meant to be about a 20 minute recovery run but it ended up being just over 30 mins.... Was a very enjoyable run and I just chilled out and listened to music for most of it...

Nice to get another run in and hopefully I can get a good run on training now... Its been a very frustrating 3 weeks....

Monday:

Well another days training down.. Am happy with this...Ran bout 37 mins....Just short of the prescribed 40 minutes...Was a lovely relaxing run today....After making a bloody mountain of cous cous...Some nice stuff....

Tired now but going to bed to do some flex work and other work...

Only got in at 22.00 so its going to be a late night all round!

Tweaked my training in anticipation of going to a club training...... at 20.00.... So did my 40mins with strides in the middle today

Yeah got that totally wrong.... Turns out club training is at 19.00....DOH!

So I went ahead and did my traing on my own....Forgot a watch...another DOH so training went like this

3.2km easy pace

5x300 intervals at goal 5km pace (Jesus I dunno how I am going to do this for 5 km :P) and 100m walk around

2.8km at easy pace...

Total distance 8km.

Total distance for the week: 19.4km.

Twas a nice run.... I was tired at tthe end of this.....

@ Mr. Slow... given how I have been running this week and struggling slightly for pace....This may not be as close as I would like but I will give it my best shot :)

@ Mr. Slow... given how I have been running this week and struggling slightly for pace....This may not be as close as I would like but I will give it my best shot :)

You called me out and now you're sandbagging?

Now hold on...Never said I was doing anything....Merely stated that my training this week is not what I would have liked... Just struggling for any kind a pace this week....

On another note....

Training Wednesday:

Was meant to do the core session I switched around with my run from yesterday.... Eh... Yeah.. That went out the window after my GAA session (Session was good an tough.... lots of shorts sprints and mini games etc etc good and tough) ... Used my brothers boots.... BBAAAAAD MISTAKE..... Feet are in BITS.... cannot stress it enuf lol....

Tomorrow is a rest day sooo I am going to rest my feet and do a few sit ups and press ups.... will catch up that core session before sunday..... hoping my feet are alright for the shuttles etc....

Mr Slow wrote: »

Oh I is going to SMOOOOOKE you now boi!!!

I was tring to behave myself and not leave a comment on ur training log but now it really on like Donkey Kong!

Its going to be Perkina3 1 V MRS LOW 0

Anyway enough smack talk:

Did a nice 20 minute relaxed recovery run today and while I am still sore from GAA training I felt good in the end... will be interested to see how I run tomorrow

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

Congrats on the PB today. Still more to come from you once we get some consistent training under you over the next few weeks/months

• Advertisement

Oh I is going to SMOOOOOKE you now boi!!!

I was tring to behave myself and not leave a comment on ur training log but now it really on like Donkey Kong!

Its going to be Perkina3 1 V MRS LOW 0

:D

It's ok Mrs. low :P...I let you win that one ya know! ;)

But we shall have a rematch don't you worry.... A 5km later in the year.....

More than likely I will be going to hibernation for the next couple of months with no races and just training but after you have recovered from the DCM in like late November/early December we shall have our rematch over 5km :D

Monday 18th

Ok, So I have slept like 6 hours since Saturday so I ran tonight...It was 38 minutes just short of the 40 prescribed...It was a struggle to get out but once I got into it I was fine...However, I was exhausted by the end of it like... so I have moved my planned flex session to later in the week....There is a yoga class later this week which I am considering looking at...

All in all nice run... and now I am off to bed :)

Sorry bout the length of time it has taken me to post this but I think I have been studying too hard:eek:

Basically it has been a mixed week training wise... A couple of missed sessions BUT the long term benefit of what I may get from missing them means I was happy to do it

Basically, I knew I was going to have to take an unscheduled rest day on Tuesday (Left my house at 7.30 am and got back after midnight) shattered.

Wednesday:

Had 75 mins GAA football training...This was bloody intense... and it involved a lot of sprinting but I have to say I really enjoyed it....Anyway got straight home and went out and did my scheduled running session too being

15 mins easy 8x1min hill reps 15 mins easy....Twas tough and really struggled with the hills after the GAA training....

Thursday:

Was meant to pick up the core I missed on tuesday but had a physio session planned and went to this and was going to do it when I came back....

Shoulder has caused me problems recently and so went along and I believe we have finally pinpointed a problem which has affected me since I was 18....I am fukin delighted... and I am more than happy to have sacrificed a days training to get to the bottom of it and have it treated properly.

Friday: Another long day.... Picked up the 30 min recovery just about but will be doing the accompanying flex session on sunday due to time contraints...

Saturday:

My right calf was really at me and again was under pressure time wise so cut my session slightly....

Plan was: 10 mins easy 2x12 mins tempo with 3 mins recovery and 10 mins easy

Actual was: 7 mins easy 2x10 mins tempo with 3 mins recovery and 7 mins easy....I needed to cut this short as I was meeting a friend..

Sunday:

ANother days studying but also I have a 50 mins easy run with the flex session from friday...

Joining the gym again tomorrow and will be lookin to pick up a yoga session during the week as well :)

Ok so really quickly here as I am meant to be studying :P

Eh went for a run yesterday...40 minutes easy.... ended up just shy of this at 38.xx but was happy enough because I had felt so good I had belted out the last half mile at a faster than 'easy' pace cuz I wanted to stretch my legs. Also had hit the gym that morning so was a good days training all round..... Got some flexibility done last night but not liking how I am feeling so some more of it will be done most days this week I think

Also on a more crappy note....picked up another bout of tonsilitis and while I feel fine now and will continue to train I will be keeping a close eye on it and if I feel like crap will drop the training for a couple of days.

Finally, hitting a club session tonight which I am looking forward to....kiinda.... Not sure if they are going run the crap outta me or wahts the craic but should be interesting.

Session for tonight will probably be saturdays session of tempo running and I will look to move my hill reps to saturday and my core to tomorrow.... eep... here goes :P

Sup Guys.... so yeah... the next few weeks/ 2 months my access to this are going to be limited.... so once or twice I will be posting only sorry...

Tuesday:

I was down to do core work but I really wanted to make it to my club session so I moved things around and replaced the tempo run I had down on wednesday for 3km of fartlek training with my club.... It was a grand session... Really enjoyed it

Wednesday:

Mini Core session with some flex work cuz I missed the one on monday

Thursday...

Played a half of Gaelic... Ran my arse off and really enjoyed it

Friday
    Missed the bloody relaxed training session with flex this week...Was feeling very very tired and I also messed up something up in my house in Dublin so I had to go back up... So had no time for this session

Saturday:
    I went into the gym for this one....I don;t live anywhere close to hills..... It was 15 mins easy.....8x70seconds at 11km @ level 15 incline... It was tough but good.,....Then 15 mins easy

This session was hard... Heavy leg pumping and there was a hint of snot bubbles near the end :P

Sunday:

50mins easy.... Nice and handy.....9.2kms and it was all good :)

Did an hour of weights too to build up my upper body strength...All in all it was a good session.

Ok so in the absence of my training programme being received tonight I decided to go out and do what I normally do on a monday...

40 mins easy was what it's meant to have been but it turned out that I just couldn't keep my pace down on the normal route and I ended up doing my route for this night in 36 minutes and change.... It was actually a very chilled out and relaxed run...I think I may have to speed up my slow runs :P

Hey,

Ok so heres for my weekly update! :P....

Eh yeah so training has not gone .....at all this week...Actually started the week very well BUT.... a knock which I had trained with a for a few days because VERY VERY sore and I have not been able to train since Wednesday.... Think it's a cracked rib and yes I know that don't exactly affect running it doest when u constantly grabbing ur ribs while running cuz u took too deep a breath...

I meant to get it looked at in the Physio Thursday night but my car decided to **** its load on thursday and broke down so I have been carless since....

I am booked to the physio tomorrow and I think it's a cracked rib :/....I have rested it the last few days in the hope I can get out and do something tonight or tomorrow.... So the plan is to for a short run maybe 30 mins....(I am scheduled for 60 mins but we shall see how the 30 feels)....

I should be able to train this week me thinks and hopefully I can run the celbridge 5k but tbh I have a couple of big things coming up and if the Physio says no training whatsoever, then so be it cuz I really need this to piss off and go away...

All I am asking is one month of training where I don't pick up a knock playing football or get sick... It's getting ridiculous at this stage.... Fukin 3/4 months of this bull :mad::mad::mad:

Ok so good news and bad news!

Good news... got out for a 32 minute run.... Ran my slow run slap (Obviously a bit quiker than I would be doing my slow runs and I came back alive so thats a plus)

Bad news:

Ribs not comfortable at all during the run and while now I am back I feel I could have done a bit more I was not happy at all out there...

Other than that.... I concentrated on my breathing and form while out tonight so as to keep my mind occupied and I was quite happy with how it went because my running style means I move my upper body alot which hurts like hell atm and I managed to reduce it quite a bit

Definitely into the physio tomorrow but I can't see it being anyhting decent...

Happy I got out but wish I had done more

• Advertisement

Celbridge???

Advertisement