Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to become a Field Services Engineer

Options
  • 27-04-2011 4:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭

Hi all

Getting seriously bored with unemployment. Trying to get back into IT. I'm 25, studied Information Systems Development at DIT (but dropped out in final year so no certification whatsoever besides leaving cert.)

Want to become a Field Services Engineer - how do I do this?

I've been Google-ing the job etc but can't seem to find anything that shows the career paths available. ie do I enter a company as a field services engineer or do I have to start in another role?

More importantly, what qualifications would I need. I've studied Cisco CCNA in college but since I didn't complete 4th year, never got certified. Would I need to do this again or is there another course more suitable?

I am willing to "shadow" someone for no pay for a while to get some experience.

Thanks for all your help.

Ciaran

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭NullZer0

I'd say finish the CCNA and progress towards the CCNP if you like the networking side of things (based on what you've done already). Its a serious door opener if you know your stuff - nothing else comes close (except maybe the VCP but I don't know how that market is right now).

See what others say - I tend to lean more towards Cisco as thats my route (no pun intended :D )

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭Ciaran187

Cheers. Got onto a company that do that sort of work in Dublin. He told me to get the Microsoft MCITP Enterprise Administrator qualification and I could just walk into a job with that. In total it's 35 days lessons with 5 exams.

Here's hoping.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭rolion

Firstly,you have to make the difference between System Administrator and System Engineer...

Field Service Engineer is commonly seen in outsourcing IT companies,providing IT support to other companies. Involved dealing with different sites,technologies and people almost every day ! Also,human factor in this kind of companies is very important,as you will have to share same 'information' with another set of pooled engineers working in same company along all sites...I mean,you can have a site with 3 servers and 50 desktops where all of your colleagues can do any setup/changes/support/installation without your approval or even worse,without you knowing it...so you'll find that the IP address for upstairs printer is not the same as the one you left it last time ! :) Of course,that is not possible in a serious environment ...but you know,you'll see it someday...

I will start with A+,N+,S+.
    Then go for CCNA,for networking side.
    Microsoft is ok as most of the companies have Microsoft networks,beside Server and AD i will push big for Exchange.

... then, i will do Project+ and Security+ to give me a broader exposure to market.

Some companies wants you to do some hardware manfucatured relate dtraining (such as VMWare,HP,IBM,Sonicwall and so on)as that is compulsory for the sales guys to get some deals...
    After getting some experience,i will move upward to projects,design,pre-sales ...or... programming where real moneys are...

good luck and welcome to SysAdmin world...

PS
    those exams are not enough to get you a job,as mostly will be more beside it...
    http://www.irishjobs.ie/Jobs/Field-Service-Engineer-Immediate-interviews-6502060.aspx
    http://www.irishjobs.ie/Jobs/FIELD-SERVICE-ENGINEER-6482331.aspx

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,661 ✭✭✭mickman

i am in IT for 10 years and earn more than many programmers so the idea of the big money being in development is not true. maybe average salaries are higher but not for everyone

i am cisco, vmware, microsoft , linux and emc qualified. exams are hugely important. every job i apply for i get called for an interview due to my certs as it proves that i want to learn and get ahead. companies love that

i worked many years in field service, its a very good role to get experience in as you see a lot of different kit

my advice to you is do a fas course in IT, at the same time do the microsoft and cisco exams.

some dude here who is a sys admin called vmware a hardware certification :-) vmware is totally software dude.

to get the big money you have to be certified in whats in demand now, at present and for the forseeable future that is vmware, citrix and storage

Advertisement