Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Microsoft issues security warning

• 27-04-2011 4:47pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,464 ✭✭✭

http://kotaku.com/#!5796116/now-microsoft-is-issuing-security-warnings

Contents are:

First Sony has a little trouble with its online security, and now Microsoft is issuing warnings about people running "phishing" scams over Xbox Live. A "phishing" attempt is when a player is contacted by another in an attempt to get hold of things like service passwords and credit card information. It's a fairly common thing over online services, but there are obviously enough attempts going on related to a single title at this specific time (in this case, Modern Warfare 2) that Microsoft needed to put up a warning about it.
    It's hardly on the same scale as Sony's prolonged and widespread downtime, of course, and far from the first time such a warning has been issued for Xbox Live, but there are suspicions that the two are related, if only because all the attention focused on Sony's service has surely attracted extra scumbags hoping to cash in (and encouraged Microsoft to be a little more cautious than normal).

:rolleyes:- Let's be honest, anyone who gives away their account details to a randomer is being a small bit thick.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭Placebo

foxerv1 wrote: »

:rolleyes:- Let's be honest, anyone who gives away their account details to a randomer is being a small bit thick.

Please do explain your logic ":rolleyes:"
    not everyone is computer savy enough to look at the status bar or notice the URL. For some people its just type and go, same way its plug and play.

Its not a Nigerian princess asking you to come collect your lotto.
    Its a company you know/acknowledge and are registered with.

I can easily just sent your a mail from xbox, with their exact email address, would you be smart enough to look at the header info of the email ? ":rolleyes:"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,464 ✭✭✭ibFoxer

Placebo wrote: »
    Please do explain your logic ":rolleyes:"
    not everyone is computer savy enough to look at the status bar or notice the URL. For some people its just type and go, same way its plug and play.

Its not a Nigerian princess asking you to come collect your lotto.
    Its a company you know/acknowledge and are registered with.

I can easily just sent your a mail from xbox, with their exact email address, would you be smart enough to look at the header info of the email ? ":rolleyes:"

AFAIK this refers to the type of scam where player A is contacted by player B with the message to go to site Y and input your details to get x amount of billy bucks. I have gotten a few of these messages from time to time myself, so it is in this regard that i say what i say.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,162 ✭✭✭TheMooseInNam

I think you're both right!

Yes, it's a very foolish of people to believe those messages but obviously plenty of people do fall for this, otherwise MS wouldn't have issued the warning.

Anyway, good posts guys, it's well worth bringing it to peoples attention.

Advertisement