Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

(photoshop) Help

Options
  • 27-04-2011 5:45pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 22,048 ✭✭✭✭

Hi

Ive been working on a project useing this Tutorial Only problem is Im having trouble with a few points and Ive been trying for the past two days and just cant seem to get my head around it :(
    http://abduzeedo.com/reader-tutorial-revolution-artwork-aoiro-studio

Im on step 3, the problem is getting that nice glowing effect its my first time trying the photoshop tutorials and ive tried a few different ways.. I'm just not getting a sharp enough result any one got any ideas..

Thank you :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭Bears and Vodka

Abduzeedo is a great site, but their tuts are a little bit more advanced than you probably need right now since you are new.
    But regarding your problem, can you post a screenshot ? Then we'll be able to judge better and give you some advice.

As they said duplicate your text layer and move it to the left a bit.

To get that borderline add a stroke to your text by double clicking the original text layer and clicking ''Stroke''. Then when you are happy with the stroke, set Fill of the layer to 0%.

To get the glow go into Layer Styles again (double click the layer) and click ''Outer Glow''

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,048 ✭✭✭✭Snowie

subz3r0 wrote: »
    Abduzeedo is a great site, but their tuts are a little bit more advanced than you probably need right now since you are new.
    But regarding your problem, can you post a screenshot ? Then we'll be able to judge better and give you some advice.

As they said duplicate your text layer and move it to the left a bit.

To get that borderline add a stroke to your text by double clicking the original text layer and clicking ''Stroke''. Then when you are happy with the stroke, set Fill of the layer to 0%.

To get the glow go into Layer Styles again (double click the layer) and click ''Outer Glow''

I think your right it is a bit more advanced but I only know one way to aim :D(sorry ) but ive gotten far in it.. considering how complcated This one is.

Im going to throw up a screen shot its not very good i fear because Im using a lap top with a two screen set up.... so I can look at advise and jump to photoshop (adicitive) to :D

viewere.png

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

hows this does this help at all ?

thank you

Right so to get the glow double-click that Media layer to bring out the Layer Styles window and select "Outer Glow". Set your colour to white and increase size and opacity to get a bigger glow if you want. Does that help ?

Right so to get the glow double-click that Media layer to bring out the Layer Styles window and select "Outer Glow". Set your colour to white and increase size and opacity to get a bigger glow if you want. Does that help ?

Its getting there thanks :) the the sides kinda look like if you just ripped a peace of papper but it is glowing, again the other issue is the colours dull I really want it to pop out which just seems difficult to do.... But thank you its getting there :D

O dear :D.....

Face palm ..... i think i was useing the wrong outter glow and had noise up there which is another reason why it wasnt working im just ballancing the glow and sise of the glow with the layers as im useing to layers to creat the 3d effect :)

But im nearly there

Thanks man :)

• Advertisement

Yea sometimes the key to it is to read the instructions, then re-read them :) After Step 6 I have this result. If you are still stuck I can give you my PSD file so you can have a look although I might have done the text a bit differently.

c24d88a3.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 Fishtankdiver

If you haven't already you should check out www.guygowan.com. His online tutorials, action set and free webinars turn old theory's on their head and make your life a lot simpler. I have saved untold hours spent on post production work and am now producing much better images in a fraction of the time...

Yea sometimes the key to it is to read the instructions, then re-read them :) After Step 6 I have this result. If you are still stuck I can give you my PSD file so you can have a look although I might have done the text a bit differently.

c24d88a3.jpg

Id love to say yep to the psd but its a college assignment End of year. and im trying to do as mush my self you no my biggist issue is getting that bluey glowe and make the color grab ya bye the short and curlys if that makes sense... :)?

its very dull at the moment presumably that just playing with inner glow and outter glow and getting a mix of opacity and fill??

man that looks cool how did you get the lines Can I say I hate you :p ?

If you haven't already you should check out www.guygowan.com. His online tutorials, action set and free webinars turn old theory's on their head and make your life a lot simpler. I have saved untold hours spent on post production work and am now producing much better images in a fraction of the time...

Thats a really good site :) Im gonna sign up to that maybe when i have some money do you want a referal ? :p
    but no really usefull thank you....

OK ill try to explain how I made those. To get thr bluish glow in the background get a soft white brush (soft meaning smooth, gradientish edges). Then create a new layer above the background layer, paint some white spots where you want the glow. Then set that layer to Overlay.
    To make the lines its a little bit more awkward. Again on a new layer paint a white spot with a smooth brush. Then cut away one half of the spot and delete it. Then using the Free Transform Tool drag out the half-circle you have left into the shape you want. Set it to Overlay, duplicate the shape, put them in different combinations like I have on the pic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 Fishtankdiver

No need for referral, but thanks anyway. Hope you get as much out of it as I have!

• Advertisement

OK ill try to explain how I made those. To get thr bluish glow in the background get a soft white brush (soft meaning smooth, gradientish edges). Then create a new layer above the background layer, paint some white spots where you want the glow. Then set that layer to Overlay.
    To make the lines its a little bit more awkward. Again on a new layer paint a white spot with a smooth brush. Then cut away one half of the spot and delete it. Then using the Free Transform Tool drag out the half-circle you have left into the shape you want. Set it to Overlay, duplicate the shape, put them in different combinations like I have on the pic.

hey man thanks so much :)

Ill get it finished and il pm you a jepeg of it when im done ok

thank you :D

Advertisement