Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lump between cat's shoulders

• 27-04-2011 6:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭

OK so as the title says I've found a lump between my cats shoulder blades. He's 7 months old and just under 2 weeks ago he had his second feline leukimia vaccination so am thinking it's a reaction to it? So it was given to him close enough to between his shoulder blades although I'm after reading that it shouldn't be given there although I don't entirely understand why. It's kinda like a wee round ball about a half an inch in size, and I can move it, if that makes sense, I can grab it and feel it and it's under the skin, and sometimes it sinks and I can't fiind it. It doesn't seem to hurt him if I touch it or push it in or anything so I'm thinking a reaction to the vaccine maybe? I was going to maybe watch it and see if it changes in about a week or does anybody think that it's more serious than that? I was worried about it being cancer at first but as I can move it and it seems like it's not attached to anything I figured that it probably can't be cancer. Anyway any suggestions are welcome. Do you think I need to bring him to the vet now or wait for a bit first?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,842 ✭✭✭shinikins

I always maintain that if you keep wondering about it, it must be worrying you! Go to the vet, it may be something as simple as a cyst, but why take the chance!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,726 ✭✭✭Worztron

There would be no way of being certain without going to the vet. I wish you and your kitty well.

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 476 ✭✭Blueprint

I think it's quite common for this type of lump to form after vaccination ( I vaguely recall one of the vets warning me about it after one of my lot was done), but why not give the vets a call and ask them about it just to be sure, if you don't actually want to bring the cat back in? They should most likely be able to reassure you over the phone if it's a common occurrence or not...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭Shazanne

Sounds very like a cyst and also something that could, if required, be removed quite easily. But, as the others say, if its worrying you then take him along to the vet to be sure. No point in being sorry later. Best of luck to you and him:)

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭lilsis

Hey guys. Thanks for the advise. Just wanted to let you know that I contacted the vet and he tole me to keep an eye on it for a week or two as he thought it was a reaction from the vaccine. So within the week it's already gone down a lot and I can barely feel it now so all's well and Gizmo is just fine. Thanks though for you help.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭boomerang

lilsis wrote: »
    Hey guys. Thanks for the advise. Just wanted to let you know that I contacted the vet and he tole me to keep an eye on it for a week or two as he thought it was a reaction from the vaccine. So within the week it's already gone down a lot and I can barely feel it now so all's well and Gizmo is just fine. Thanks though for you help.

Ah, I'm glad to hear that. There is a risk of vaccine-related sarcoma with the FeLV vaccine, but it surely wouldn't develop that fast. Just keep an eye on it. Love to Gizmo! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,726 ✭✭✭Worztron

Hi lilsis. I'm glad to hear your cat is okay.

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

Advertisement