Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help, CPU cooler needed

Options
  • 27-04-2011 6:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭

Hi,

Anybody know where I can get my hands on a CPU cooler for a Sandy Bridge LGA1155 Socket processor? I am based in Dublin.
    Planning to do a build on this saturday (30th April) so online retailers probably not an option at this stage.

Will give peats a call in the morning, not sure they would have that in stock. Not too fussy if it's any good or not, I just want to get the machine up and running, I can replace it with something better later.

I messed up ordering an OEM processor instead of the boxed one that includes the cooler, price difference was only €3!

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,180 ✭✭✭Serephucus

If you're anywhere around Kildare, I have the stock cooler from my 950 still around here somewhere. Since 1156 and 1155 use the same mounting holes that's work. I could give it to you for a tenner or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭game4it70

Serephucus wrote: »
    If you're anywhere around Kildare, I have the stock cooler from my 950 still around here somewhere. Since 1156 and 1155 use the same mounting holes that's work. I could give it to you for a tenner or something.

The 950 is skt. 1366 so the stock cooler wont work on SB skt ;)

Here is one that will do you and is cheap http://www.peats.com/cgi-bin/catalog_v2.cgi?id=27487&type=product or they even have the stock ones too http://www.peats.com/cgi-bin/catalog_v2.cgi?id=27803&type=product

There both not very good but would tide you over until you get a decent one from any of the online retailers as peats dont have a good selection or the best value.

game4it70 wrote: »
    The 950 is skt. 1366 so the stock cooler wont work on SB skt ;).

Bugger

That's got to be one of the most... ugh.

I'd have a look on Adverts for people around you area. No point spending a bunch of money on some POS thing when you know you're going to replace it.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭matban

game4it70 wrote: »
    The 950 is skt. 1366 so the stock cooler wont work on SB skt ;)

Here is one that will do you and is cheap http://www.peats.com/cgi-bin/catalog_v2.cgi?id=27487&type=product or they even have the stock ones too http://www.peats.com/cgi-bin/catalog_v2.cgi?id=27803&type=product

There both not very good but would tide you over until you get a decent one from any of the online retailers as peats dont have a good selection or the best value.

Thanks, will call them in the morning, Maplin may have something also.

Any recommendations for a decent SB cooler for the long term solution?

SB really doesn't need that much cooling. Are you planning on OCing? If yes, what sort of speeds are you aiming for?

If not, even the stock cooler would do fine.

• Advertisement

I got a 2600K, so I will probably OC up to whatever is safe for standard air cooling.

Would it be safe to boot it up a few times without any cooling? just to test BIOS stuff, devices etc? Any ideas on how long you could manage withouts any damage risks?

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭Messerschmitt

Would it be safe to boot it up a few times without any cooling? just to test BIOS stuff, devices etc? Any ideas on how long you could manage withouts any damage risks?

Don't. Probably won't go past POST anyways if there is no fan pugged in.

That's sort of vague... I'd assume you're wanting in the range of 4.6GHz or so then. Something like this is cheap, but pretty good. Lots of people around here like it, though I've never used one. I've in fact only ever used one air cooler. The rest has been water.

I wouldn't attempt it. If you really want to, I'd say you might manage a second or two without hardware damage, as from what I've seen, it usually takes closer to three to BSOD.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

No, never boot up without cooling. NEVER.

With the standard heatsink, you can go usually above 4GHz. I've seen people get 4.4GHz easily enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭massy086

i should have a 1156 stock cooler send me a pm and i.ll look im in dublin also

• Advertisement

I got sorted in Peat's

Got an Alpenfoehn Nordwand, €64.99, it's a big bugger

Thanks for all your suggestions

Advertisement