Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Self ban

Options
  • 27-04-2011 7:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,243 ✭✭✭

Is it possible to request a temporary ban from boards? An example would be if someone was in college and they had exams coming up and were spending too much time posting here and didn't have the self discipline to just stop.
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,775 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

They don't do temp sitebans anymore. Will power - it's your only man.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Hill Billy wrote: »
    ............ Will power - it's your only man.

Do you need a prescription for it though?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

Can this Will Power fellow ban users?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

Pm me your password. I will then change it and only return it to you on the date you specify.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,339 ✭✭✭✭LoLth

and just how is he supposed to log in to collect it again on that date? :)

OP we dont do temp sitebans anymore mainly because users were requesting them in huge amounts coming up to exam time and if we forgot one or it wasnt enacted on time then boards.ie got the blame for any problems that arose (I didnt study and I failed. its all boards.ie's fault!).

Unfortunately as already stated willpower is your only option. OR, to take tbh's suggestion, get a trusted friend or family member to change your password and only tell you the new one on a specific date but dont get angry at them if you ask for it and they give it to you before that time. Just like your posts, you are responsible for your own actions and controlling your internet intake is just another part of that.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

When willpower is not enough try a browser addon.
    Like this one for firefox:
    https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/leechblock/
    Dead handy if you need to get away from boards or the next site you move onto to procrastinate.
    There's always another site :(

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

Ooh, I know, change your password by mashing your hand on your keyboard on a .doc file, paste this into your UserCP new password bit, log out, and print out the .doc file. Then send this in a letter to an address that doesn't exist in Australia and put your return address on the back of the letter. It will go all around the world and come back to you eventually, you open the letter and get your password. Or you can repeat this as many times as you like!

You could do this with other stuff too, print out your full name on a piece of paper and send it to New York and you can tell people that you've visited New York. North Korea too, that'd be a conversation starter in the pub. Although, admittedly when you finish your story they will feel a little cheated. :)

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

I never really grasped this. It stops you posting, and viewing some private forums, but I'd assume most people actually like reading threads here, so it doesn't really stop that unless you have the willpower not to just log out and read, in which case you have the willpower to stop posting in the fist place.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

LoLth wrote: »
    and just how is he supposed to log in to collect it again on that date? :)

OP we dont do temp sitebans anymore mainly because users were requesting them in huge amounts coming up to exam time and if we forgot one or it wasnt enacted on time then boards.ie got the blame for any problems that arose (I didnt study and I failed. its all boards.ie's fault!).

Unfortunately as already stated willpower is your only option. OR, to take tbh's suggestion, get a trusted friend or family member to change your password and only tell you the new one on a specific date but dont get angry at them if you ask for it and they give it to you before that time. Just like your posts, you are responsible for your own actions and controlling your internet intake is just another part of that.

tbh will change the OP's password, and then change it back to their original password on a pre agreed date.

although as you say your self, willpower and self control is needed here.

edit

just looking at your postcount OP, dont think your to addicted anyway, 461 posts in just over a year, unless they are all in the cuckoos nest, i'd say you'll manage.

;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,637 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

We could arrange to just not say anything of interest till the exams are over thereby removing temptation.
    I've started already.

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

That's the dad from Freaks and Geeks! :cool:

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,468 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

hardCopy wrote: »
    That's the dad from Freaks and Geeks! :cool:

And you know what happened to him?

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

It would be handy if you could set logon times on your account - eg no logons between 23:00 and 06:00.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

And you know what happened to him?
    DEAD!

Advertisement