Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kiwi Plants

Options
  • 27-04-2011 7:11pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭

Ok I bought 2 Kiwi Trees in Lidl a couple of years back. Planted them out in very sandy soil but really didn't tend them too much, this year I got serious and built a support structure and tied them up. One plant seems in good condition while the other is just sprouting foilage now. I know I need a male and female plants to pollinate to produce fruit.

1. How do I tell if I have male or Fem plants?
    2. Has anyone got growing tips? Pruning, feeding, watering etc

Thanks in advance
    Corsendonk

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭karl tyrrell

from a book
    kiwis require a warm site preferably against a wall as their young growths and flowers are easily damaged by late frosts.they need rich loamy soil and strong supports. they will grow but not crop in shade. some of the early varieties such as hayward are female only and require one male to be planted to every half dozen females.modern varieties are self fertile though they may perform better if planted with others to cross pollinate.some species similarly need pollinators so it is often best to plant several more than three to be sure of getting one male for several female plants.
    growing under glass
    if crops are wanted kiwis have to be grow under glass to give them the warmth and long season they require.however thay take up a lot of space.they like similar conditions to tomatoes so the two could possibly grow together.

Advertisement