Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My dog has a cold.

• 27-04-2011 8:01pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 235 ✭✭

My poor little chap has a cold, he's just so miserable at the moment and just sleeping all the time. I have a cold/man flu as well, could he have caught it from me or would it be a different virus? Lastly, is there anything I can give him? He's only a Shih Tzu, weighs approx 8kg (I think!).

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

Ah poor thing. But I love the way you freely admit to "man-flu".

What are his symptoms? If he's coughing etc, has he had his vaccinations? If he has then a small spoon of honey will help ease his throat. Keep his eyes cleaned of any gunk and allow him plenty of rest. I suppose treat it in the same way as you'd treat yourself. Relaxation, lots of sleep and good food.

However, if it's been going on a few days, or if he seems very lethargic, then you will need to speak to your vet, just to be sure nothing more serious is wrong. Most vets are happy to speak over the phone, listen the the symptoms, then advise if a visit is necessary.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 235 ✭✭TheAnswer

^^^^
    Thanks Whispered, he's actually due his annual boosters this week but vet told me to hold off til he's well again. Not sure how I'd get him to take honey tbh! He's eating fine and drinking plenty of water so I hope he just gets better soon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

I'm sure he'll take honey no problem!! I had a litter of staffy pups here a few years ago who arrived with kennel cough, they were like little bears licking the honey off each others noses. I use peanut butter to persuade dogs to take their tablets etc too. Most dogs love a bit of sweetness.

A friend swears by manuka honey when his dogs have a cough, apparently antibacterial too. You could try it, I've never known anybody to have problems getting their dog to eat it, but yours could be the exception :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭ISDW

I put the manuka honey into the drinking water:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭cocker5

TheAnswer wrote: »
    My poor little chap has a cold, he's just so miserable at the moment and just sleeping all the time. I have a cold/man flu as well, could he have caught it from me or would it be a different virus? Lastly, is there anything I can give him? He's only a Shih Tzu, weighs approx 8kg (I think!).

i gave my guy calpol for babies when he had a cold.... worked wonders...

its the calpol for young babies.. give him a small amount and he will feel great after a good night sleep :o

• Advertisement

Thanks for all your comments, I have Calpol! I think I'll try that. He was at the groomers last week who also has kennels, i wonder could he have caught something there? Is kennel cough serious? should I take him to the vet?
    Thanks for all your concern for my manflu too! I'm recovering (manfully) thanks.:D

Thanks for all your comments, I have Calpol! I think I'll try that. He was at the groomers last week who also has kennels, i wonder could he have caught something there? Is kennel cough serious? should I take him to the vet?
    Thanks for all your concern for my manflu too! I'm recovering (manfully) thanks.:D

he may have caught something while at the groomers or kennels.... but if its kennel cough you'll know all about it.... he will cough really loudly, dry and kinda sounds like someone with whopping cough... really wraspy etc... and no amount of drinking water will help

my guy caught it while in kennels too ages ago.. even though he has been vaccinated, my vet told me there are loads of strains etc...

if he's not coughing like that... the try calpol... read the instructions and give him the amount recommended for infants etc...

if he is coughing (expecially at night) and its loud and wraspy then bring him to the vet... if its kennel cough he will need anti biotics :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭ISDW

If you think its kennel cough though, phone the vets, don't take him into the waiting room, as it is extremely contagious and neither vets nor other dog owners will thank you for spreading it around. Phone the vets, make the appointment, tell them what its for, and they may ask you to wait in your car until its your turn and the vet may come out to you, or you may be given the last appointment of the session.

ISDW wrote: »
    If you think its kennel cough though, phone the vets, don't take him into the waiting room, as it is extremely contagious and neither vets nor other dog owners will thank you for spreading it around. Phone the vets, make the appointment, tell them what its for, and they may ask you to wait in your car until its your turn and the vet may come out to you, or you may be given the last appointment of the session.

Thankfully he's not coughing at all, just a bit sneezy and sounds a bit hoarse when he barks. I tried Calpol, he's having none of it! I'll try the honey (I'll have to go get some).

• Registered Users Posts: 997 ✭✭✭MsFifers

I'm curious about the Calpol suggestions - is this really ok? I've always worked on the principle of never giving human medicine to animals as they often react differently in a different species.

• Advertisement

I went out and bought Manuka honey and he won't even lick it of my fingers so I dabbed some on his lips, he had to lick it off but he wasn't keen at all on it. I'll just keep an eye on him for the moment.

MsFifers wrote: »
    I'm curious about the Calpol suggestions - is this really ok? I've always worked on the principle of never giving human medicine to animals as they often react differently in a different species.

well ive tried it a few times on my vet instruction.... my cocker had running eyes and his nose was running... instead of giving him strong anti boitics my vet recommended calpol....

there are two types... the way one babies/infants and the one for children... he recommended a tea spoon of the baby calpol... it worked a treat the next evening he was right as rain :P

would never give him any other human medicine.. just calpol

I went out and bought Manuka honey and he won't even lick it of my fingers so I dabbed some on his lips, he had to lick it off but he wasn't keen at all on it. I'll just keep an eye on him for the moment.

trick is open his mouth... show him a treat... then spoon the calpol in (small amount) then give him his treat straight away :D

Advertisement