Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cube hardtail MTB.

• 27-04-2011 8:19pm
    Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 3,761 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hey guys, thinking about buy my first proper mountain bike.

A cube model has caught my eye, can't quite remember the exact model number, buy it's got all the fancy stuff.

Shimano gears, rock shox front fork, disc breaks....

Anyone got any horror stories?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,999 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

Yes!

They have been known to cause an amazing increase in Heart rate as you spin through the mountain trails, so be careful! Also likely to cause a lot of perspiration and smiling! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

I got a Cube ltd pro back in janurary , no real problems, it was skipping a gear after i first got it and the rear disc brake was rubbing slightly , but shop sorted it in no time .
    I have had a issue where the clip for the remote lockout for the shocks has snapped which isnt anyones fault as its a 3rd party product , but it will be covered on warranty .
    If i was buying another bike for price vs spec i would defo get a cube again .
    Iv had some great spins on it since i got it.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 3,761 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeloe

Nice one, a similar spec trek bike was over 120euro more!

I'm mainly going to be using it around town, to work and back, the shops and back!

I might take it up a trail sometime when I feel more comfortable on it, it'll be my first time cycling a bike on over 10 years!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,411 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

ah with a good mtb it would sacrilege not to take it on some trails, id also look at canyon's and lapierre's offerings as both are really good as well

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,604 ✭✭✭petethedrummer

eeloe wrote: »
    I'm mainly going to be using it around town, to work and back, the shops and back!
    Get a ridiculously expensive lock(s), we don't want any sob stories here in 2 months time.
    http://wiki.boards.ie/wiki/Locks_%26_Security

I have a cube, I like it. Except for the quick release seatclamp. It doesn't clamp.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 269 ✭✭Magilla Gorilla

I have a cube, I like it. Except for the quick release seatclamp. It doesn't clamp.

Funny you mention this- I just had the quick-release clamp on my new Focus MTB replaced; it didn't hold the seat up either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,013 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

I have the Cube Acid myself OP and absolutely love it. It's a fantastically smooth bike to cycle, it really soaks up the miles.

I'm gonna pop in tomorrow for another look at it, ill get the exact model then.

I can't pick it up till Tuesday due to the cycle to work scheme not starting down here till this Friday!

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭instinct

am waiting for my LTD Pro RACE to arrive. Fingers crossed for today so I can lash some dusty trails out of it this weekend :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,112 ✭✭✭Bambaata

Picking up a Cube Ltd Race this evening!

• Advertisement

doh - Im actually getting a Race also ;)

Where u getting yours ?

Cyclesuperstore

buildabike just called.

Bike is ready to collect. Excited excited :)

Okay I called in, but the man in charge isn't there, and the girl in the shop didnt know the exact model number.

It's a Cube Comp.

It's a hard tail, with a gunmetal grey and white frame.

I cant recommend the lads in buildabike enough. They have plenty of time for all their customers and have a great selection of bikes and you can take any bike for a road test. My Cube was ordered in and I had in within days compared to 14 days with the other Cube retailer.

Also, if you can, try get the free service with the bike. Im looking at 2 years (yes 2 years !!) free servicing !!!! That sealed the deal for me.

http://www.buildabike.ie/

One thing to note, the owner told me Cube is now running out of stock due to popularity and some models are not available !! Get in their quick.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,013 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

Free servicing? Feck, I wish I had of known that!

Mine is sitting pretty on display in the shop! ;)

Just can't get it till Tuesday!

Picked my LTD Race up last night from CSS. Happy out.

Hopefully picking this up in the morning, I can't sleep with excitement...hopefully the weather is better than today.

I actually got the model wrong all week!

Picked it up this morning, it's a Cube Attention Comp.

Love it!!! First time riding a bike in 12-14 years and i'm hooked!

• Advertisement

eeloe wrote: »
    I actually got the model wrong all week!

Picked it up this morning, it's a Cube Attention Comp.

Love it!!! First time riding a bike in 12-14 years and i'm hooked!
    best of luck , i brought my cube out to the forest at the weekend and theres nothing better on a nice sunny day than flying around some trails with a bike thats able for it.

I'm gonna stick to the roads for the time being, my fitness levels are at an all time low at the moment, so in a few weeks when i can cycle more than a few KMS without loosing my breath and nearly coughing my lungs up, then i might take her out in the forest! :)

225677_1993740326855_1343831582_32271284_2387068_n.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,604 ✭✭✭petethedrummer

Buy a bigger lock. I could talk that open.

Cubes are pretty.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 678 ✭✭✭briano

Buy a bigger lock. I could talk that open.

+1 on this, although maybe "better" is a more appropriate word than "bigger"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,281 ✭✭✭Ricky91t

I have a similar valued bike and both tyres are quick release. I use a lock like your for the front and then a D-Lock for the back, I put the lock through the wheel and the frame and then around a pole. I Think I saw how to do it like that on the internet and it seems to work well.

+1 on the better lock, thieves know their brands and yours will be targetted quicker than a cheaper bike, i only trust the krptonite new york u lock on mine with a kyrtopflex cable to loop through wheels and saddle.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,237 ✭✭✭mcmoustache

I know that you've already been told but this can't be overstated:

Buy a good lock!

It's really, really important - especially with such a nice bike.

It might sound like a lot to spend up to €100 on a bike lock but think of it as insurance. A Kryptonite mini can be bought for €50 and if you're the kind of person who likes to carry heavy stuff like a bag of spanners on his bike, you can buy a Kryptonite New York Fagheddaboutit (sp) for a little north of €100. See the wiki and learn to lock the bike well. ABUS make good locks too but Kryptonite is a very well known brand and casual thieves just won't bother trying to open it.

This is so important. Bikes get stolen all the time and I really hate to see the stolen bike posts here.

To be honest, the lock was thrown in for free...the bike is taken inside of a night, and only brought out to actually cycle somewhere and back! it'll rarely be left on it's own, so the lock probably won't be used.

Thanks for the tips tho! :)

Advertisement