Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Co-op options around U.L

Options
  • 27-04-2011 8:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭

The local school i applied to do co-op in has been inundated with many students looking to work there also. As it stands, I probably won't get it. Are there any places in or around U.L where they would welcome Co-op applicants. Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭Delta Kilo

Usually the co-op office looks after that for you. They send out your CV to companies and the company then interviews the people who's CVs they liked. You can look for your own co-op but usually people who are going abroad are the only ones to do that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭Jamie Starr

I set up my own Co-Op last year, after hearing some (justified or unjustified) bad things about the Co-Op program, especially in the current economy. Went to a number of different places, like local newspapers, even got a interview with a small internet business, but to no avail. Eventually I had to go to my old school for a job, and I've been happily placed there now since January. (They simply did me a favour really, as they are in no way related with the Co-Op system.)

Best advice I can give if you're organising it yourself is put yourself out there as much as possible, be prepared to work for little or nothing, and someone might take a punt on you. There might even be a few more things available to you depending on your degree, this is an New Media and English student talking here.

It also might be an idea to liase with the Co-Op office some small bit (even if you're going lone wolf on it) as they might get something good for you.

All the best anyhow!

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭Fraher91

Thanks to ye both for the advice. I am trying to look around for work but it has been frustrating. As well as my old secondary school, i tried my old primary school but there is a gardai vetting requirement which is another load of nonsense. I'm doing an arts degree alright, so i would be hoping to go to a school, library and i know times are tough and you'd be lucky to get paid, but it wouldn't deter me. (Only like to get piad to save up for erasmus the next semester) I asked my old principal last month about doing co-op in that school and he said i left it late because there were a good few others going for it, i'm not due on co-op till January.

I have e-mailed the co-op quite a bit, i would like to work in the U.L library and they said that they would take note of my interest, whether it will be any good or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭metamorphosis

UL library is a handy number. Good pay too.

Good luck with the co -op regardless of where you end up.

• Advertisement

UL library is a handy number. Good pay too.

Good luck with the co -op regardless of where you end up.

Thank you, you just made my day. Realistically, that's where I've wanted to go from the start. It would be nice to earn some money too, especially for erasmus later on. :D

Anybody here do work in the library? Was it difficult to get the job?

Advertisement