Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Scars

• 27-04-2011 9:02pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭

Had to get a few stitches there a while back just above my eyebrow. The "dressing doctor" or whatever her title was told me to use Bio Oil or Vitamin E cream about 10 days after the stitches come out. Is there any other creams, etc... that can be used to minimise the scar? Cheers in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,780 ✭✭✭alie

Cocoa butter cream or lavender oil are good

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,842 ✭✭✭shinikins

Lavander oil is great for scars, but i'm guessing that may smell a bit girly for you!

Try using neat vitamin E oil, The Body Shop sell little bottles of it for about €10. Its very easy to use, soaks in quite quickly and has no scent. Bio-Oil is fantastic though, I think Aldi have a cheaper version of it, although i'm open to correction on that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Chuchoter

You can get these skin capsules (they're in a little orange glass bottle in all the holland and barratt type shops). They're roughly six euro. Prick a hole in them and put the oil in the scar (once its more closed up like).:)

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 17,424 ✭✭✭✭Conor Bourke

Bio-oil is unreal! About 7 years ago my friends then (now ex) boyfriend fell face-first off a bridge onto something- I dunno what the damn thing was but it was like a really big metal platform with little loads of circular holes with raised edges (he was hella drunk, it was rag week and he'd have died if the metal yoke wasn't there as he couldn't swim, but I digress...)
    Anyway he ended up with all these little circular scars all over his face, but he applied bio-oil religiously and they faded after a few months.
    I also drunkenly injured myself a few years after that- boiling water dripped out of my kettle when I was making a post-pub cuppa, scalded my shin but was so shteamed I didn't feel it. Took ages to heal, got infected, the works. Eventually once it closed up I was able to use bio-oil and after about 12 months it was almost invisible

Hope it works for you!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

shinikins wrote: »
    Lavander oil is great for scars, but i'm guessing that may smell a bit girly for you!

Try using neat vitamin E oil, The Body Shop sell little bottles of it for about €10. Its very easy to use, soaks in quite quickly and has no scent. Bio-Oil is fantastic though, I think Aldi have a cheaper version of it, although i'm open to correction on that.

Ye it probably would be to "girly" tbh, I'll have a sniff though when I'm in Boots. Must pop into The Body Shop and Aldi so, cheers.
    You can get these skin capsules (they're in a little orange glass bottle in all the holland and barratt type shops). They're roughly six euro. Prick a hole in them and put the oil in the scar (once its more closed up like).:)

Good stuff, shall give this a try.

Seems to be healing nicely tbh, another 5 days anyway till I hit the 10 day mark of having the stitches out.

• Advertisement

I would recommend you apply it at night, always do a patch test with any oils you are using for the first time, best place is on the inside of your wrist, good luck

alie wrote: »
    I would recommend you apply it at night, always do a patch test with any oils you are using for the first time, best place is on the inside of your wrist, good luck

I'm well used to testing creams having mild eczema on parts and shockingly dry skin on my face, but cheers for the advice.;)

I too have ezema and i have found a great cream, you can only buy it in chemists, it called Avene Cicalfate- antibacterial repair cream , its 13euro for 40 mls

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

+1 on bio-oil. Also pricking open Vitamin E capsules.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,637 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

The nappy rash barrier cream 'Bepanthen' is the bees knees. A firm favourite of tattooists everywhere for reducing scaring.

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

• Advertisement

Or . .
    Vitamin D!

Cheers all for the suggestions.
    OldGoat wrote: »
    The nappy rash barrier cream 'Bepanthen' is the bees knees. A firm favourite of tattooists everywhere for reducing scaring.

Brilliant, my mam only got a tattoo on her foot there at the weekend (mid-life crisis :D) and that's the cream she got, only a small tattoo so can't see her using anywhere near the full tube of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,637 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

Remember, scars are 'handsome accessories', don't fret it. :)

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

Most expensive accessory I've ever bought so.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭degausserxo

I've used bio oil on some bad enough scars and it was useless! The only thing I've found to work so far is Palmer's cocoa butter, there's one with extra vitamin E added, has a yellow label as opposed to white.. it'll reduce the redness and pretty much turn it white, but if it's a raised scar it won't do much to flatten it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,719 ✭✭✭uli84

anybody knows if bio-oil or any of those oils/creams mentioned works on old scars? cheers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭Tayla

Very true!!

Got some Vitamin E cream today, the one in Boots said it would probably be better as putting Bio Oil on could be awkward as it would end up all over my face.:D

3 months of Vitamin E, see how it goes but will look out for Bio Oil on offer in Lidl/Aldi and pick it up to try (didn't have it today and Boots change some crazy money for Bio Oil).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 Danixxx

I found bio-oil great too and because its an oil it just seems to last for ages.. I'm not a regular shopper in Aldi so i'm going to check them the next time for their price, but I buy online from an irish store called www.smartchoice.ie they seem to be the cheapest around at the moment.

Also, has anyone ever used Pernaton gel, its suppose to be for muscles and joints, i've started to do some running and my knees are aching, got the good runners etc but still no joy! Don't want to stop the running am on a roll!!

Got some Vitamin E cream today, the one in Boots said it would probably be better as putting Bio Oil on could be awkward as it would end up all over my face.:D

3 months of Vitamin E, see how it goes but will look out for Bio Oil on offer in Lidl/Aldi and pick it up to try (didn't have it today and Boots change some crazy money for Bio Oil).

So 2 months and 2 weeks later of using Vitamin E and well there's not much change!:mad::mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,281 ✭✭✭Valentina

I also recommend bio oil. I had an operation a couple of years go and my scars were practically invisible after a few months.
    My dermatologist told me vitamin e is no good for scars, it's just a marketing thing!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,801 ✭✭✭✭Gary ITR

Bio Oil is the job, made a huge improvement to a facial scar I have

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 362 ✭✭SheFiend

Have to say Bio-oil is amazing. I lost a lot of skin off my forehead / eyebrow, and I'm sure that using Bio-oil healed it; you wouldn't notice any scarring now. And I tend to scar very easily, even little cuts have scarred.
    Totally recommend it - it's worth the expense!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 362 ✭✭SheFiend

So 2 months and 2 weeks later of using Vitamin E and well there's not much change!:mad::mad:
    Be patient ; after a few weeks you may see little white dots / raised bumps. Don't mistake this for spots; this is new skin growing. Dots will multiply and join untill scar is healed, but it won't happen overnight :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,372 ✭✭✭im invisible

dont worry man, chicks dig scars;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭jimbobaloobob

have to agree with shefiend, the bio oil does a great job, have a 8inche scar that i used the bio oil on and it worked really well.

you would still see the scar because of the break but other than that the skin looks good.

Onkle wrote: »
    Bio Oil is the job, made a huge improvement to a facial scar I have

Mine is a facial one too, is Bio Oil not a pain in the arse to put on your face without it going everywhere?

My scar is still very red even with using Vitamin E for 8 weeks.

Cheers all for the replys.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,281 ✭✭✭Valentina

Mine is a facial one too, is Bio Oil not a pain in the arse to put on your face without it going everywhere?

Cheers all for the replys.

Bio oil is a "dry" oil so it's not greasy or "oily" so it is quickly absorbed into the skin.

Grand job, now just to find some cheap Bio Oil.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭Pipsie Pie

Had a operation a while ago - the plastic surgeon recommended a silicone gel that the chemist had to order in for me... (They don't keep it in stock) It was almost €80 i think and I used it religiously twice a day for 6 weeks.... after 4 weeks the scar was completely flat and non red, and its now almost invisible.... I cannot remember the name, but I think it began with a 'E' and it came in 2 sizes and the tube was white with blue writing. The small one I had was about 20ml. You only need the tiniest amount and you'll get a good 6 weeks out of it. Expensive but worth every penny in my opinion.

Have also heard great reviews of silicone tape, similar price to the above, but not really practical on your face...

Used bio-oil after my first op, and didn't think it did anything to be honest....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,801 ✭✭✭✭Gary ITR

Grand job, now just to find some cheap Bio Oil.

A bottle will last ages and is around €12, mine was very red for near a year now it's settled down and is ok, still noticeable but not half as bad as it should be for 14 stitches :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29 ms. Liza

i had scars on my face & found bio oil made them worse & much redder! i used normal vitamin e capsules, just pierce them squeeze the oil out & rub into the scars, worked great for me! :)

Got some Bio Oil on Saturday and been using it every day so far, seems to be reducing the redness already.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,424 ✭✭✭Storminateacup

Swear by bio-oil.

Used it throughout pregnancy, not one stretch mark in sight.

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭Munstermad

I hope this is ok to ad to old thread, I have a 5 inch scar over my right eyebrow from an accident 3 weeks ago.. Stitches gone and has healed well but is very deep and the scar line is quite red. Have been using bio oil for past 2 weeks, and its has helped with the healing process I think... am mostly concerned about the depth of the scar and its texture (lumpy ish)... While I appreciate scars add character, I'm a girly and I have enough character already ;) So any tips on helping me tackle the texture as well as the redness...Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭degausserxo

Kelocote is an OTC silicone gel that's worked wonders for me. Bit expensive though, ranges from 40 - 55 euro.

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭Munstermad

Kelocote is an OTC silicone gel that's worked wonders for me. Bit expensive though, ranges from 40 - 55 euro.
    Thanks a million, I'll look into it tomorrow :)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

Munstermad, in future just start a new thread :)

Advertisement