Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pup in park

• 27-04-2011 9:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭

I was in Fitzgerald Park today and there was a group of men there with a jack russell puppy. I'm dog obsessed so I went over especially considering it was so unbelievably tiny, I couldn't believe one that was ready to be out and about would be that small. They let me pick her up and cuddle her, she was only 2/3rds of the size of my hand and shaking lots. I put this down to fear as well as cold as being picked up by a stranger can always be terrifying. They then told me she was just 5 weeks and that she is ready to be sold. I didn't know what to say, our pups are just over 5 weeks and they are in absolutely no way ready to be sold. They are nearly weaned but still like a comfort suck and are just being allowed to run around the living room (so long as there are plenty of eyes on them to make sure they aren't getting in trouble) Plus, there is no way she could have been vaccinated by now, as far as I know the first vaccine is at 8 or 9 weeks.

I was just in so much shock I had no idea how to react, he said that he had been breeding pups for 6 years (so obviously I can't question what he was saying as we have just had our first litter :rolleyes:) and that they were miniature jack russells, which I had always been told weren't actually a proper breed so much as badly bred jack russells. I should have shouted at him, but I'm too polite and non-confrontational but I'm still angry at him now. I was nearly in tears as well afterwards.

I was trying to find if he had a advert on done deal but I can't find it. I don't know what I can do but I feel like I should do something. Imagine saying that a pup can be let go at 4 or 5 weeks, its unbelievable!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,524 ✭✭✭Zapperzy

Makes you wanna smack 'em in the face doesn't it. :mad: Poor pup I wouldn't be surprised if he's picked up parvo if he's let run around a popular dog walking area at that age unnvaccinated. It could even be younger than 5 weeks, it's not unknown for them to lie about their age to get rid of them quicker and when their smaller and cuter (and can stick a teacup/miniature label on them). :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭Cows Go µ

I was thinking that myself but I have know idea how big a jack russell is meant to be at 5 weeks. She was much smaller than our 5 and a bit weeks old shelties and not half as plump. I wish I could find him again and hit him, it makes me so mad to see dogs treated the way he was treating her. I wish there was a way of reporting them but there isn't even any legislation her so there's no point.

Would love to volunteer in a rescue but I'll be in Bandon for the summer and I can't afford the petrol to drive to any of the ones I know of. I'd probably come home crying every night but at least I would know I was helping

• Closed Accounts Posts: 213 ✭✭pitbull_fanatic

i got my pup at 5 weeks. he was no way ready to go at all. but he was taken away from his mother and put in a shed on his own. his brothers and sisters were sent to norway and finland for serious money. at 5 weeks like?? so i decided he would be better with me and my bitch. to show how not ready he was he was trying to succle on her. twas so sad to see because she was actually letting him and he was tearing her. her teats even grew a bit but obv never filled. at 5 weeks their eyes are open 2 week. the mother needs to teach them a bit and they'd need the comfort of the litter i pressume. 12 weeks should be minimum in my eyes. as long as they werent down there to let him "swim"

Advertisement