Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best sun-cream for our one year old?

Options
  • 27-04-2011 9:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,557 ✭✭✭

We're off to Holland camping soon and it can be pretty hot over there around this time of year, never mind that, it's pretty hot here now.

Can anyone recommend an effective sun cream? Our one year old is quite fair (blonde/blue eyes) of skin.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭2SWEET

I find the nivea for kids excellent,it's factor 50+ has a green tint to it so you can see where you've applied it and it absorbs really well. Have tired some of the cheaper one didn't find any of them nearly as good.

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭iPearly

I've always used nivea for kids 50+. Never a problem. The key is to re-apply often enough. 50 factor around every 3 hours

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

Hat and clothes....not cream I know, but I'm extremely wary of putting any cream, despite claims to be safe, on my children. Also blonde blue eyed.

I do appreciate the difficulty of keep said hat and clothes on.

Oops... meant to say - it's only about 10 euro in penneys vs 18-20 anywhere else

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Lola92

We use this stuff.

P6418271.jpg

It's expensive but it really does last all day and is great for sensitive skin. It comes up to SPF50 as far as I know.

• Advertisement

If your child is anywhere near water - they most likely will get sunburn. I lived in florida for years and i've seen sunburn from water reflecting sun. Kids sun creams are perfectly fine - unless there are any skin conditions.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭cynder

We use Amber solaire and nivea 50 plus top it up every 2 hours , used in temps of 44 degrees and the kids never burn they look like Italians with their taned skin.

oh and dunnes have nivea and amber soliare at 1/2 price.

Dont put suncream hands on the paintwork of the car its hard to get it off.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

Ask your pharmacist. Sun cream is 2 for 1 in boots atm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

As long as it's a respectable brand it doesn't really matter. The important thing is to keep reapplying it regularly. Enjoy the holiday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Acoshla

Factor 50+, waterproof, don't worry about rubbing it all in totally, the white thickness of the suncream acts as a barrier from the sun too, whenever I'm lying by a pool and my feet inevitably get too hot (no idea why just my feet) I slather on factor 50 and leave it thick and not rubbed in, cools my feet immediately because the sun doesn't get at them.

Hat, tshirt, a good brand like Nivea, Ambre Solaire etc in Factor 50 reapplied regularly and you'll be grand.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭kelle

2SWEET wrote: »
    I find the nivea for kids excellent,it's factor 50+ has a green tint to it so you can see where you've applied it and it absorbs really well. Have tired some of the cheaper one didn't find any of them nearly as good.

I've been using Tesco Soleil Suncare (€4.10 for 200ml) and find it great so far.

I can't use Nivea or Ambre Solaire on my kids as it stings their eyes. No, I don't apply it anywhere near their eyes, but it seems to happen if the place their "suncreamed" arm on their face! Boots Soltan or Tesco's range don't sting.

When I go abroad, I can't bring suncream in my luggage as we only bring cabin luggage. The local suncream we bought in France and Italy was only Factor 30, but it's the best I ever used - even after swimming there was still a good film of it on the skin, though I still reapplied it. And my kids were completely burn-free!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭hoodwinked

Lola92 wrote: »
    We use this stuff.

P6418271.jpg

It's expensive but it really does last all day and is great for sensitive skin. It comes up to SPF50 as far as I know.

isn't that the one boots refused to sell due to the fact it (allegedly) only stops sun burn and not the cancerous rays?

Advertisement