Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

[BPB] Boards Photo Book 2011 - Marketing Plan & Volunteers

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭xia

Sorry for the delay in coming back! Was hardly online during my holidays...My friend came back and expects Dublin City FM to be very interested and had a couple of questions.

It might be a live or recorded interview. Who would do that and could you then PM me your mail so that I can forward his mail?

Hope it's not too late! D'oh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,182 ✭✭✭Tiriel

I nominate sNarah :):D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭AnCatDubh

Cork_girl wrote: »
    I nominate sNarah :):D

Seconded!

She's IT

:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,063 ✭✭✭GristlyEnd

Thirded (sounds kinda rude)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭xia

Ok, I'll PM her so that she knows too :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,570 ✭✭✭sNarah

Thanks for the - um - vote of confidence.

(wussies)

What do you think of a print swap on launch night, where each participant brings a 5x7 print in a white envelope. €5 donation goes to charity and you swap your envelope for another. Each person taking part gets another boardsie original - plus the additional feel good factor ;-)

Idea robbed from AnCatDubh.. so I can't take credit.

We don't have room or organising power to arrange any kind of print sale, but this might be a nice alternative?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭pixbyjohn

I think thats a great idea.

I don't think it was mentioned above but so as not to put anyone off, participation is optional. It all happens on the night, done and dusted.

It is probably a nice thing to be involved with and it would bump the coffers for the SSF but also, in fairness I think its understood that times are difficult for people so whether people participate or not in the trade isn't a deciding factor in terms of them attending the launch and taking home their book.

That said, the more the merrier. If people can muster a spare €5, it is a nice way of picking up a boardsie original (which made me damn gealous when I read the recent thread dedicated to it :)) and doing even more good through the efforts of SSF.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,725 ✭✭✭Adrian.Sadlier

propably a silly idea - but would it be possible to produce a "soft" version of the book - something like the "24" project.

With a nominal fee of say, 2 euro via paypal, you might get a lot of takers? Not sure how it would be implimented, copyright issues etc, but it could, maybe, raise a fair bit of money for the charity?

Who knows, you might even get Amazon (don't they have an Irish operation?) to back it!

Book printing almost complete - books will be winging their way to us shortly!

Our raffle is coming together slowly but surely, we'd love some more prizes - please help us if you can, it's for a good cause and all prizes will be going to people in the crowd on the night.. hint hint!

Again - if you have contacts in the media or have any way of advertising our venture.. get in touch please.

Cheers :)

Oh and before I forget - don't forget to get your 5x7 prints done if you're taking part in the print swap on the night! Donate €5 to the SSF Charity to take part and get a boardsie original.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

propably a silly idea - but would it be possible to produce a "soft" version of the book - something like the "24" project.

With a nominal fee of say, 2 euro via paypal, you might get a lot of takers? Not sure how it would be implimented, copyright issues etc, but it could, maybe, raise a fair bit of money for the charity?

Who knows, you might even get Amazon (don't they have an Irish operation?) to back it!

The first editions of the Yearbook did have the option of Soft and Hard Covers, as well as a few variation. That was through Blurb. From memory the Soft version wasn't that much cheaper and the Hardcover is the way most went with maybe a Soft version as a second copy.

I have a few thoughts evolving and might raise them for discussion on the night. Actually that will be novel .... discussing things without a keyboard.

CabanSail wrote: »
    The first editions of the Yearbook did have the option of Soft and Hard Covers, as well as a few variation. That was through Blurb. From memory the Soft version wasn't that much cheaper and the Hardcover is the way most went with maybe a Soft version as a second copy.

I have a few thoughts evolving and might raise them for discussion on the night. Actually that will be novel .... discussing things without a keyboard.

I was thinking more of "electronic" rather than "paper" when I said soft :-)

I was thinking more of "electronic" rather than "paper" when I said soft :-)

That's actually a great idea.

Any suggestions as how that could work,an Issuu sort of thing?

• Advertisement

sNarah wrote: »
    Any suggestions as how that could work,an Issuu sort of thing?

I have no idea :-(

But whatever is done has to be easy to administer and would probably operate mostly on trust - any electronic "publication" can be copied!

Perhaps the book could be "coverted" to an Adobe pdf and emailed upon receipt of a paypal payment?

This format could then be pushed to camera clubs around the country - there's about 50 of them. If we even got 5 buyers per club, at 2 euro per copy - that's 500 euro!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

This idea does have merit and I think should be explored. While you cannot control the copying after a purchase it could be made clear that it would effectively be stealing from a charity. This could also be stated in the electronic version and provide donation information to SSF for those with a conscience.

The other immediate concern I have is that the electronic version would directly compete with the printed edition. Maybe we could release one of the previous books in this format rather than the current copy and keep them a year or two out of phase. We currently have three copies in the back catalogue all with some great content. Maybe we could make it €5 per book or all three for €10. The current book being added at the launch of the subsequent edition.

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭nonsequitir

Electronic books have merit, and if the price is kept low, folks are inclined to purchase them. Usually they weigh in at $5-$10.

Why not look at an electronic release after the Christmas break when the buying season is done?

You could also look at delivering the book in eBook format through the AppStore and Android market for greater control.

Books are on their way!! Whooooop :D

OmEmGee
    We launch
    TOMORROW!

• Advertisement

ijustcantwait.jpg

I heard that Liveline are having a special on self published books. I can't see why our book would not qualify. Would anyone have, time to go on air and a spare copy to provide as a loan?

Advertisement