Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

dog won't jump and straightened tail

• 27-04-2011 9:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 49

Hi guys,

I have a young female pug who is almost a year old. I've noticed recently that her tail is straight and down a lot. Previously it would always be as is usual for the breed, in a tight curl and hardly ever straightened or down - only when she would going at full speed doing her crazy pug run around the house. I'm worried that this is an indication that she's sad or hurt.

Along with this she won't jump up onto the couch or the bed anymore. Which in a way perhaps I shouldn't complain about. Previously I'd put her in her crate and come out to find her on the couch etc, but now she is always in her crate and sees it as her home (she can go in and out as she pleases). Perhaps she's just maturing and has now learned that her crate is her place and a nice place to be. But I wonder why the sudden change and why suddenly she won't jump - even when we encourage her.

Other than this she seems healthy but I guess I'm concerned that she doesn't seem herself anymore and am worried that maybe she's hurt. I know one of the causes of not being willing to jump is hip dysplasia. She doesn't seem to be walking funny as such but she did have a touch of rickets in her left back leg when she was a puppy. Any suggestions or advice as to what could be wrong or if I'm overreacting would be appreciated!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,524 ✭✭✭Zapperzy

If your worried Id definitely bring her to a vet. What does she do if you encourage her to jump up on the couch? Does she wimper or seem like she wants to jump but can't? I would be worried about spinal problems (which I think pugs are prone to because of the screw tail), I'm not sure if hip dysplasia is common in the breed, definitely I think a trip to the vets is in order.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 tulipi

She doesn't whimper when she has to jump or anything. She just doesn't do it. She's stubborn like that. She's ok jumping down but not up. She was also very very slow going up the stairs this morning. Normally she'd fly up them.

I'm going to bring her to the vet this weekend. It might be nothing but I'd rather be sure

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭ISDW

Dogs, especially pups, really shouldn't go up and down stairs very much. Can you control her doing that, maybe put a baby gate up at the top and bottom of the stairs, and then carry her up and down?

Let us know what the vet says please, hope its nothing serious.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 tulipi

Well it's not like she's going up and down the stairs all day every day. but it is a duplex apartment and the kitchen/living room where she is most of the time is upstairs. Which means that if we go for a walk etc then she uses them.

We're moving soon so she won't be going up and down them anymore but in the meantime I'll lift her up and down them.

One thing that i was wondering - we've recently hired a dog walker and maybe the walking is affecting her? Although she's a year old almost and I thought at that stage she would be ok.

Advertisement