Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Crumlin Shopping Centre

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭tampopo

Was there today for the 1st time in years. Didn't realise tesco had gone and was popping in for a few things. Dunnes has a bit if a supermarket across 2 different units on either side which is odd. A few token clothes things in one if them too. Chemist and the dunnes offie still open. Very eerie feel to the place now. Huge amount of land and carparking around the centre.

And yet the Bus Lane/Cycle Track has illegal parking in it during its hours of operation. Including queuing taxis. (who should know better).

And the cycle track in front of the Moracrete Cottages too.

Oh, and a Garda Station right there doing feck all about it...yasus

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

Crumlin Shopping Centre has one of the best pages on Facebook

https://www.facebook.com/Crumlinshopingcentre/?fref=ts

One of the funniest on FB

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,568 ✭✭✭Chinasea

Time to bulldoze these vacant monstrosities that nobody seems to want anymore. Every town as a derelict shopping centre now it seems. There are tons of derelict shopping centres sitting empty and rotting all over the USA for the last 20 plus years. Stop pontificating. Just reclaim for green-space.

Return the land to nature and the community. Crumlin could CERTAINLY do with some tree planting.

What a treeless, gray part of Dublin it is. If said shopping centre were flattened and returned to the community (with proper supervision) it could breathe some badly needed fresh air into the place in a healthy and bright communal green space.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭HivemindXX

While it is a waste to have what may as well be a derelict shopping centre there you can hardly claim the area is treeless. There is a small green right opposite the shopping centre and two significant parks (Brickfields Park and Eamonn Ceannt Park) within a kilometre.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 710 ✭✭✭MrMorooka

Er no, if you are going to redvelop a site like that it should be by adding some high density quality apartments. There's enough bloody trees in the city, we have a critical shortage of housing though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

I was in the Dunnes a few times lately and it's actually handy because they have homewares and grocery mixed together, but I don't understand why the frozen ailes and meat are in a separate shop.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,568 ✭✭✭Chinasea

MrMorooka wrote: »
    Er no, if you are going to redvelop a site like that it should be by adding some high density quality apartments. There's enough bloody trees in the city, we have a critical shortage of housing though.

Agree re the high density apartments. Disagree totally that we have enough trees. Simply untrue. Our county councils and citizens have slacked way off on this front. Our city is rather baron.

I mainly refer in Crumlin to the hundreds and thousands of ex-social housing who have breeze-blocked and paved their front gardens. Not as much as a daffodil left. It's grim, gray and downright dismal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭SPDUB

Lux23 wrote: »
    I was in the Dunnes a few times lately and it's actually handy because they have homewares and grocery mixed together, but I don't understand why the frozen ailes and meat are in a separate shop.

Because apparently there was an agreement that Dunnes wasn't to operate out of a shop of more than a certain square footage but there was a loophole that said nothing about operating a number of shops .

The fruit and veg was in another unit until about 5 years ago and for a few years they opened another unit at Christmas to sell selection boxes and other Christmas items

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

Ah that is really sneaky of them.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,902 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

When it was built in 1974 the Crumlin shopping centre was a great asset to the area but in the last 20 years other, newer shopping centres such as Ashleaf have drained all the business away from Crumlin SC. The newer centres effectively cannibalise the older ones.

It would be preferable if the shopping centre was demolished and apartments built in its place.

JupiterKid wrote: »
    When it was built in 1974 the Crumlin shopping centre was a great asset to the area but in the last 20 years other, newer shopping centres such as Ashleaf have drained all the business away from Crumlin SC. The newer centres effectively cannibalise the older ones.

Given that Dunnes is continuing to trade there , and Tesco traded there until it's lease ran out , there is obviously a fair level of trade remaining .

What didn't help was Dunnes refusing to renew any lease that ran out ( and I know for a fact that a number of them did want to renew them ) so the centre over time became more empty
    It would be preferable if the shopping centre was demolished and apartments built in its place.

The only people that it would be preferable for would be builders .A large amount of apartments wouldn't help the traffic situation in the area for one thing .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,476 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

#threeofflicenses

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭Peig Sayers

#onlytwoofflincensesnow

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭Ben D Bus

SPDUB wrote: »
    .A large amount of apartments wouldn't help the traffic situation in the area for one thing .

Urban sprawl causes traffic, not apartments that close to town.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 701 ✭✭✭Sam the Sham

There seems to be some construction going on at ye olde Crumlin Shopping Centre. At present just some guys digging up the pavement. But they've built a little hut for the foreman that indicates they're in for the long haul.

I asked the woman on the till in Dunne's what was up. She said that the Dunne's is temporarily moving to the former Tesco premises in April while they "knock down" the part of the Centre where the Dunne's is now. She said they're building a giant Dunne's. I asked: "Like Cornelscourt?" and she affirmed.

I have no idea if any of this is accurate and can't seem to find anything in either planning permissions or online news. Also, no sign of Hickey's Pharmacy or Texas Fried Chicken going anywhere. Anyone have more?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,494 ✭✭✭francois

There seems to be some construction going on at ye olde Crumlin Shopping Centre. At present just some guys digging up the pavement. But they've built a little hut for the foreman that indicates they're in for the long haul.

I asked the woman on the till in Dunne's what was up. She said that the Dunne's is temporarily moving to the former Tesco premises in April while they "knock down" the part of the Centre where the Dunne's is now. She said they're building a giant Dunne's. I asked: "Like Cornelscourt?" and she affirmed.

I have no idea if any of this is accurate and can't seem to find anything in either planning permissions or online news. Also, no sign of Hickey's Pharmacy or Texas Fried Chicken going anywhere. Anyone have more?

There is this from 2015:

http://www.dublincity.ie/swiftlg/apas/run/wphappdetail.displayURL?theApnID=3078/09/x1&theTabNo=6

Application ID is 3078/09/x1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,492 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

I was there on the opening day in 1974, when Gay Byrne did the honours. I spent many hours being dragged around by the Mammy, or managing to escape to Hector Greys or Golden Discs.

I was there on the opening day in 1974, when Gay Byrne did the honours. I spent many hours being dragged around by the Mammy, or managing to escape to Hector Greys or Golden Discs.

I remember it being built. Didn't know it was that long go. Tks

RTE Television News reporter doing a vox pop there around noon today.

They have moved all the large refrigeration units to the former Tesco store (which has been remodeled itself)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

https://www.dublininquirer.com/2018/04/03/whats-going-on-in-crumlin-shopping-centre/
    Article has speculation rather than facts.

I recall Crazy Prices being there when I lived near there in the 90s.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Could not move in that Crazy Prices - remember going there in the 90s for the weekly shop as a nipper.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

I've just had a vague memory of doing some form of project on the centre when I was pack in "de Castle". We had floor plans of all the units and were wrecking shoppers heads with questionnaires. That would have been around '98-'99 iirc (fcuk I'm old). I can't remember how occupied it was at that stage.

The Dunnes supermarket has now moved to the old Tesco site. Significantly, it can't be accessed from within the centre itself, only from the car park. This suggests that they are going to be knocking some stuff down. On the other hand, Hickey's is still there…

Just an update has to what's happening

Since Tuesday they have blocked access to all the old shops at the front down as far as Texas Fried Chicken and to the entrance to the car park at the old swimming pool

The Dunnes supermarket has now moved to the old Tesco site. Significantly, it can't be accessed from within the centre itself, only from the car park. This suggests that they are going to be knocking some stuff down. On the other hand, Hickey's is still there…

The signs Dunnes have put up at the Crumlin Road entrance make certain not to mention the old Tesco premises saying Dunnes is now operating out of the unit beside the car park doors

theteal IIRC in 1999 it was still fairly well occupied .I think the big newsagent opposite Tesco might have been gone by then but I know Hector Greys was still open into the early 2000's

Sign outside Hickey's, which is now the only business within the shopping centre:

U5yzXNXl.jpg

Defiance worthy of the Official Crumlin Shopping Centre...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

Ah the 90s is stil holding out. They should make it in to a museum; preserve for posterity.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,592 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Hickeys held on to the end in the old Dundalk SC also and got a temporary unit during rebuild. Must have ironclad leases

• Registered Users Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭Rechuchote

Used to live near there and it was my shopping centre. It was thriving then - pre-1990s - but the two successive crashes where the boom got boomier and the bubble got bubblier and then BANG! killed it.

Went back years after I'd left and saw a man strutting along the walkway between the shop, followed by his dreaming 14-year-old daughter. He stopped and she ran into his heel, and he turned and punched her full in the face. It's a rough area.

L1011 wrote: »
    Hickeys held on to the end in the old Dundalk SC also and got a temporary unit during rebuild. Must have ironclad leases

I'd say it's more because they only moved to that unit in the late 90's/early 2000's since Dunnes wanted to expand into their former unit which was just about where you can see that line of trolleys

One thing else to add is that they cut down the line of trees at the front last friday so presumably work at the front is to start soon

SPDUB wrote: »
    One thing else to add is that they cut down the line of trees at the front last friday so presumably work at the front is to start soon

Noooo! really? That's a great pity:confused:

• Advertisement

The pub licence is now legally in Dunnes name (rather than Molloys). Probably just means they'll sell the licence for transfer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭Joekers

How they think it will look

Sign outside Hickey's, which is now the only business within the shopping centre:

U5yzXNXl.jpg

Defiance worthy of the Official Crumlin Shopping Centre...

Surely that would be the Continuity Crumlin Shopping Centre?

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭Ciaran_B

Joekers wrote: »

Is that new front going to go the full length of what's there now? From where the off-licence and fried chicken place is to the existing door.

Ciaran_B wrote: »
    Is that new front going to go the full length of what's there now? From where the off-licence and fried chicken place is to the existing door.

Looks that way. Wonder what is going behind that, they're hardly that big of a car park.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,920 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

The plans and drawings are here.

Lots of trees, lots of parking, can't see any bike parking? Odd to leave it out in such a bikey neighbourhood.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,902 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

It’s great to see firm plans to redevelop the decrepit 44 year old Crumlin SC, but until construction actually starts I will remain somewhat sceptical.

I really hope the plans come to fruition.

Joekers wrote: »

How recent is that document? What I really want to know is: is summer 2019 the current projected completion date?

• Advertisement

How recent is that document? What I really want to know is: is summer 2019 the current projected completion date?

From 2015 application I believe, I hope it is completed by next year, the place has been an eyesore for years now

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭Asdfghjkl987

Definitely a recent document as it has Dunnes’ new logo and branding on it. Hopefully it will be completed in 2019!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 553 ✭✭✭G-Man

Floor plans http://www.dublincity.ie/AnitePublicDocs/00270471.pdf

show 7000 m2 anchor tenant - that is massive . New tesco in Liffey valley is 5500.

2nd anchor tenant in the old tesco... or where the temp ds is now.

Then a few extra units for ancillary stuff.

The redev is welcome, but that is one huge store which could hoover up retail shopping and add car traffic in a big area.

According to Cllr Pat Dunne’s (no relation) flyer that landed in my postbox today: “I have just heard that the work may come to a halt as the last remaining shop, pharmacy [sic], has not yet reached agreement with Dunne’s Stores.”

One can imagine the standoff. Hickey’s is getting almost no foot traffic other than from their most dedicated customers. So they can’t continue doing business in that location. Yet the promise of a big payout must also be factored in.

No mention of Texas Fried Chicken, which is also still trading.

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭Asdfghjkl987

According to Cllr Pat Dunne’s (no relation) flyer that landed in my postbox today: “I have just heard that the work may come to a halt as the last remaining shop, pharmacy [sic], has not yet reached agreement with Dunne’s Stores.”

One can imagine the standoff. Hickey’s is getting almost no foot traffic other than from their most dedicated customers. So they can’t continue doing business in that location. Yet the promise of a big payout must also be factored in.

Jesus, what a joke! Hopefully something can be worked out soon:pac:

On a related note, I see the Bridge House bar is being demolished, any idea what is going on?

• Advertisement

francois wrote: »
    On a related note, I see the Bridge House bar is being demolished, any idea what is going on?

Maxol extension, licence will be used for an off-licence

L1011 wrote: »
    Maxol extension, licence will be used for an off-licence

Much needed extension, always rammed! They need to try doing something to stop it being used as a rat run through out onto Dolphin Rd!

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭Ciaran_B

Much needed extension, always rammed! They need to try doing something to stop it being used as a rat run through out onto Dolphin Rd!

I've seen the guards pulling people who use it to avoid the No Left Turn sign. Only a handful of times in over 10 years though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,512 ✭✭✭Wheety

Won't they have shops with road frontage? Hope they can do a deal with Hickeys to open up there when it's redeveloped.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,564 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Grew up in Crumlin, we used to go there every week. Used to draw in customers from all over, but as other areas got their own centres in the 80s/90s this would have dropped off (Dunnes opening in Ashleaf wouldn't have helped, either). Bizarre how Dunnes were happy to spend years running the centre into the ground, you'd think they'd prefer to let out units short term to attract custom to the centre, instead of leaving them empty. (The landlords of "pop up shops" don't seem to have any issues turfing these guys out when their time is up)

Surprised that they're keeping one corner of the existing building, it'll probably look out of place compared to the rest.

Hopefully something will be done with the former pool/gym too.

One year coming up to Christmas, someone had a stall selling helium filled balloons near the pyramid shaped structure, I'd never seen helium filled balloons before (early 80s). After a while it looked like half the fecking balloons were stuck onto the ceiling under the pyramid! Imagine the wailing kids and exasperated parents, "No yer not gettin' another feckin' balloon, now shurrup!" :p

Scrap the cap!

• Advertisement
Advertisement