Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Non grounded extension cable?

Options
  • 27-04-2011 10:49pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 273 ✭✭

Is it possible to create and use a extension cable with no ground wire?

When I use my laptop DJing over a large sound system there is an awful humming noise, Research has told me I need to get a ground loop isolator,

I have two ordered but they wont be here for the weekend, Would the extension cord do as a temporary fix?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

Is it possible to create and use a extension cable with no ground wire?

When I use my laptop DJing over a large sound system there is an awful humming noise, Research has told me I need to get a ground loop isolator,

I have two ordered but they wont be here for the weekend, Would the extension cord do as a temporary fix?

yes it is very easy to create such a lead, just disconnect the earth wire from the plug, but you should not do this, the lead would not pass any safety test and you are placing yourself and others in danger, regardless of how careful someone is with respect to what they power from this, there will always be the chance that someone will plug something in requiring an earth and faulty.

so yes it's possible, but no don't do it.
    :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 273 ✭✭Black_Ninja

How about an unearthed plug board?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

It's the same thing, same method, same reasons not to do it .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

That might not stop the hum anyway will it? Laptops are not actually connected to the mains earth anyway, the loop isolator is in the audio ground loop so it will probably be needed regardless.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,379 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

As Robbie has said it's unlikely the chassis of the laptop is connected to earth.

Maplin sell ground loop isolators for about a tenner if your in a hurry and need one...

• Advertisement
Advertisement