Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

hay research

• 27-04-2011 11:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

hi all,
    just wondering what my options are regarding purchasing hay in this country for rabbits
    can it be got, where can it be got, is it expensive, is the quality good, is it bougth on-line or from pet stores is there a difference in quality, price etc etc
    thanks in advance

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,221 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

I just buy it in the pet shop. Rabbits eat it so I assume all is good

• Site Banned Posts: 328 ✭✭michelledoh

I've seen bales of hay in pet shops. If you decieded to buy from a farmer the bales are huge and you may not have somewhere to store it especially as it is only for rabbits. Good quality hay is usually dry but not too dusty. Keep an eye out for black parts or damp in the bale! I'm pretty sure it is cheap as it is only just dried grass. Shop around is all i can say. Try the pet megastores!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

That meadow hay that's available in many shops is awful stuff too many times it's been musty and had to be chucked so I switched to Plospan hay and also another brand can't think of the name right now we've not had smallies here for a while.

But when I had a larger number of guineas and some rabbits it was costing a fortune so I got some bales from farmers, at the time we had a big open shed and put it on pallets and it saved a lot of money because we went through a lot.

What you do is seek out a few farmers or horsey people and find out where they get their hay from, then buy just one bale or just check out the hay first.
    Hay should be sweet smelling and not musty, nice and dry and all round clean and fresh looking. You'll know yourself but it will be fairly dusty some shop bought hay has dust extracted from it but you'll always get a good bit of dust.

What you could do is buy one bale, take it out into the garden (wear a dust mask) and take the bale apart and give it a good shake out then place the hay by the handful into an old duvet cover that way you can store the hay even in the house without too much dust getting around the place.

I used to pay between 4 and 5 euro a bale sometimes you can get it for 3 euro. When the shop bought stuff is as much as that for a small bag of it the bale does work out cheaper.

You'll see hay for sale advertised in some newspapers look for the square bales which obviously are easy to manage.

Advertisement