Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Please HELP!!! where should we move

Options
  • 27-04-2011 11:15pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20

My husband and I are looking to move to Ireland. We are both Americans but in all honestly we need to get away from everything and have a brand new start and I feel any place in the US won’t give that to use (just the way of life)frown.gif. I know it sounds like a move, running off to Ireland but Ireland is actually something we agree on… but we have NO IDEA where to ever starts looking…we both love the quiet and would love a small town. (Like I mean my perfect place would be a town that has 2 stop lights in it and the second one is brand new). However he is an accountant so we night need to be close to a bigger city so we can have money (let’s be honest everyone needs money) we want to have kids and raise a family so that is important as well…. smile.gif
    I
    Please help!!!!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭HellFireClub

My husband and I are looking to move to Ireland. We are both Americans but in all honestly we need to get away from everything and have a brand new start and I feel any place in the US won’t give that to use (just the way of life)frown.gif. I know it sounds like a move, running off to Ireland but Ireland is actually something we agree on… but we have NO IDEA where to ever starts looking…we both love the quiet and would love a small town. (Like I mean my perfect place would be a town that has 2 stop lights in it and the second one is brand new). However he is an accountant so we night need to be close to a bigger city so we can have money (let’s be honest everyone needs money) we want to have kids and raise a family so that is important as well…. smile.gif
    I
    Please help!!!!

Just a kind word of advice. You'd want to be out of your f*cking mind to come to this country at the moment. There are no jobs, there is a horrible negative atmosphere hanging out of everyone and everything, avoid avoid avoid is my best advice...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

if you are thinking about moving to dublin look at the city council website for some info

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,296 ✭✭✭RandolphEsq

Keep It SouthSide O.P. The northside of Dublin not only has no employment but has high crime and poverty. The people look like inbred fcuks, the food is poisoned, the cars run diesel, girls do not trim their bush; it is fcuking disgusting. Stay east of UCD, south of Blackrock, west of the DART track and north of the canal and you will be safe

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Keep It SouthSide O.P. The northside of Dublin not only has no employment but has high crime and poverty. The people look like inbred fcuks, the food is poisoned, the cars run diesel, girls do not trim their bush; it is fcuking disgusting. Stay east of UCD, south of Blackrock, west of the DART track and north of the canal and you will be safe

One month ban.

Probably should be perma.

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭Muas Tenek

I was going to suggest Carrigaline in Cork but noticed that you had posted in the Dublin forum.
    My suggestion would be Greystones in Co. Wicklow.
    It has train and bus connections to Dublin and is well within commuting distances.
    This forum has a lot of information about the area from people living in the area.
    If you do decide to move to Ireland I wish you every success and hope all is well for you.

Muas

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭cosmic

It's not Dublin (it is popular for commuters though) but I would recommend Gorey in Co Wexford. It is actually my home away from home. It has such a lovely little community and access to some incredibly beautiful beaches.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 reddivil

cosmic wrote: »
    . It has such a lovely little community and access to some incredibly beautiful beaches.

i would agree, wexford has a lot of beautiful beaches and towns.

Wicklow would not be a bad choice either, beautiful scenery, in parts. Short drive from dublin is a benefit..

I would not avoid Ireland as was suggested,
    The place is as miserable as people allow it to be...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭diddlybit

Maybe start with a temporary job first, settle down for a couple of months then use your free time to travel around and see where suits you. In my own personal experience it's a gut feeling on where suits you to live, rather than what it looks like on paper. Once you find somewhere that you both feel really comfortable in, re-locate.

Don't forget that you can always live in a small town, once it's within commuting distance of a larger one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

if you are looking at dublin somewhere along the commuter belt would be ideal. as mentioned Greystones is close. as is drogheda, kildare, navan, arklow and naas (thats only a few, there are loads of towns close by)
    commuting times from the areas i mentioned is roughly one hour

*some more info from the op would be a positive

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

Have a look at this thread:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=71148926

However, if it's 2 traffic light territory you want, you'll be looking at areas outside of Dublin so have a look at the Dublin County North, Dublin County South, Wicklow, Meath and Kildare forums.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,383 ✭✭✭RebelButtMunch

Your looking for advice life changing on a life-time event in the wrong place. Come over for a few months and see what you think. Read the newspapers, check the job scene. Read up on the irish economy. Investigate schools. Rent for a while.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 179 ✭✭sagat2

Add a little more info:

What are you trying to get away from in America?

Where do you currently live?

What are you expecting to get out of a move to Ireland?

How do you plan to procure a work visa?

There's a lot or romance to the idea of packing up and moving to Europe rarely does it match your expectations. you might find you are better off moving to a different part of the US with a different pace of life than you might be currently accustomed like Vermont or Hawaii.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,871 ✭✭✭Karen23

Look into Ashbourne Co. Meath , lovely town and the new road means you can get to Dublin and the Airport in 10 , 15 mins.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 ihopeyoudance

I want to thank everyone for their input.:) I totally understand about the economy and jumping head first into a new country, and i promise the is not what we are doing... we would never move until at least he had a job lined up. ( he company that he works for now has an office in Dublin so that might be a possibility as well. I just wanted to if this does come to pass and we do move ( once everything is in place) where the best place to live would be. Like I said we are in the beginng stages of this moving thing and I thank you all for your Input :D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

were your going to end up livingg depends largely on your budget aswell, some of the areas mentioned are nice but not always affordable.

Like a few have already said come over rent for a few months get a feel for the place see were you like and were you can afford to live.

Feel free to ask any other questions im sure people would gladly help on here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,939 ✭✭✭mikedragon32

+1 on Greystones. I've lived there for 9 years now and love it. It has a nice village feel to it, great restaurants and coffee shops, not so good for bars, but there are decent ones in Delgany and Kilpeddar so no worries there either.

It has only one set of traffic lights on a junction (Blacklion) and a few pedestrian crossings with lights (Church road is one, Charlesland has two - one not working and between Tesco and Donnybrook Fair)

Super spot on the beach with a harbour under "development". 50 mins by train or an hour by bus to Dublin City center.

• Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭Spiritofthekop

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sb9OvofxTzM

Its only 30mins by Dart (tram) commute to Dublin City i think

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Karen23 wrote: »
    Look into Ashbourne Co. Meath , lovely town and the new road means you can get to Dublin and the Airport in 10 , 15 mins.

Be aware that public transport is relatively poor in Ireland. Driving from Ashbourne to the city in rush hour would be frustrating and it would be a long bus journey. Get the job location first and then you can figure out the best area to live as there is no quality of life in long commutes.

Also consider if the job will allow some level of teleworking.

• Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭Spiritofthekop

Wow we really are NOT selling Ireland (Dublin) in this thread!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,449 ✭✭✭artful_codger

OP, if you're looking to live in a quiet town in the countryside but still have the option of commuting to work in Dublin (where most of the finance/accounting jobs are) then you'd be looking to live in Kildare County or Wicklow County. A good place to start is looking at towns along the major roads/motorways through Kildare and Wicklow.. so you'd be talking about the N11 (Wicklow) and the M4 and M7 (Kildare). Tie that in with public transport available in those towns (both during the day and Saturday night from the city) to whittle the list down further...and perhaps then think about access to Colleges, Shopping Centres, the Airport, public amenities (would you prefer to be near beaches or mountains).

Google Street View can be handy for seeing a town too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

+1 on Greystones. I've lived there for 9 years now and love it. It has a nice village feel to it, great restaurants and coffee shops, not so good for bars, but there are decent ones in Delgany and Kilpeddar so no worries there either.

It has only one set of traffic lights on a junction (Blacklion) and a few pedestrian crossings with lights (Church road is one, Charlesland has two - one not working and between Tesco and Donnybrook Fair)

Super spot on the beach with a harbour under "development". 50 mins by train or an hour by bus to Dublin City center.

I thought development has stopped, or is that the apartments?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

As the spouse of an American who has now been looking for work for the past 14 months and applied for over 500 jobs at a senior level all of which she is very well qualified for. Do NOT move to Ireland unless you are very clear that if you lose the job you are prepared to return to the US.

I say that because it is now very very hard to get work and you will NOT get a work permit to stay. My wife - now an Irish citizen for 18 months was almost deported even though she was married to an EU national. It took 7 years for her to get her Irish citizenship.

It really is not a good time to move here. It will be next to impossible to get a work permit unless you can claim Irish citizenship, even then you may not be allowed to stay in Ireland whilst that is in process as you need to show means to support yourself without being a burdern on the State. Also be aware that it can cost €500- €1500 for a work permit and if only one of you has citizenship there is no guarantee that the other will be allowed to work or even stay in Ireland (all at the grace of the Minister)

There is generally a good attitude towards Americans except when it comes to a. employing them and b. allowing them basic rights under EU law (family unification). The Irish authorities would prefer that;
    1. You are a major multinational bringing jobs
    2. You are a tourist spending money
    If none of the above be prepared for bureaucracy, red tape, frustration and exasperation.

YMMV

Good luck

(Have you considered Sweden?)

Advertisement