Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Block shed advice needed

• 27-04-2011 11:34pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭

Few queries about a block shed I'm planning on doing.

I'm going to build it using cavities, I'm putting a damp course membrane in. Just wanted to know. I am going to lay a few courses of solid blocks on their sides on top of the foundation
    1. The solid blocks above the foundation but below the damp course, are they a different type to standard solid blocks? if so what are they called?

2. Where would you get rebar, and assuming I put some in the foundation, can you get shorter lengths to make the longer lengths of rebar into a box sectioned shape along the length of the foundation?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,389 ✭✭✭Carlow52

blocks are the same for a shed

rebar can be got where u buy the blocks, u dont need a fancy cage of rebar unless its more than a normal single storey shed: how big/high is it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭Merch

I plan to do up a drawing by hand so I can see what it looks like, and ensure I have enough area left over.
    The max overall height would be under 4 metres (although it may only go to 3 metres depending on the roof material, which depends on the cost of what I decide to put up there.
    I'm not sure if I get sheets of tile shaped and coloured plastic if 4 metres will apply though, I dont think so but it might be cheaper. I have to see how much tiles and sheets of plastic formed to tile look/shape will cost.

I need to confrim if there are any requirements on the pitch angle, initially I planned on giving myself room to store some things in the pitched space. I was going to consider having a non symmetrical apex so the neighbours behind me dont have to look at a big flat wall.

The overall area will be about 3 x 4 or 5 metres but this may change if narrower suits my needs for work space inside/if it takes up too much of my small garden, I dont want to make it look too big to the remaining garden/want to meet the regulation requirements.

I read some other posts and people are saying put in rebar (initially I didnt think this would be necessary) I didnt know If Id have to make a box section out of it or just lay 2 or 3 lengths of rebar parallel to each other, slightly raised in each trench.

Advertisement