Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mortgages in Ireland

Options
  • 27-04-2011 11:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7

I was wondering if anyone can help me. I am originally from Dublin, but moved to London 11 years ago. I have decided it's time to move back to Dublin..... I think I'm the only person moving INTO Ireland!!

So my question...... I already own a property in London, but if I buy when I move home, am I classed as a First Time Buyer in Ireland?!

Thanks,
    Sandra

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,636 ✭✭✭dotsman

Afraid not...
    A First Time Buyer as defined by Section 92B, Stamp Duties Consolidation Act, 1999, is a person, (or, where there is more than one buyer, each of such persons):
    • who has not on any previous occasion, either individually or jointly, purchased or built on his/her own behalf a house (in Ireland or abroad) and
    • where the property purchased is occupied by the purchaser, or a person on his behalf, as his/her only or principal place of residence and
    • where no rent, other than rent under the rent-a-room-scheme, is derived from the property for five years after the date of the current purchase.

...unless you qualify for an exemption (rare). More here

P.S. Welcome back:)

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭bailes

On the first time buyer issue there is little or no benefit now in being classed as a first time buyer.

In fact the plan was to scrap the Mortgage Interest relief for anyone buying a family home, however this is now under review awaiting an announcement.

I am a Mortgage Broker and may be able to help with approval. P.M. me

regards,

Advertisement