Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Geography and Business teaching

• 28-04-2011 12:42am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭

Hi, I know I want to become a geography teacher and business would be a possible subject I'd like to teach with it. Does anybody know where you can get a degree in both these subjects (if it is possible at all). I know there's a teacher in my school who does these as her 2 subjects but she's old so maybe that option isn't around anymore. I saw you can do them both as a joint arts in NUIM but someone told me that that business isn't accepted by the teaching council as a necessary qualification to teach it.
    If anybody has any information on this matter I'd greatly appreciate it :):):):)
    Thanks!

(P.S another option for me is geography and science teaching, if anyone has any info on that either :D)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,989 ✭✭✭PictureFrame

Geo10 wrote: »
    Hi, I know I want to become a geography teacher and business would be a possible subject I'd like to teach with it. Does anybody know where you can get a degree in both these subjects (if it is possible at all). I know there's a teacher in my school who does these as her 2 subjects but she's old so maybe that option isn't around anymore. I saw you can do them both as a joint arts in NUIM but someone told me that that business isn't accepted by the teaching council as a necessary qualification to teach it.
    If anybody has any information on this matter I'd greatly appreciate it :):):):)
    Thanks!

(P.S another option for me is geography and science teaching, if anyone has any info on that either :D)
    I was looking into this career also, but I found that there is no degree that you can do Geography & Business teaching from. A way around this is do Geography & Economics through Arts, then when you get your PGDE (Post Graduate Diploma in Education) you will be eligible to teach Business from your Economics degree (Up to JC Standard anyway, but probably LC too as there's not a lot of differenc between the 2 courses)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 566 ✭✭✭seriouslysweet

Maybe the option was never around, loads of teachers in our school teach subjects combos that have never existed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 norbert1

As Business is a new subject the Teaching Council are not in a position to recognise it until the first batch of students are about to graduate. The college would have to keep the Teaching Council up to date about the modules they are covering before they can attain recognition. Would be no harm to ring the Business Dept in Maynooth to verify this and check on progress.

Advertisement