Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Transfer Internally but missing one requirement

Options
  • 28-04-2011 12:48am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

Hi forum,

I'm in 1st year Arts in UCD and I wish to transfer to Computer Science next year. The points requirements were 375 last year (I got 395) but only got a C1 in Maths (minimum requirement B3). Is there anyway of getting past this and being able to transfer internally?

Any help is appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,129 ✭✭✭pljudge321

Best advice would be to go talk to your programme office.

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭corkman123

i never realised you can transfer from arts in year one to a totally different course? do you have to pay?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Killer Pigeon

Afraid not - you need to meet ALL matriculation requirements for the first year of the first year of any degree programme. There's really no way around this other than to repeat LC OL maths and try to get over a B3. However, if you're doing a Joint BA you can take computer science along with another subject but it wouldn't be to the same standard as the BSc (BA is 3 year, BSc is 4 years). In order to be up to the same level as the BSc in Computer Science you need to take the MSc in Computer Science (formerly the H.Dip. in Computer Science) as a type of conversion course.

Remember that there's more than one way to skin a cat :)

• Registered Users Posts: 496 ✭✭bigred100

Afraid not - you need to meet ALL matriculation requirements for the first year of the first year of any degree programme. There's really no way around this other than to repeat LC OL maths and try to get over a B3. However, if you're doing a Joint BA you can take computer science along with another subject but it wouldn't be to the same standard as the BSc (BA is 3 year, BSc is 4 years). In order to be up to the same level as the BSc in Computer Science you need to take the MSc in Computer Science (formerly the H.Dip. in Computer Science) as a type of conversion course.

Remember that there's more than one way to skin a cat :)

There's no more BA for computer science anymore, current 2nd years where the last ones I think. Only one way in now.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

Is it too late to try resit your LC maths exam and get the requirements this year?

• Advertisement
Advertisement