Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterfords New Senators

• 28-04-2011 12:55am
    Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Just for those who are interested.. Waterford has two elected Senators.

Maurice Cummins Fine Gael (First Count, Highest amount of votes at 100,000
    first preference) who was re-elected. Maurice was appointed leader of the Seanad last month by Enda Kenny and this is his third term as Senator.

David Cullinane Sinn Fein (Ninth Count, just over the quota - 90,581
    votes. Quota was 88,834). This, was Davids first time running for the Senate after failing to get a seat in the 2011 General Election.

Congrats to both. The other candidates who ran were Cllr Hilary Quinlan, Cllr Dec Doocey and former INTO President for Waterford, Declan Kelleher.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭Marchandire

The question remains: when are the coalition parties going to honour their pledges and abolish this travesty of an assembly? I for one won't be voting Labour again if they stiff us on this particular issue.

I suspect that this is really the last throw of the dice for Cullinane. If he couldn't get elected on a Sinn Fein ticket after the FF meltdown and the recession, I'd imagine the Seanad is his last hope. He polled well and SF probably think that a bit of national exposure as a senator might push him over the line next time.

This kind of thing is why I hate the feckin Seanad tbh. SF peeps are ofc welcome to object! :p

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Cant abolish the senate until next election and a referendum has to be held before it can be touched. When, well no rush seeing as they are there for four years and plan on holding a few referendums!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭dayshah

What panels are they elected on sully?

Personally I'd prefer the seanad was reformed rather than abolished.

For the university panels they should be merged and only those with a Masters from and 3rd level institution could vote.

For the labour panel I think the senators should be directly elected by trade union members. Similarly, for agricultural panel they should be directly elected by IFA, Macra na Feirme members.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Labour Panel IIRC, for both.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 424 ✭✭Yes Boss

I am lost for words as to why someone who is not capable of being democratically elected by the people on a number of occasions should continue to chase a career as a Politician - And we pay for it!

• Advertisement

Yes Boss wrote: »
    I am lost for words as to why someone who is not capable of being democratically elected by the people on a number of occasions should continue to chase a career as a Politician - And we pay for it!

Both Cummins and Cullinane have been elected representatives.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 424 ✭✭Yes Boss

dayshah wrote: »
    Both Cummins and Cullinane have been elected representatives.

Cullinane was never elected to the Dail. He was only elected as a Councilor. It is obvious the electorate in Waterford did not want him to represent us on a National stage.

Also, what had Cummins done during his tenure in the Seanad?

It is just a holding pen for wannabe Politician's.....Paid for by US!

Yes Boss wrote: »
    Cullinane was never elected to the Dail. He was only elected as a Councilor. It is obvious the electorate in Waterford did not want him to represent us on a National stage.

Seanad members are not there to represent the local constituency. They are their to represent a vocational panel.

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭jayboi

I am thoroughly delighted by this news , no doubt it will make a turning point for the seanad i am sitting anxiously on the edge of my chair to see what these champions of the people will achieve, great change and a fairer society are a certainty. I've goosebumps just thinking of what these selfless workers will do for the people of Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Satires not dead.

• Advertisement
Advertisement