Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

which scope?which rifle? help!!!

Options
  • 28-04-2011 1:04am
    Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭

Hi im thinking about getting a .17hmr shortly and wanted to get some scope recommendations from ye, ill be using it for rabbits and the odd targets, any and all scope suggestions will help me choose it can be either 1inch or 30mm tube as i have the masterlite supreme so its mount will fit either size also not made a decision on what make .17hmr rifle to get either so please feel free to recommend any makes but id prefer synethic stock rather than wood but dont mind either way. All suggestions and recommendations will be much appreciated.

Thanks to everyone in advance!!!!
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭FISMA

niteowl84,
    Just search on scope and you'll get more hits on the boards than you can ever possibly imagine.

One question: how much will you spend?

Your little targets will require big magnification. I would go no smaller than a 4-12 x 42mm. I would suggest a 6.5-20 x 50mm.

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭Xplor.er

get a browning t-bolt, lovely gun, shoots great groups, you can have your pick of wood or synthetic stock. the synthetic comes with a second mag in the butt.
    im not great when it comes to scopes so il leave it to the other lads;)

p.s if your budget doesnt stretch to a t-bolt, id go for a cz/brno, brilliant guns for the price

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭landkeeper

spend a bit of time on the internet looking at 17hmr reviews that's what i did and i chose a savage as it came out tops with lots of reviewers but that is personal choice
    it's a fun calibre to shoot so buy the best and biggest scope you can afford it's a calibre capable of outstanding accuracy sub 1/2 inch at 100yrds so a scope that you can see what you are doing at that distance is a worthwhile purchase in my book

• Registered Users Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭tommyboy26

i have a marlin 917vs with a swift 8-24x50 very accurate great out to a hundred yards (haven't tried further yet). Wasn't too expensive to purchase. If you look at the hardware photos thread you can see pic's of it.

Tommy

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭niteowl84

Xplor.er wrote: »
    get a browning t-bolt, lovely gun, shoots great groups, you can have your pick of wood or synthetic stock. the synthetic comes with a second mag in the butt.
    im not great when it comes to scopes so il leave it to the other lads;)

p.s if your budget doesnt stretch to a t-bolt, id go for a cz/brno, brilliant guns for the price

Will the hole in the buttstock for the second mag not fill with dirt and stuff? is it kept in securely or can it fall out because I was looking at the browning T bolt and I liked it 2, can you tell me how much it cost? and does the second mag come with it and is it a 10 shot mag?

• Advertisement

landkeeper wrote: »
    spend a bit of time on the internet looking at 17hmr reviews that's what i did and i chose a savage as it came out tops with lots of reviewers but that is personal choice
    it's a fun calibre to shoot so buy the best and biggest scope you can afford it's a calibre capable of outstanding accuracy sub 1/2 inch at 100yrds so a scope that you can see what you are doing at that distance is a worthwhile purchase in my book

hi i have spent a lot of time looking and reading reviews about different makes and I still cant make my mind up. I narrowed it down between a T-Bolt,CZ,Anschutz or a savage?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,696 ✭✭✭lefthooker

Hi buddy,
    Can I recommend adding Sako to your shortlist. Have mine a few weeks now and can definitively say that i am in love with an inanimate object:D Its true.
    Went thru the same torture of looking at various brands and after discounting each for one reason or another i went with the Sako. Very happy so far.
    Regards scopes i like Bushnell , have one on a .22lr and the HMR. Great scope for the money.

lefthooker wrote: »
    Hi buddy,
    Can I recommend adding Sako to your shortlist. Have mine a few weeks now and can definitively say that i am in love with an inanimate object:D Its true.
    Went thru the same torture of looking at various brands and after discounting each for one reason or another i went with the Sako. Very happy so far.
    Regards scopes i like Bushnell , have one on a .22lr and the HMR. Great scope for the money.

Hi are you on about the Sako Quad? Which Bushnell scope?

niteowl84 wrote: »
    Will the hole in the buttstock for the second mag not fill with dirt and stuff? is it kept in securely or can it fall out because I was looking at the browning T bolt and I liked it 2, can you tell me how much it cost? and does the second mag come with it and is it a 10 shot mag?

the synthetic t-bolt comes with two 10shot mags. The wooden stock comes with one. The second mag is held in by friction and is fairly secure, cant see dirt being much of a problem, the mag fits nicely into the slot in the butt.
    price wise i think there around the €600-650 mark, but then you are paying for the browning name

the synthetic t-bolt comes with two 10shot mags. The wooden stock comes with one. The second mag is held in by friction and is fairly secure, cant see dirt being much of a problem, the mag fits nicely into the slot in the butt.
    price wise i think there around the €600-650 mark, but then you are paying for the browning name

well thats not bad of a price especially since it comes with 2 mags and it is handy that the second is stored in the buttstock. do u have a T-Bolt?

• Advertisement

Hi are you on about the Sako Quad? Which Bushnell scope?

Should have mentioned that. Quad synthetic varmint.
    I've had a few Bushnell scopes; started with a Banner 6-24x40 on a .22lr, then a Legend 5-15x40. Now have an Elite 3200 Tactical 5-15x40 on the Sako. The Legend is for sale at the moment, great scope and can't fault it.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056242347

well thats not bad of a price especially since it comes with 2 mags and it is handy that the second is stored in the buttstock. do u have a T-Bolt?

no but i have used one numerous times. if i was in the market for a 17hmr i would get one of them in a heartbeat! lovely,lovely gun.

F**k just thinkin i might just put myself in the market for one of them:D

Should have mentioned that. Quad synthetic varmint.
    I've had a few Bushnell scopes; started with a Banner 6-24x40 on a .22lr, then a Legend 5-15x40. Now have an Elite 3200 Tactical 5-15x40 on the Sako. The Legend is for sale at the moment, great scope and can't fault it.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056242347

Ya i wanted the Quad but its not available to order till september was already on to the dealer about it

no but i have used one numerous times. if i was in the market for a 17hmr i would get one of them in a heartbeat! lovely,lovely gun.

F**k just thinkin i might just put myself in the market for one of them:D

lol sure why not then u only live once!! Do they come threaded for a mod?

Ya i wanted the Quad but its not available to order till september was already on to the dealer about it

Who told you that??? I was told the same when i started inquiring. Talked to my local dealer, he made a call and I HAD MY QUAD IN 4 WEEKS
    Whoever told ya that just wasn't interested in doing business.

Who told you that??? I was told the same when i started inquiring. Talked to my local dealer, he made a call and I HAD MY QUAD IN 4 WEEKS
    Whoever told ya that just wasn't interested in doing business.

A shop told me and I was there when he rang the wholesaler and I had money on me to put a deposit on it and I also emailed the wholesaler myself and they confirmed it!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭kenneths

i bought the CZ synthetic and it's a cracker!!!

i have a swift premier 8-32x50 on it at the minute but i want some new like the burris fullfield E1 4.5-14x42 but the prices i get here are lunatic.

kenneths wrote: »
    i bought the CZ synthetic and it's a cracker!!!

i have a swift premier 8-32x50 on it at the minute but i want some new like the burris fullfield E1 4.5-14x42 but the prices i get here are lunatic.

how much did u pay for it as im ringing the shop back on tuesday to get the price so just wondering how much u payed for it so i can get an idea?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 793 ✭✭✭declan1980

i was looking at one of the new cz 455 thumbhole models a few months ago and all i can say about it is SWEET from the minute i picked it up it just felt like it was made for me. you should have a look at one of those

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭kenneths

i payed €500 for the rifle i had the scope already

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭time lord

I use a BSA SWEET 17 scope on a Anschutz 1517. I find I dont miss too often:D unlike my .22 set up so maybe its a good scope. Its not to good if your heading into dusk/ sun going down conditions but sure for the price I cant complain too much. Have it a few years at this stage.

Advertisement