Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Really annoying EMI!

Options
  • 28-04-2011 1:11am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭

I seem to be getting some really bad EMI issues from my motherboards onboard audio. I think this problem might have something to with my graphics card since when I am on the title screen of minecraft the noise changes/ gets worse.

I unplugged the audio cable from my computer and put it against the side of the IO sheild and I could hear the same sound. I also put it against the metal top of my case fan and I could hear the same noise.

Motherboard is a Gigabyte GA-870A-UD3
    GFX: Club 3D 6850
    case is NZXT hades

Any advice would be helpful :)

Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

Faulty mobo? That kind of BS happens all the time with VIA audio, but rare as hell with Realtek-based systems... :confused:

Check to make sure the mobo standoffs are all in correct and the graphics card is inserted correctly, could be a grounding issue as it sounds like some contacts are touching that shouldn't be touching...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭Trevor451

Sounds to me like a grounding issue as well :p

I had to remount the motherboard about a week ago because the case instructions were wrong and it seems that they missed out on a hole. The problem was occurring before this though. (see this pic. I have cleared up the cables a bit btw so it does not look that bad)

I have no idea how the motherboard could be in contact with the rest of the case. There are washers between the screws and the motherboard :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

157085.png

Is the circled hole the one that you added a screw to? What about the other brass standoff? Make sure that you do not have any more than you need (especially not under the board). Use a screw for every hole with a metal-dotted rim so long as there's a corresponding hole in the case.

Take out the washers. They're for the screw holes without the metal rims.

Yeah when I was re installing the motherboard I put all of the stand-offs in the correct positions.

Would getting another sound card be a solution? I think the case is not grounded properly since when I put my headset jack against any metal part of the case I can hear the exact same interference? :(

One of my friends has the same case and power supply and he has no problems? :confused:

Sorry to double post but I just tried out my headset on my logitech g510 keyboard (it has audio ports) and I can hear the exact same noise. I think that the keyboard has a built in audio processor so this must rule out the realteck HD audio?
    The headset needs USB power BTW so I had it connected to the front pannel USB port.

• Advertisement

Maybe a dodgy fan motor?

Solitaire wrote: »
    Maybe a dodgy fan motor?

Maybe but why would the EMI get worse/change while on the title screen of Minecraft? :confused:

CPU/GPU fans speed up?

Advertisement