Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should i jailbreak my iphone 4?

Options
  • 28-04-2011 1:11am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 46

is jailbreaking my iphone 4 worth the risk? if it breaks will apple fix it after that? also will a restore to factory settings undo the jailbreak?..

i already had to have my phone replaced so i dont want to put myself at any unnessasary risk with the new one.. so is it worth it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,192 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Leave the tinkering to the android heads. Unless you really need to jailbreak it your best off leave it alone.
    Yes you can do a full restore if it all goes wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭Chefburns

if its jailbroken then apple won't touch it but if you factory restore it overwrites the whole jailbreak with the most recent apple ios

• Registered Users Posts: 7,498 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

Read up on what jail breaking actually does and make a decision on whether its something you *need* to do or not.

You can restore you phone back to the original so there is a very small chance of bricking the phone but there is always a risk.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,127 ✭✭✭kjl

yes, you should otherwise you are limiting your phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭O-Deazy

Nooooooooo, don't! If you do you're really shooting yourself in the foot! If theres ever a problem and Apple find out it was tampered with they won;t touch it! IMO its not worth it...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,499 ✭✭✭IamMetaldave

O-Deazy wrote: »
    Nooooooooo, don't! If you do you're really shooting yourself in the foot! If theres ever a problem and Apple find out it was tampered with they won;t touch it! IMO its not worth it...

And how are Apple going to know you did anything with it after you restore it?

OP, Jailbreaking is well worth it. Like the guys said, read up on it. There's an abundance and great guidance on Boards and places like ModMyi. If you want to customise how your phone looks and sounds, with themes etc as well as having access to an incredible amount of tweaks and apps that are not available on the appstore, then you should Jailbreak. If you want to just use your phone for what you bought it for, like Phone, messaging, email, iPod.. and this serves your purpose, then leave it.

But know one thing, do not be afraid of Jailbreaking for fear of voiding your warranty or anything, if something goes wrong you can restore it and go back to Apple and get your issue resolved. They will not know you were jailbroken*.

* Just don't do custom unlocks with iPad firmwares ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

I would only jailbreak if you have a really good reason for doing so. Its worth remembering that jailbreaking will open up a world of security vulnerabilities, that fact doesn't really get highlighted enough.

cornbb wrote: »
    I would only jailbreak if you have a really good reason for doing so. Its worth remembering that jailbreaking will open up a world of security vulnerabilities, that fact doesn't really get highlighted enough.

:rolleyes: Quite the opposite, the JB community was 1st to patch the PDF exploit after it was use to JB.

And how about this latest tracking charade, 'untrackerd' tweak from cydia sorts that out too :D
    The particular database file that ‘untracked’ blocks is consolidated.db, it also will clean up information that already exists in the database. More importantly, the utility requires no options for the user to worry about. It just fixes the problem.

cisk wrote: »
    :rolleyes: Quite the opposite, the JB community was 1st to patch the PDF exploit after it was use to JB.

And opening up how many other exploits? You are pretty naive if you think that you are making your device more secure by jailbreaking it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 reddivil

OP, Jailbreaking is well worth it. . If you want to customise how your phone looks and sounds, with themes etc as well as having access to an incredible amount of tweaks and apps that are not available on the appstore,

thats really what got me interested in jailbreaking... customizing the interface and the phone in general.

i've read a little into the apps and i understand that for the 3gs it fixed problems like no tethering and video recorder..

what are the best and most usefull apps for iphone4 that are not available on the appstore? first hand experience if possible,

iblacklist sounds handy i must admit!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,849 ✭✭✭Redisle

There's plenty of cool things you can install once jailbroken.

Nice list here. Sbsettings and Infinifolders are particularly handy there. Sbsettings is a quick access menu for turning on/off things like 3g, bluetooth, wifi and closing running processes, You can access it any time by swiping your finger along the top of the screen, very very handy.

Another one of my favourites is an app called FirewallIP. Full firewall for your iphone. You can control internet access individually for each app, use it to stop free apps connecting to ad servers etc. Very handy. Another one is "Poof!" which lets you hide apps you don't use but can't delete (Weather, stocks etc)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭NullZer0

O-Deazy wrote: »

Whaaaattt? You can restore it.
    Leave the tinkering to the android heads. Unless you really need to jailbreak it your best off leave it alone.
    Yes you can do a full restore if it all goes wrong.

Apple are contradicting themselves really considering the fact that the phone is built on a Unix based OS (Under what license I dont know). Whats the point in owning and Android OR and iPhone without having root access?

Vulnerabilities - which ones?
    Are you a security engineer? - its not that hard to secure.
    And opening up how many other exploits? You are pretty naive if you think that you are making your device more secure by jailbreaking it.

Exactly, why should you have the right to do what you want with a phone that you paid for? :eek:

And now I shall leave this thread well alone :-)

iRock wrote: »
    Apple are contradicting themselves really considering the fact that the phone is built on a Unix based OS (Under what license I dont know). Whats the point in owning and Android OR and iPhone without having root access?

For your average Joe User, the security and ease of a locked-down, sandboxed device outweigh the benefits of root access - the majority won't even know what root access is.
    Vulnerabilities - which ones?
    Are you a security engineer? - its not that hard to secure.

Its not difficult to tell that breaking sandboxing and granting root access to countless unvetted apps is opening your device up to a potential world of hurt. Keyloggers and other such malware have been proven to work on jailbroken devices where they could not affect non-jailbroken devices. I'm not a security engineer but you don't have to take my word for it: http://iphonejailbreaktools.com/6118/jailbreaking-jailbreaking-device-paves-way-for-malware.html
    Exactly, why should you have the right to do what you want with a phone that you paid for? :eek:

I didn't say you shouldn't do what you want with it, I'm saying you should be aware of the risks of doing so.

ok also, how many people were experiencing trouble with their iphone4??

i had to have my replaced for closing apps constantly, needed to restart it every day to get some things going again.. i got it around october.. just got it replaced a week ago,after 3 repair attempts and vodafone chancing their arm with not replacing it. no problems yet but after my first one i'm cautious..

however i'm stongly considering jailbreaking it now.. any possible negative effects would seem to reversed after the restore..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭Joe10000

I've done my iPhone 4 and never looked back, go for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,433 ✭✭✭Deep Thought

I JB my iPhone 4

But have now gone back, I only ever find SBsettings of any use

I have used many themes, apps etc...but they all demolished my battery

There are some good reasons for it

But I have found them all defunked now

I used to use it to Multi Task...iphone does it now
    I used to use it properly use Blutooth headfone....iphone does it now

I was impressed with the 5 icon dock..but so what..

My 2 cents anywho !!!!

The narrower a man’s mind, the broader his statements.

Just don't do custom unlocks with iPad firmwares ;)

what do you recommend i use? What precautions should i take

• Registered Users Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭Spunk84

Wasn't there a court case were apple was told they couldn't do nothing about you JB your phone? I have had JB from day one and love that I can get free themes,music,ringtones etc in the situation where your phone has to be fixed you can just return it to factory settings. Use funbox or iTunes to return it. Same as unlocking as well, I have mine unlocked but I still pay Three for bill pay and there none the wiser;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,127 ✭✭✭kjl

There is one blatantly obvious reason to jailbreak, but the overlords of the Apple Media Devices forums has deemed it against the rules to talk about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭inkogneetoe

Ive just jailbroken and then imediately undone it to my 3G. I wanted to see what it was all about and if the restore would bring everything back.

My first issue was loss of 3G reception after the jailbreak.(I had another iphone beside me that had full 3G)

After undoing the JB via a restore from iTunes i proceeded to restore from the backup i made before the jailbreak but the file was corrupted so now I have a backup file of 1.8GB of contacts/SMS/photos/videos that im still trying to find out how to recover,if i can.:(

Im not saying do or dont JB but what i am saying is backup your data in more ways then one.you cant have enough copies of your valuable data. After the initial restore everything on the phone seemed fine with no residual JB effects.

As its been said,read up on it and satisfy yourself.

Edit: If you want to unlock it to another network beware of the baseband issue. If you have baseband 5.x.x and above you have to install an ipad base band and you cannot downgrade it should you need to restore your phone and send to repair.Apple will see the baseband and know it was JB and unlocked

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,499 ✭✭✭IamMetaldave

reddivil wrote: »
    what do you recommend i use? What precautions should i take

You don't need to worry about this unless you are trying to unlock your iPhone after you jailbreak it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭Spacedog

if you want a glorified wanky status symbol with overpriced apps, stick with baby mode.

if you know how many bytes are in a KB jailbreak that sucker, set your password and take a look at the hardcore apps. download files, download youtube, play proper video, commandline terminal with SFTP and SSH apt, bash; bit torrent over wifi, mp3 playback free of crappy itunes DRM, scumm vm, classic console emulators, view orwellian tracking data, free wanky useless emerald app.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭Spunk84

kjl wrote: »
    There is one blatantly obvious reason to jailbreak, but the overlords of the Apple Media Devices forums has deemed it against the rules to talk about it.

? What we not aloud to talk about
    Spacedog wrote: »
    if you want a glorified wanky status symbol with overpriced apps, stick with baby mode.

if you know how many bytes are in a KB jailbreak that sucker, set your password and take a look at the hardcore apps. download files, download youtube, play proper video, commandline terminal with SFTP and SSH apt, bash; bit torrent over wifi, mp3 playback free of crappy itunes DRM, scumm vm, classic console emulators, view orwellian tracking data, free wanky useless emerald app.

Heheheheehehe he is wanky:D

Spunk84 wrote: »
    ? What we not aloud to talk about

spacebats...

• Registered Users Posts: 704 ✭✭✭LukeS_

I bet all the people who have said "OMG NO DON'T JAILBREAK" haven't jailbroken or anything before. I've been jailbreaking my iPod Touch's/iPhone for about two years now and haven't really found any reason why not to jailbreak. It basically just opens up Apples little ecosystem with really nice tweaks. For instance I have this tweak that allows me to sync my music from my PC to my iPhone without the need for iTunes. Simple drag and drop. There are too many nice little tweaks to mention. It's actually legal to jailbreak, if you didn't know. ;)

I don't see anything that can go wrong with jailbreaking. I've done it for a lot of friends and family and have never came across a problem. Even if you do then just enter DFU mode and restore from iTunes.

So, yes, I think you should jailbreak as there's nothing that can really go wrong, it's not even a question to be honest as the dev teams have made it so easy to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,735 ✭✭✭Stuxnet

why you should jailbreak by Saurik himself, creator of Cydia, the jailbreak app store !!

25 april 2011

• Registered Users Posts: 4,433 ✭✭✭Deep Thought

LukeS_ wrote: »
    I bet all the people who have said "OMG NO DON'T JAILBREAK" haven't jailbroken or anything before. I've been jailbreaking my iPod Touch's/iPhone for about two years now and haven't really found any reason why not to jailbreak.

Incorrect..How can someone give an opinion if they havent done it and had experience of it ? Have always JB my phone.

I agree that there are benefits...but in My opinion I dont not see much benefit

I sit in work with my phone listening to Wunderradio....

I answer / make calls and check my email

I use remote to manage my music via my airport express and find itunes very easy to use on my Mac

Simple as,

I dont see the benefit of having different icons on my phone or different themes - Only I see them

I installed lockinfo and many other themes like mac widget etc and they all killed my battery in a few hours

Many cydia apps freeze my phone and I have to re-boot, then the app causes it to start in safe mode, so need to uninstall and re-boot

And if Apple being out a major, serious F/W update and I install all the JB stuff is gone and I have do it all over again

Once again this is my 0.02 cents worth

The narrower a man’s mind, the broader his statements.

Well I did it.. Used rensn0w To jailbreak my phone.. So far no problems. Have downloaded many cool tweaks and apps.. I don't think I'm going to regret this decision. Found a few themes that looks really cool..carbonx hd has to my favourite so far..
    what are people's favourite apps and tweaks?

LukeS_ wrote: »
    . I have this tweak that allows me to sync my music from my PC to my iPhone without the need for iTunes. Simple drag and drop. .

What's it called?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,176 ✭✭✭vinnycoyne

I would like to remind everyone of the following in the forum charter:
    No discussion of anything illegal, with special mention of cracked apps.

Please adhere to these and the standard boards.ie rules. Thank you.

Advertisement