Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Prevent someone lodging money to my account?

Options
  • 28-04-2011 1:37am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭

Strange question, but is there a means of preventing a particular person (or any account with that person's name on it) from lodging money to my account? I'm with Ulster Bank if that makes any odds.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 babyface11

give it to me instead!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭Breezer

babyface11 wrote: »
    give it to me instead!
    Did you register just to say that? :rolleyes:

Yeah OK I realise it's a strange thing to be asking, but if anyone knows if it's possible I'd appreciate some info.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,192 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

It's a strange question and I'd say the answer is no as long as they have your account number and sort code.

It begs the question, why the question.

It's a strange question and I'd say the answer is no as long as they have your account number and sort code.

It begs the question, why the question.
    Personal issue with a very disturbed individual whom I want nothing to do with.

I'll get in touch with the bank in any case, I was just hoping someone on here could provide an answer in the small hours :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭tommy21

Look OP, that tech-savvy Arabian Sheikh will insist on depositing the money in your account, you can't stop him.

• Advertisement

OK, hilarious. I appreciate the unusual nature of the question, and the obvious joke has now been made twice. Can future replies be reserved for helpful information please?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭tommy21

Breezer wrote: »
    OK, hilarious. I appreciate the unusual nature of the question, and the obvious joke has now been made twice. Can future replies be reserved for helpful information please?

No, it is not possible to do this. You could ask for a new account number but this will take some time.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭unclebill98

Call your branch and ask to speak to the sqa. Service quality advisor.

Tell them your problem, ie crazy person trying to lodge money. Then ask for a refer marker to be logged on your account. They will then add a note to an internal system for any branch to refer to to to see why there is a refer warning.

It's no fool proof and does not always work, so please bear that in mind.

Failing that change your account number.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 491 ✭✭doomed

Dear Bertie - Insist on cash payments as before.

Seriously I don't think the banks look at who fills in a lodgement slip and assume that the money is welcome. I am assuming there is more to your query than you are saying (e.g. some form of contractual arrangement which you consider void but the other party is attempting to make payments against your will). I would change the account number which means closing the existing one. You will have to give the bank more information though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 894 ✭✭✭filmbuffboy

only way to avoid them lodging to your account is to close the acc and open a new one. if you explained to the bank why, im sure they would oblige.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭broker2008

My sister told me of a girl she knew who was owed money by an ex boyfriend who refused to pay up so she used to lodge 1p into his account because he was getting charged per transaction to get her own back. She used to make 10 or 12 lodgements per day in different banks and he got charged something like 24p for every lodgement. It was weeks before he twigged and then he reported to the branch who did something similar to what unclebill has suggested and the teller said it to the girl and she stopped. I would say that a change in account number and/or bank/branch would be more successful.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,653 ✭✭✭✭amdublin

Yep get an internal warning message added that "Lodgements only to be accepted from xxxx (you!). Please check identification"

The teller could then hand the money back to the crazy person and say unfortunately I cannot process your transaction.

However! When you think about the scenario above this will surely enrage crazy person and may cause a reaction. Will the bank want to get involved with this??!

Personally (sounds drastic) I'd close that account and move to a completely different bank.

Means crazy person will simply be told: this account is closed.

The bank have no choice. It's your instruction and the teller will simply say they can not process the lodgement. End of.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,807 ✭✭✭castie

I had a similar problem before.

Friend of mine borrowed some money while travelling and was paying it back weekly. But when it was paid back she kept forgetting to cancel it.

So I went to my branch and asked to stop the transfers and they told me it could only be down on her end!!

That's different. That's a standing order from their end.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,653 ✭✭✭✭amdublin

The bank have no choice. It's your instruction and the teller will simply say they can not process the lodgement. End of.

Yes.

I wonder how crazy person will react to that though?

Will they vent at the bank employee?

Yeah I'd say so. UB staff are fully trained to deal with ****e like that. After whole spitting thing when the banks went bust.

Tbh I'd love to see the reaction!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭old_aussie

How could you stop it being done via direct deposit by computer transfer?

The credit will appear but can then be sent back. Depending on the bank a record of lodgement may appear on your statement.

Normally returning a dd/so will need to be done on the day of the credit and before a certain time. So it can be tricky enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭f9710145

what do you do if someone uses the quick lodgement box? noone would know who the lodgement came from...

• Advertisement

The funds would not be lodged and it would be left in an account belonging to the bank till it's claimed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 428 ✭✭Chipboard

I am sure that if there is a lodgment to your account which you don't want and you inform the Bank of this they will debit it out and either re-issue it to the person who lodged it (if they provided details) or send it to CAB as a suspicious transaction.

Logic says that you cannot be forced to keep a lodgment such as this as, if the taxman audited you, you would have to account for the lodgment and you couldn't do that. If Revenue deem it to be income you could be penalised for not having paid tax on it.

Many people in positions of responsibility Gardai, Judges, Prison Officers, Revenue Officials etc couldn't possibly allow anonymous lodgments to be left in their account as they could be accused of taking bribes so there is no way that you would have to keep it if you didn't want it.

Sure will raise some eyebrows in the Bank. Not many customers complaining of having too much money in their account these days!!

Advertisement