Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Having trouble with my Thompson tg585 router

Options
  • 28-04-2011 2:19am
    Registered Users Posts: 9

Basically i signed up to wimax the other day and i tried to log in to my router to change wpa/wep settings etc. Trouble is that the standard ip addresses i have used in the past for other routers do not allow me access to the Thompson tg585 router eg; 192.168.1.1 or 192.168.1.254 < i have seen on many posts from my search on google that this is the router default ip address but when i type it into my searchbar i get "Oops! Google Chrome could not connect to 192.168.1.254" i hava also tried it in IE and Firefox and no luck either. I'm probably not doing something that is staring me in the face so any help would be great

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 9,812 CMod ✭✭✭✭Shield

Moved from Newbies & FAQ to Nets & Comms with redirect expiring in 7 days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭rmacm

Basically i signed up to wimax the other day and i tried to log in to my router to change wpa/wep settings etc. Trouble is that the standard ip addresses i have used in the past for other routers do not allow me access to the Thompson tg585 router eg; 192.168.1.1 or 192.168.1.254 < i have seen on many posts from my search on google that this is the router default ip address but when i type it into my searchbar i get "Oops! Google Chrome could not connect to 192.168.1.254" i hava also tried it in IE and Firefox and no luck either. I'm probably not doing something that is staring me in the face so any help would be great

Open up a command prompt and type ipconfig, under the entry for your network adapter you should see a Default Gateway address, try this in your browser and see if it works.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Cheeky Peanut

rmacm wrote: »
    Open up a command prompt and type ipconfig, under the entry for your network adapter you should see a Default Gateway address, try this in your browser and see if it works.
    Cheers for the reply, I did this and it is opening up a page where it prompts me to enter a password. thing is though the page it opened says "Welcome to Motorola Wimax CPE. Please type in your login password and click the Login button" Is this page my router one or the login page for the signal box that is on my roof? I have tried several passwords as none have came with any manual that i recieved, have tried all the default passwords i can think of eg; admin, 1234, 0000, etc and cannot access it

• Registered Users Posts: 21,467 ✭✭✭✭Alun

The TG585 is an ADSL router / modem so won't work with your setup. I assume you've just connected the Wimax modem to one of the 4 switch ports on the router? If so you're just using it as a switch / wireless access point so no firewall or NAT. Add to that that probably both devices will be providing DHCP, possibly even in the same ranges, and it's a recipe for confusion.

You need to get a new router, one without a built-in ADSL modem. These are often (rather confusingly) referred to as cable routers because traditionally cable broadband companies supply their own modems.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭rmacm

Sounds like you're not getting access to the Thompson but to your WiMax equipment instead. I doubt your ISP will have given you the password for this though as they wouldn't want customers messing with it.

I'm not really familiar with WiMax myself but you should have something like this:
    [Antenna]---[modem]---[Thompson]---[PC/Laptop], the Thompson should be the default gateway for your machine and the Thompson should pick up configuration via DHCP on its WAN port from the modem.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9 Cheeky Peanut

rmacm wrote: »
    Sounds like you're not getting access to the Thompson but to your WiMax equipment instead. I doubt your ISP will have given you the password for this though as they wouldn't want customers messing with it.

I'm not really familiar with WiMax myself but you should have something like this:
    [Antenna]---[modem]---[Thompson]---[PC/Laptop], the Thompson should be the default gateway for your machine and the Thompson should pick up configuration via DHCP on its WAN port from the modem.

yeah thats the setup i have at the moment, my last ZyXEL router that i had on Digiweb worked perfectly as i was able to enter a standard ip address and it would open up my ZyXEL config page after my password was entered

Advertisement