Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gaming pads - Worth the cost?

Options
  • 22-04-2011 8:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭

Was wondering has anyone out there used any of the gaming pads on the market for CAD or Revit, I was looking at one and was thinking how useful it could be.

Here is a video review of an example of gaming pad incase unaware of them
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eu9w5lAlwsA

Also have seen the use of a 3D mouse with Revit 2012, looks useful but think the benifits do not out weight the cost, heres video I found of its advantages
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cUOAEfcIlD4&feature=player_embedded

Any experience or opinions would be greatly appreciated,
    Thank you

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 39,284 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Gaming Pad:
    I don't really see how this would be usefull. It's basicly extra function keys, easily reachable for speed. This is designed for gaming where the extr split second counts, I don't see it beign a huge advantage in drafting where commands do not in nearly as quick sucession. THe standard shortcuts in AutoCad can be customised. Just edit the acad.pgp file (tools>customise>edit program parameters). you really don't need macros for commands in Autocad, each is stand-alone. You also have the F2-F12 keys. Pretty sure these can be edited, they can in microstation anyway.

3D mouse:
    Looks like a bit of a gimmick. You can zome, pan, rotate easily enough with a standard mouse and scroll wheel. This is obviously slihtly faster as it allows two at once, but is that really going to save much time. It might be hand for presentations, but I'd rather a mouse for drafting. Esp when you need to switch between typing in other programs and drafting

Advertisement