Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nervous about Letting Agent

Options
  • 28-04-2011 2:37am
    Registered Users Posts: 7

I'm hoping someone can help me.
    I have just paid a deposit on a flat, and due to pay the rest next week when I move in and sign the lease.

I found the ad on daft and its all being done through a letting agent.
    He only leaves a first name and a mobile number. This letting agent has had a lot of recent ads on daft, but he has no office, email or even website.

I checked the PRTB website, but it doesn't seem like the property is registered.

I really want this flat, but am feeling nervous that there is no trace of his business other than the ads on daft.
    I have already handed over a cash deposit, and I am just wondering is it normal for a letting agent to be only contacted by a mobile phone number, and not to have an office or even a website?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

I have already handed over a cash deposit, and I am just wondering is it normal for a letting agent to be only contacted by a mobile phone number, and not to have an office or even a website?
    Errr... some of these work from home, but not sure about handing over a deposit before moving in? Could you PM me him mobile number. Would like to Google it to see what comes up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭SteoL

A lot of scam artists post ads on Daft. I agree with The Syco - shouldn't hand over any cash before you move. Hope you haven't been done.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭bobmalooka

Theres also a good few unemployed people acting as non registered letting agents to make a few bob on the side, I know a couple of people doing this, they are undercutting regular agents prices so ya should be getting a decent price at least.

Hope its not a scam, ya shouldn't hand over deposit till you get the keys imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Folly go Lightly

the_syco wrote: »
    Errr... some of these work from home, but not sure about handing over a deposit before moving in? Could you PM me him mobile number. Would like to Google it to see what comes up.
    SteoL wrote: »
    A lot of scam artists post ads on Daft. I agree with The Syco - shouldn't hand over any cash before you move. Hope you haven't been done.
    bobmalooka wrote: »
    Theres also a good few unemployed people acting as non registered letting agents to make a few bob on the side, I know a couple of people doing this, they are undercutting regular agents prices so ya should be getting a decent price at least.

Hope its not a scam, ya shouldn't hand over deposit till you get the keys imo.

Thanks for your responses.
    He told me I had to pay a deposit in order to 'hold' the property for me until I sign the lease, and pay the rest of the money.

Is this not normally done?
    How else does someone secure a flat if they are not moving in for a couple of weeks?

• Registered Users Posts: 78,393 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Thanks for your responses.
    He told me I had to pay a deposit in order to 'hold' the property for me until I sign the lease, and pay the rest of the money.

Is this not normally done?
    How else does someone secure a flat if they are not moving in for a couple of weeks?
    Its called a holding deposit. Depending on the terms, you may lose this if you decide not to take the property.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 727 ✭✭✭prettygurrly

We paid a holding deposit and STILL haven't been allowed to move in and this is with a reputable company in town. The laws in this country are a joke. I am now homeless.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

I am now homeless.
    As you said
    I have just paid a deposit on a flat, and due to pay the rest next week when I move in and sign the lease.
    It would seem that the previous tenants are moving out next week, and you move in shortly afterwards?

Advertisement