Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

License help

• 28-04-2011 2:40am
    Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭

I currently hold a provsional driving license for a car but I'll hopefully have a full one next week but don't want a car anymore way to dear to get on the road. I want to apply for a provisional motorbike A license (I'm 18) so what would I do to get one if I have a full drivers license just confused about the situation with all this IBT stuff will I have to different licenses then???

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭KamiKazi

Look through the forum, this question comes up every second day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,823 ✭✭✭EvilMonkey

A motorbike wont be much cheaper than a car, probably more expensive than most small engined cars(Depends on what bike/car your talking about).
    Don't get a bike because its cheaper than a car, get a bike because they are more fun!

You apply for a provisional A licence and will need to do an AM theory test and IBT, plenty of threads here on it.
    Yes you will have a separate full licence for the car and a learner permit for the bike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

Well the initial outlay for a bike will be more exspensive for sure...protective gear and a helmet = not cheap. You dont have to break the bank but dont skimp. Yes the day to day costs are cheaper....i.e fuel, tax up keep.

But if you are 18 and looking to get a BIG BIKE 400/600cc you will be hammered on insurance. So if you want a good commuter bike like a 125/250cc you should be fine.

You have to apply for a motorbike/car theory test, when that is passed you need to apply for the license you want A1 for 125cc and A for bigger bikes. When you get the license you need to do the IBT training. When passed you will now be able to get a bike and insure it.

Hope this helps.

;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,823 ✭✭✭EvilMonkey

Wonda-Boy wrote: »
    You have to apply for a motorbike/car theory test, when that is passed you need to apply for the license you want A1 for 125cc and A for bigger bikes. When you get the license you need to do the IBT training. When passed you will now be able to get a bike and insure it.

He can drive a 125 on an A if he wants to, you just have to do the test on >125cc.

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭kearney13

The only car I'd want is a Volkswagon Golf, Bora or Caddy van. I would love to able to afford a car but with the way the times are I can't and fortunatly I'm not in need of a car yet. I do agree I only want a bike because there cheaper in the long run but there unbelievable fun, had a few here and there. First one I bought for 50 quid was a Suzuki rg80 no clutch or brakes, it was a death machine but it was the best craic I ever had in a feild but it only lasted two days before she just gave up. I had mopeds had a fall of one of them back tire was bald, driving on loose gravel pulled the back brakes going about 60 kph and you slid into a ditch very stupid move but learned from it. Had other bikes but own a 125 pit bike at the moment great fun :)

What gets me about the bike license is the theroy test I've done it for the car and its the same test asume for the bike so would i send off the license I have to get an A learners permit?

The bike I would love to get Yamaha Dragster 250cc nice looking bike would move my way up in power slowly though

Thanks for the help lads

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭goz83

I did the bike thoery test last year, so i escaped the need for IBT, although I still plan to get a couple of real lessons before going for the text. Only prob is I have a 125 and want to get a bigger one for the test, so i get the full "A", rather than the "A1" license.

Regarding the theory test; it's pretty much the same as the car theory, but they tend to ask more bike questions.

Advertisement