Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What Monday Tournament are people entering?

Options
  • 28-04-2011 3:53am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,406 ✭✭✭

Just out of interest? I have checked the friendlies lounge and they are all full or have stupid rules.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭mar-z

At the moment not in one. Like you there was none open that I was interested in.

I'm still hoping someone takes over the boards cup to keep that running (c'mon people someone has to want and have time to :D) as otherwise I'm going to be on the constant search for friendlies next season. I would do it but the Thursday league is enough for me to do.

On the plus side the friendlies thread will be popular again!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,203 ✭✭✭crisco10

Not in any.

I like to not be commited every Monday to a game. It's nice to rest every once in awhile and getting friendlies most weeks isn't hard.

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭satory

I'm not in any as well at present, I'm happy enough to post in the friendlies thread here and see what I get, when I want a friendly that is

• Registered Users Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭eoferrall

I'm tempted to say I will admin the monday cup this season?

it involves organising the fixtures and inputting them into BR and thats it? and well updating the website but I have no idea how to do that...:o

is there the demand for a monday cup with the thursday cup working so well with the divisions etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,238 ✭✭✭Gelio

Who won last season?

• Advertisement

ajeffares wrote: »
    Who won last season?

not sure...:eek:

Phonehead was admin I think. not even sure if it was finished, the group stages were input but I see nothing after that.

Maybe this has died to be replaced by BCL.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,406 ✭✭✭Phonehead

am....oh yeah.... it's so hard to find the time to do the calculations and fixtures for this. I kind of just forgot and then thought ah who cares..

What I am planning on doing is creating a new cup, simliar to the Shield they have in New Zealand. Basically it's like a boxing title format, you win you become the Irish champion, however, you lose and I delete the trophy from your cabinet and hand it to the new holder. The title can be played for in any game, league, Monday/Thursday friendly and the cup, the rules are - well there are not many.

- The challenger must announce their intention to play for the title before the game, by either posting in the thread in the Irish clubrooms or by leaving a msg on the Champs guestbook.

- Only Irish teams can hold it
    - If a Champ holds it and is unable to put the title on the line at least once a week, then the trophy is removed and given to the next in line
    - A list of challengers will be created in the clubrooms, you add your name and your title shot (via friendlies) is in the order you signed up (If you meet in a cup or league you can take a shot at the title also) When you play your name goes back to the bottom of the list.

- A timeline of Champions and games will be maintained
    - A records list will be maintained

Phonehead wrote: »
    am....oh yeah.... it's so hard to find the time to do the calculations and fixtures for this. I kind of just forgot and then thought ah who cares..

What I am planning on doing is creating a new cup, simliar to the Shield they have in New Zealand. Basically it's like a boxing title format, you win you become the Irish champion, however, you lose and I delete the trophy from your cabinet and hand it to the new holder. The title can be played for in any game, league, Monday/Thursday friendly and the cup, the rules are - well there are not many.

- The challenger must announce their intention to play for the title before the game, by either posting in the thread in the Irish clubrooms or by leaving a msg on the Champs guestbook.

- Only Irish teams can hold it
    - If a Champ holds it and is unable to put the title on the line at least once a week, then the trophy is removed and given to the next in line
    - A list of challengers will be created in the clubrooms, you add your name and your title shot (via friendlies) is in the order you signed up (If you meet in a cup or league you can take a shot at the title also) When you play your name goes back to the bottom of the list.

- A timeline of Champions and games will be maintained
    - A records list will be maintained

This sounds like it could be decent.

satory wrote: »
    This sounds like it could be decent.

So you owuld only HAVE to play if you were the current champion, so you lose and you could rest players for a few weeks. I like this idea...

but is there a intensity agreement or anything? so you could win it by LTNT'ing someone on WNWIM if you know they have a busy schedule coming up?

interesting...

I'd be in for this.

Whatever intensity you want, also thinking, like in boxing you can play for places to move up the title shot ladder. Let's say I'm number 3 and you are number 10 on the list, if I agree we can put my placing on the line in our match - you win, you take my spot! you lose and I not only keep my spot but I take your placing so you move back to bottom of the list and I have an extra shot at the title.

I know in NZ, they don't allow friendly games to count, however, because of this the title seems to stay with the big teams and doesn't move around too much. A good TNT on a Monday and a Div 3 club can take the title from a Div 1 playing wnwim.

• Advertisement

Phonehead wrote: »
    Whatever intensity you want, also thinking, like in boxing you can play for places to move up the title shot ladder. Let's say I'm number 3 and you are number 10 on the list, if I agree we can put my placing on the line in our match - you win, you take my spot! you lose and I not only keep my spot but I take your placing so you move back to bottom of the list and I have an extra shot at the title.

I know in NZ, they don't allow friendly games to count, however, because of this the title seems to stay with the big teams and doesn't move around too much. A good TNT on a Monday and a Div 3 club can take the title from a Div 1 playing wnwim.

Would it be a good idea to set up a google doc spreadsheet of the current ranking that 2 or 3 people have editing rights to?

we could do up a post (edit 1st one here) and have the rules (guidelines!?) and the link to the current ranking. That way if you are away/busy etc there is someone else to keep the ball rolling, esp if we do have the moving up and down the ladder matches also?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,203 ✭✭✭crisco10

Like the ladder idea. Like a tennis club.

A couple of methods listed here for how to run the ranking table.

I like the simple leap frog.

Ya Leap frog - sounds simple, will make it a battle just to get a shot at the title - obviously it would have to be optional whether you put your ranking on the line as otherwise the lower level clubs will never get a shot at the title.

What incentive for the person higher on the list to put their ranking on the line:confused: how about a special end of season trophy to the team that has won the most games in the Cup. So you may not win the crown all season but because you have done the business and been a brave competitor you get a nice bravery medal.

Re admins, ya would defo need a couple as the trophy could change hands a few times a week. Any taker?

I think that it should be mandatory for the holder of the cup to put the title on the line at least once a week, that gives them 3/4 possible matches within a week in which to do so. Failure to do so, without providing an adequate reason, like no challengers, should forfeit the title...

I do like the idea of giving a medal for brave competitors... Does the BR trophy system allow for "badges", like soberity badges? Every 10 successful defences of their title they get a new badge?

I'd be happy to help out if needed...

Advertisement