Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nightclubs!

• 28-04-2011 4:01am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 166 ✭✭

Anybody else getting kinda tired of them? I can't make up my mind..

I'm a lad and it seems like all everyone wants to do is go out and get the shift. No regard for good old fashioned shenanigans. But seriously, there is far too much emphasis on the 'shift', not as if it's getting the ride or anything. Very few are just out to have a laugh.

I have to say that I'm partial to going out and doing the whole "pull all you can" the odd time, but I have to say I'd rather just have a girlfriend.

Hate people who can't have craic either. Won't dance, won't laugh, just stand there shuffling seriously and stare at you as if you have two heads when you go near a girl or just shift some 'fat' bird for the laugh. Like thats all they're trying to do anyway by acting like such a twat, get a girl.

Needless to say, I will be frequenting a nightclub regardless within the week I would imagine.

Want to meet girls outside of that setting that I can have a relationship with though, would be far better than trying to scream into some poor girls ear with music blaring the head off ya!

What do you guys and girls think?

Are you getting tired of them?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,893 ✭✭✭Davidius

Never been in a nightclub.

True story.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭Rothmans

Yeah, not mad about nightclubs myself. I usually get pretty bored, with all that loud music you can't hardly talk to anyone. I'd prefer the quiter pub myself. At least there you can talk to people. On a night out I usually spend most of my time in the smoking area purely because you can actually hear what people are saying and have a proper conversation. Jaysus, I don't know what I'd do on a night out without my tobacco.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭kev9100

It depends on the music they're playing. I love indie but I really can't stand dance or techno stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭SarahBeep!

I'm much more of a late bar/house party kinda girl! Since becoming the legal age to entre nightclubs, I seem to have grown out of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,382 ✭✭✭Duffy the Vampire Slayer

Few naggins of Kulov, then head to Club K. You'll have a right laugh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭Jamie Starr

Never been to one. I dislike the standard clientel of most nightclubs, the music they play, and just in general how utterly packed they always are. When I do go out I much prefer being in the smoking area of some pub, or just sitting down at a house party, having ridiculous conversations.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭IHeartChemistry

Havent been to a nightclub since RAG week, that was two months ago. I waaaaaaay prefer the sitting down in the smoking area in a late night pub drinking, smoking and chillaxing listening to good choooons and be able to have a proper conversation.

Nightclubs are for one thing. Shiftin and driftin. Not my scene. How ironic that that is where me and my current boyfriend made the moves on each other :rolleyes:

and dancing in a pub is daycent...the Brog in Cork is one of those pubs where you can just have the craic and dance. Love pubs also as you dont have to dress up like a slut going into them. Clubbing is effort.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,808 ✭✭✭ohthebaby

I love nightclubs. I'm not into the whole 'shifting and drifting' thing tbh and I don't drink a whole lot either but that doesn't stop me. I just love going out with my friends to dance around the place to loads of fun songs. Haven't been out in ages... :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭jumpguy

Late bars are kinda the best of both worlds tbf, not too much nightclub, not too much...pub. I don't mind nightclubs *usually*, when they're good craic, they're really good, but when they're shít, they're really shít...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭degausserxo

johnb03 wrote: »
    it seems like all everyone wants to do is go out and get the shift.

Don't go to them often but when I do it's definitely not for that purpose. I believe my exact words to a guy last week were 'get out of my way, I wanna daaaaaaaaaance!'

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭red_red_wine

I love going out, I really do, I love letting loose but I don't go out with the sole purpose of 'getting the shift' and tbh, people annoy me when that's their only aim.

Firstly, I hate the phrase 'get the shift.' As far as I'm concerned, there's not much getting about it, there'll always be someone there who'll be willing to stick their tongue back your throat. I find that that sort of thing is only enjoyable when you actually know the person's first name.

Don't get me wrong, sometimes it's grand to do that, but it shouldn't be the great event of the night.

I'm guilty of this myself, but I don't enjoy having all of my friends smirking at me, one of them usually taking a picture, while you are meeting someone.

Some of the best nights I've had this year have just been my best friend and I, the only ones in our group of friends not yet 18. While everyone else is in Gorbys, shiftin' and driftin', we've just been having craic on our own in an old man's pub, where we obviously have no intention of shifting anyone. And you know what? It's so relieving to just go out for the fun, without any of that pressure.

I've only been let into Gorbys once and I was quite disapppointed that time, although to be fair, it was a quiet night.
    johnb03 wrote: »

Hate people who can't have craic either. Won't dance, won't laugh, just stand there shuffling seriously and stare at you as if you have two heads when you go near a girl or just shift some 'fat' bird for the laugh. Like thats all they're trying to do anyway by acting like such a twat, get a girl.

+1 What's the point of going out if you're going to take it so seriously? Likewise when I feel as if people are judging me. Not because I'm completely drunk or anything, just because I don't spend my time trying to dance 'sexily'. I'm not really into grinding random people, I can't dance and I know it, but that doesn't stop me from trying :P . It's great to just loose all inhibitions and dance maniacally with the craziest and worst actions imaginable. Then you have people who'll say to you the next day sardonically 'You should have seeen the way you were dancing last night.'

I know how I was dancing, I looked like a fool and I don't care. Just lighten up!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,298 ✭✭✭Namlub

Some of the best nights I've had this year have just been my best friend and I, the only ones in our group of friends not yet 18. While everyone else is in Gorbys, shiftin' and driftin', we've just been having craic on our own in an old man's pub, where we obviously have no intention of shifting anyone. And you know what? It's so relieving to just go out for the fun, without any of that pressure.

I've only been let into Gorbys once and I was quite disapppointed that time, although to be fair, it was a quiet night.
    Gorbys bouncers -.-
    Em the only place I've been to more than once is Mangans because they're not exactly fussy about letting 17 year olds in, and it's a shithole tbf but I still have a good time. So I like clubbing but not the clubs I go to and when I'm 18 I will hopefully go to better clubs. idk...

Namlub wrote: »
    Gorbys bouncers -.-
    Em the only place I've been to more than once is Mangans because they're not exactly fussy about letting 17 year olds in, and it's a shithole tbf but I still have a good time. So I like clubbing but not the clubs I go to and when I'm 18 I will hopefully go to better clubs. idk...

I love the Gorbys/Brog bouncers :D Those dudes are sound out in terms of bouncers in Cork city. Wait till you hit places like Reardons and Havanas. Then the trouble begins :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭red_red_wine

Sound out for those who are of legal age maybe :P To be fair, I think it's a good thing, it's annoying as hell right now, but when our time comes, we'll be glad that there are relatively few underagers in there...

The nicest bouncers in Cork have to be in The Old Oak. I really love that pub, sure it's not exactly the coolest place in town, but the atmosphere is lovely there :)

Sound out for those who are of legal age maybe :P To be fair, I think it's a good thing, it's annoying as hell right now, but when our time comes, we'll be glad that there are relatively few underagers in there...

The nicest bouncers in Cork have to be in The Old Oak. I really love that pub, sure it's not exactly the coolest place in town, but the atmosphere is lovely there :)

Yea, being legal and in college helps :p Ha, you'll always have the places with underagers. They do become annoying at times (no offence to anybody here :p ) But they can and have put bouncers in realllllly bad moods. and a cranky bouncer aint fun. Suas is also class.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,059 ✭✭✭Screaminmidget

Yea, being legal and in college helps :p Ha, you'll always have the places with underagers. They do become annoying at times (no offence to anybody here :p ) But they can and have put bouncers in realllllly bad moods. and a cranky bouncer aint fun. Suas is also class.

Im underage and theres nothing worse than seeing all of my brothers friends (mostly 16 year olds) running around the place.. I cant even imagine what its like for older people then...

But ya, nightclubs are fairly shocking, prefer the bar/smoking area myself, or Beer gardens!! :P untill i inevitably get thrown out...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 856 ✭✭✭Carl Sagan

I absolutely hate clubs playing chart music. Unfortunately, that's where most of my friends like to go.

Haven't had much of a chance to go anywhere playing real music, but the few times were really good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 355 ✭✭Lavattack

Never been to one. I dislike the standard clientel of most nightclubs, the music they play, and just in general how utterly packed they always are. When I do go out I much prefer being in the smoking area of some pub, or just sitting down at a house party, having ridiculous conversations.

If you have never been to one.......

1) How do you know what the standard of clientel is in a night club?

2) How do you know what music they play?

3) How can you know how packed they are?

It may be just me but I am curious as to how you know these things if you have never been to a nightclub?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭bobdole968

this song always reminds me of night clubs
    never liked em

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,298 ✭✭✭Namlub

Lavattack wrote: »

It may be just me but I am curious as to how you know these things if you have never been to a nightclub?
    Clubs aren't some sort of secret society, you can get a pretty good idea of what a lot of them are like without regularly going.
    Also, this

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 355 ✭✭Lavattack

Clubs aren't some sort of secret society, you can get a pretty good idea of what a lot of them are like without regularly going.
    Also, this

Ya fair enough but the fact remains he has and cannot have any clue about what actually goes on inside a nightclub. He may have an idea in his head but no more than a blind person as he has never seen it. I don't mean any disrespect to blind people btw.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,059 ✭✭✭Screaminmidget

Why is it all these topical threads bring out the weirdo's/randomers...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭Jamie Starr

Lavattack wrote: »

I know a lot of the people who go, doesn't mean I have to like those people.

I know the type of the music those people usually listen to. I know and talk to people, despite what my non-attendance at a night club must insinuate.

I have seen lines going out beyond the door of my local nightclub on a Saturday night. I'd say that's a fair indication of a pretty full place. Add to that the usual reports of 'the place was packed' when the night is through.

You don't necessarily have to have done something to know basic things about it. "How do you know sky-diving involves falling through the air if you've never done it?"

But you're right. It is the kind of religious experience that you can only really talk about once you've been. What really goes on there is one of the mysteries of life I am eternally damned to wrestle with, for when dusk falls each Saturday, and the expansive playlist of Spin South West towers above all my worldly senses, a terrible, unquenchable inferno of alien origin tears through my very soul. I realise I will never ascertain the innermost workings of this dimly-lit, alcohol powered large hydron collider which lies like a slumbering colossus, during the day, in the far reaches of my town. Thank you, thank you, for opening my eyes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,919 ✭✭✭Grindylow

I looooove nightclubs! So much fun!

I frequently visit them in the hope of having the craic, not so bothered about as you so elegantly (;)) put it "getting the shift" off a "fat" girl..

PS SUX2NOTB18

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭TrustedApple

Not a big fan of nightclubs give me a late bar anyday of the weak. I have been to must nightclubs in cork and still enjoy

I hate Gorbys but i only like it on Wed nights for freakscene which really is a gay night but i find the girls are a lot better looking at it and easyer to chat up and dont think your gay for dressing like your in a band

But suas and An Brog are good late bars and great to have a chat in

I was out once in dublin in the the academy and that was the best night i have a had in club great music and a great crowd

But they done the indie night in cork and it falled so bad it is not even funny

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭bythewoods

Ah lads, ye're all negative banter. Bottle of wine, few choons, bit'a dancin', bit'a shiftin', couple of shots, chips. That's heaven, right there.

Although I've gotten really lazy about going to clubs... Not bothered with heels or tan or any of that extravagant crap. In fact, haven't even changed the clothes I've worn all day the last few times I've gone out. Whoops.

If ye don't have the craic out ye should arrange a night with myself and m'friends. We are banter panthers. Especially me, I'm a lege, yeah.

I fucking love Coppers. The best bit is making up a fake persona depending on who you're talking to in the Smoking area. Best of times.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,808 ✭✭✭ohthebaby

bythewoods wrote: »
    I fucking love Coppers. The best bit is making up a fake persona depending on who you're talking to in the Smoking area. Best of times.

Oh snap. Making up fake personas has become the new focal point of my nights out. It's just so much fun. Some nights you could be two or three different people. The danger. The excitement!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭jefreywithonef

Prefer clubs tbh. In clubs my usual level of drunkenness isn't likely to stand out..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭TrustedApple

ohthebaby wrote: »
    Oh snap. Making up fake personas has become the new focal point of my nights out. It's just so much fun. Some nights you could be two or three different people. The danger. The excitement!

That's is the best thing on a night out to make up a person that your going to be for the night.
    Some nights I might be a DJ then some nights a am a lead singer of a band and can play a guitar( Which I can't sing or play a guitar)

Because I don't drink (Waste of money) I alleys make up story's why I can't drink. Like one night a girl asked me to do shots with her and I said I can't because I gig tomorrow night and it will destroy my singing then 30 mins later I was going of with her (That was my birthday there two days ago)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭bythewoods

Prefer clubs tbh. In clubs my usual level of drunkenness isn't likely to stand out..

I used to think the same, until I recently broke my arm and lacerated my scalp in a nightclub. Somehow, don't remember any of the intricate (or broad) details.

Advertisement