Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Comptia A+ material

Options
  • 28-04-2011 8:58am
    Registered Users Posts: 29,841 ✭✭✭✭

Hi, I'm looking to do the Comptia A+ exam and wanted to buy the book for it. Can anyone recommend a good book to get? I saw on Amazon Mike Myers passport A+ is very good but want to make sure before deciding.

Thanks for any advice.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭NullZer0

sheehy83 wrote: »
    Hi, I'm looking to do the Comptia A+ exam and wanted to buy the book for it. Can anyone recommend a good book to get? I saw on Amazon Mike Myers passport A+ is very good but want to make sure before deciding.

Thanks for any advice.

You got it in one.
    Haven't taken the exam but I've read that book (some time ago), seems to be the best out there.

Good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 775 ✭✭✭roboshatner

I did the course a few years back but I failed it I got just below 70 percent.

I never went back to do it again cause it costs a good bit to do again.

And its changed so much since I did it.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,841 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Thanks iRock, saw that here for approx 25 euro, very good price!

http://www.amazon.co.uk/CompTIA-Certification-Seventh-220-701-220-702/dp/0071701338/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1303978767&sr=8-1

I see as from 2011, you have to renew it every 3 years if you pass to keep it valid. Thats a bit much I think. Think i'm gonna go with Mike so!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭Adyx

I dunno if it's the same book, but I have his All in one Exam Guide and it's great. It's actually much better than the course material being provided to me and there's a practice exam and other resources on the CD-ROM. Pretty much everyone in the IT Certification forum seems to recommend it too.

There's also more exams and info here.

Thanks man, thats exactly the one I was looking at. Gonna go for that, great price too!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭Krusader

sheehy83 wrote: »

Thanks for any advice.

Some good vids for you

http://www.professormesser.com/free-a-plus-training/220-701/professor-messers-free-220-70x-comptia-a-training-course/

Thanks man, will check them out. Book just arrived today so gonna get stuck in!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭stomprockin

i'm doing the exam Friday week:) will let you know what its like if you want?

i'm doing the exam Friday week:) will let you know what its like if you want?

Please do, i'm going through the course at the mo

Crosáidí wrote: »
    Please do, i'm going through the course at the mo

Are you doing by eLearning or attending a class? I have finished the course a few weeks ago, just need to sit two exams - A+ Essentials 220-701 and Practical Application 220-702 exams.

• Advertisement

Are you doing by eLearning or attending a class? I have finished the course a few weeks ago, just need to sit two exams - A+ Essentials 220-701 and Practical Application 220-702 exams.

Blended learning

• Registered Users Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭Kur4mA

Who are you guys doing your A+ with?

kyub wrote: »
    Who are you guys doing your A+ with?

Hi, I am doing mine in Dorset College tomorrow at 2 pm.
    It cost's 155 each, just doing the one exam tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,366 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Reckon its worth it to do it?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 536 ✭✭✭ahal

I'm not sure if he does A+, but 'thenewboston' on youtube is one hell of a channel.

Vicxas wrote: »
    Reckon its worth it to do it?

Yep, think so, The cert is recognised worldwide.Nice to have on the C.V i reckon.

Passed the Essentials exam yesterday, need to the Practical exam now in a few weeks. found the Essentials exam ok, had 100 questions to do in 90 minutes. questions varied as expected, port numbers, pins on a Sata data connector,security concepts,OS's and some fuzzy customer care questions:)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,366 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

And what are the job prospects like?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

You will struggle to get a job with just an A+

Agreed - It's the first step in the right direction. You could do the Network + or Linux + next and just keep doing all them type Certs until there no room left :pac:

I think the A+ is your stepping stone into I.T, First type of job would be Helpdesk - Deskside type stuff i reckon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,712 ✭✭✭Worztron

Passed the Essentials exam yesterday, need to the Practical exam now in a few weeks. found the Essentials exam ok, had 100 questions to do in 90 minutes. questions varied as expected, port numbers, pins on a Sata data connector,security concepts,OS's and some fuzzy customer care questions:)

Did you pass the practical?

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

Worztron wrote: »
    Did you pass the practical?

Yes, Now im Looking to do some Microsoft certs, Don't know where to start...

Did you start the A+?

Yes, Now im Looking to do some Microsoft certs, Don't know where to start...

Did you start the A+?

Well done on passing the 2 A+ exams. Which one did you find more difficult?

Have not started A+ yet.

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

Well done on passing the 2 A+ exams. Which one did you find more difficult?

Have not started A+ yet.

Definitely the 702 ( Practical ) was harder. More scenario type questions, but like everything else, once you know your stuff it's not difficult.

I have a pdf with about 200 + questions and answers if you want?

Definitely the 702 ( Practical ) was harder. More scenario type questions, but like everything else, once you know your stuff it's not difficult.

Nice one. I'd love that. Could you upload to somewhere like www.speedyshare.com

Is the Practical exam an actual practical i.e. working on a PC taken apart or just multi choice similar to the Essentials exam?

Nice one. I'd love that. Could you upload to somewhere like www.speedyshare.com

Just pm'd you the link. I uploaded them to Dropbox.

Just pm'd you the link. I uploaded them to Dropbox.

Go raibh maith agat, a chara.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 PatrickMc

Any chance ya could pm to me as well ? I'm starting the A+ course tomorrow.

Thx PmaC

• Advertisement

Did you have a lot of tech experience before doing the A+ (were you working in IT?) or were you relatively new to computers before starting the course? How hard was the course on a scale of 1 to 10 (1 being simple).

Advertisement