Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Comptia A+ material

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 914 ✭✭✭DarkDusk

Definitely the 702 ( Practical ) was harder. More scenario type questions, but like everything else, once you know your stuff it's not difficult.

I have a pdf with about 200 + questions and answers if you want?

Would you mind sending me a PM with that also please? Thanks.
    Worztron wrote: »
    Did you have a lot of tech experience before doing the A+ (were you working in IT?) or were you relatively new to computers before starting the course? How hard was the course on a scale of 1 to 10 (1 being simple).

I'd be very interested to hear an answer to this too...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭stomprockin

Did you have a lot of tech experience before doing the A+ (were you working in IT?) or were you relatively new to computers before starting the course? How hard was the course on a scale of 1 to 10 (1 being simple).
    DarkDusk wrote: »
    Would you mind sending me a PM with that also please? Thanks.

I'd be very interested to hear an answer to this too...

Yes i work in support for the last two years prior to doing the A+

• Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭kuro2k

Would you mind sending me a PM with link also? Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,712 ✭✭✭Worztron

kuro2k wrote: »
    Would you mind sending me a PM with link also? Thanks.

Hi kuro2k. Did you get the PDF from stomprockin? I already sent it to DarkDusk. Do you want the dl link?

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭dareden

I just bought this course off Groupon, its done on e-careers website. I must say its seems a bit tough (boring) but the mike myers book is more informative and easier to stay awake when reading it.

I don't have any IT experience. Would you advise me to physically have an old computer to hand to look at when learning?

I'd love that pdf with the questions/answers also if someone wouldn't mind pm'ing me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30 jjjulio

Hi kuro2k. Did you get the PDF from stomprockin? I already sent it to DarkDusk. Do you want the dl link?

Hi

Could you send me that link, too, thanks.

I also have a query about CompTIA certification which I'm trying to study on my own through Professormesser's site and some others along with Meyers's book. I've never worked in computing but am doing different courses to build up some skills in this area and hope it might lead to something down the road. My query is: does it make any difference how you pass the exams for possible employment. If I do courses and exams largely on my own or through online sources rather than through colleges or private agencies, do employers treat this differently? Would they look on the certifications for say A+, MCSE, CCNA etc etc as second-class?

Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 PatrickMc

No, it boils down to the experience you have as well as the certs.

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭dakid

Definitely the 702 ( Practical ) was harder. More scenario type questions, but like everything else, once you know your stuff it's not difficult.

Hi, would you mind sending me on the pdf also?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,712 ✭✭✭Worztron

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Looking to find the cheapest possible way to buy this book :D what should I expect to pay? It's 36 with free delivery on book depository...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭Scorpion venom

hi wonder any chance of getting my hands on this PDF i have the book nearly finished it really interesting book :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭Eire Go Brach

Boarddeals now have a deal for this. I am thinking of doing it.

The thing is, looking at the Mike Meyers Book link in this forum. I came across the newer version with the 220-801 & 220-802 exams.

So its seems, the present ComTIA A+ is coming to an end. It is updated every 3 years. So I might now wait for the newer one. But I dont know how long it will be.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

I think the A+ is your stepping stone into I.T, First type of job would be Helpdesk - Deskside type stuff i reckon.

I know it's over a year, but just on this point. I've done 3 years in a Computing degree, and would know a good bit about fixing computers. Would this course be any use to me or would it be fairly pointless.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭Maysa07

I know it's over a year, but just on this point. I've done 3 years in a Computing degree, and would know a good bit about fixing computers. Would this course be any use to me or would it be fairly pointless.

I recon your computer degree is fine. is there any area within I.T you would like to go?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Maysa07 wrote: »
    I recon your computer degree is fine. is there any area within I.T you would like to go?

Web design or maintenance, still a bit undecided.

• Registered Users Posts: 976 ✭✭✭supremenovice

Lads, if I passed the 701 exam 10 months ago and Ive yet to pass the 702, how long have I got before Ive todo both again?
    Also, I done a course in IACT in Dublin City and I didnt like the way they handled some things about the exams (eg I failed and they congratulated me on passing!!)
    Where else can I sit it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭Faolchu

pretty sur eyou can book a walk in with new horizons

• Registered Users Posts: 12,438 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

I'll be starting this course on the 25th of this month and I was wondering should I buy this book now or should I wait to see what they say in the course? Will I need it or will class notes suffice?
    Also I found a copy of that book in easons today for €49, but it's the 7th edition, whereas the one on Amazon is the 8th edition. If I am to buy one of them, I assume the 8th edition is the one to get?

Dean09 wrote: »
    I'll be starting this course on the 25th of this month and I was wondering should I buy this book now or should I wait to see what they say in the course? Will I need it or will class notes suffice?
    Also I found a copy of that book in easons today for €49, but it's the 7th edition, whereas the one on Amazon is the 8th edition. If I am to buy one of them, I assume the 8th edition is the one to get?

And I just finished reading the 7th edition an now obviously 8th is out so I won't be able to do exam will have to read this 8th edition :( were are you starting your course ?

And I just finished reading the 7th edition an now obviously 8th is out so I won't be able to do exam will have to read this 8th edition :( were are you starting your course ?

I'll be doing it in IACT.
    I'm not sure if the exam has changed though. I'm sure you wouldn't have to go and buy the 8th edition. Maybe you could just find the extra information that's included in the 8th instead.

• Advertisement

As far as I know no one is Ireland is doing the 8th edition yet. In fact I don't think it's fully released yet. I'm waiting for it.

So the exams are Are 701 702. So you will be grand with the 7th edition book.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,251 ✭✭✭Elessar

Im pretty sure I read that you will be able to do the 7th edition exams until February 2013.

Got Mike Meyers Passport this week and intend studying as I've two weeks off. Might do the exam week after next. Would the book be enough for a fairly computer literate guy (build my own machines etc) to pass the exams?!

• Registered Users Posts: 406 ✭✭denlaw

doing the a+ in few weeks time , where can i go from here if i pass and what kind of jobs should i be looking at, the tech side really intersts me ..

I'll be doing it in IACT.
    I'm not sure if the exam has changed though. I'm sure you wouldn't have to go and buy the 8th edition. Maybe you could just find the extra information that's included in the 8th instead.

Fair point but book is not that expensive plus I could sell the 7th edition :)

Elessar wrote: »
    Im pretty sure I read that you will be able to do the 7th edition exams until February 2013.

Got Mike Meyers Passport this week and intend studying as I've two weeks off. Might do the exam week after next. Would the book be enough for a fairly computer literate guy (build my own machines etc) to pass the exams?!

Ye it would sure read the whole book then do the exam test on cd that comes with book and you should be good to go :)

oh very good how did you find the exam ?

7th edition is good for the 701 and 702 exams.
    8th edition is good for the 801 and 802 exams.

You can also do a bridging exam. So if your certified 701 and 702 and you can go up to 801 and 802 :)

• Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭IgsTer

Thinking about ordering the 8th edition of this book tommorow along with todd lammies ccna book. Hope to do both exams early next year having studied a bit of both in college. Does anyone know a date for when the 801 and 802 exams will be available to do?

Just a heads up for anyone planning on doing the course in iact......They supply the book to you. It's included in your course fee, so don't go running out to buy the book before you start the course.

• Advertisement

Just a heads up for anyone planning on doing the course in iact......They supply the book to you. It's included in your course fee, so don't go running out to buy the book before you start the course.

The Mike Myers Book? How do you find the course?

Is it the a Deal one your doing? Sounds like the one I thought about doing.

Advertisement