Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How much to build this house in Mayo

Options
  • 28-04-2011 10:10am
    Registered Users Posts: 49

I own my own land in the countryside in south Mayo.

How much would it cost to build a house something like the one in the plan here using a contractor in County Mayo.

That house is 1902 sq ft, 2 Storey, 3 bedrooms.

I know that website gives figures to build the house, but I'm wondering if anyone can give me better idea of current up-to-date prices in County Mayo. Most research I've done online is for Dublin and town areas.

I would not be able to do much of the build myself as I'm working full-time, so I'd have to get a contractor in, so roughly how much would it take to get the house finished, without furnishings.

I'm just looking for a rough idea of current going-rates in the west, not exact figures from start to finish. Any advice appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭JuniorB

€195,267.00

:)

... incl VAT

• Registered Users Posts: 49 Larna

Very precise! Thanks.

Is that based on the average cost of a contractor in Mayo right now?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,300 ✭✭✭martinn123

Yes a very precise cost.I wonder if he used the ''Calculate the Building cost of this house'' tab, on the page you linked to.???

Larna wrote: »
    Very precise! Thanks.

Is that based on the average cost of a contractor in Mayo right now?

That's a figure off the top of my head. Somewhere around €100 per sq ft ... incl VAT. You can add/subtract 15/20% depending on various costs you may or may not have (own well? what type of heating? what type of windows? what level of insulation? what level of air tightness? groundworks?)

• Advertisement

Thanks. Would have to sink a well. Oil heating. Electricity available at site so nothing to be done there. Could probably do some/most groundworks ourselves.

And the rest, no idea yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 948 ✭✭✭THEIRISHMOB

JuniorB wrote: »
    That's a figure off the top of my head. Somewhere around €100 per sq ft ... incl VAT. You can add/subtract 15/20% depending on various costs you may or may not have (own well? what type of heating? what type of windows? what level of insulation? what level of air tightness? groundworks?)

€100 per sq ft?
    thats seriously expensive?

Im starting my own selfbuild in 2 months time. I have no experence in building of any kind, but know all the tradesmen. I am looking at €55 per sq ft.
    to get the house finishesd without any furnishings. I am looking at going to Thailand or China for all the furnishings. I imported furnishings from thailand for 6 years so I know the savings and costs involved.
    I plan to import 90% of the stuff except electrical or certin wooden items such as doors. Kitchens, showers, baths,sinks, marble tiles..massive savings.

I will also blog the whole process daily with all details including costs etc.

I'll post the blog here once I have it finalised.
    still got 2 weeks to wait for planning.

I'll be looking forward to your blog!

I'm left with no idea of what current standard rates are. I'd have thought labour got a lot cheaper but I guess not.

I would have to use a sub-contractor to carry out the job as I work full time, but there's a certain amount I could do myself also but it would be a slower process - not that that matters.

Hopefully I'll get some more replies here as I'm curious as to what people think.

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

€100 per sq ft?
    thats seriously expensive?

Im starting my own selfbuild in 2 months time. I have no experence in building of any kind, but know all the tradesmen. I am looking at €55 per sq ft.
    to get the house finishesd without any furnishings. I am looking at going to Thailand or China for all the furnishings. I imported furnishings from thailand for 6 years so I know the savings and costs involved.
    I plan to import 90% of the stuff except electrical or certin wooden items such as doors. Kitchens, showers, baths,sinks, marble tiles..massive savings.

I will also blog the whole process daily with all details including costs etc.

I'll post the blog here once I have it finalised.
    still got 2 weeks to wait for planning.

I look forward to that blog - I'd like to see the BER for any building for €55/sq ft.

And as for furnishings - that has nothing to do with building costs.

OP - I reckon you could build a B1 house in Mayo for... € 173,183.

Including VAT.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,390 ✭✭✭The Big Red Button

My fiance is a self-employed building contractor in the area. I showed him your link, and his "at-a-glance" price was €175,000; obviously there are many variables involved though (he did tell me the main things that would push the price up or down; I wasn't listening :o )

If you'd like to give him a ring, please PM me and I'll send on his number - he loves his work and I know that he'd be perfectly happy to have a chat with you about it and give you some advice (absolutely no obligation etc required, obviously!!)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭Audioslaven

My fiance is a self-employed building contractor in the area. I showed him your link, and his "at-a-glance" price was €175,000; obviously there are many variables involved though (he did tell me the main things that would push the price up or down; I wasn't listening :o )

If you'd like to give him a ring, please PM me and I'll send on his number - he loves his work and I know that he'd be perfectly happy to have a chat with you about it and give you some advice (absolutely no obligation etc required, obviously!!)

I would say you are pretty much on the ball here. I would expect a good finish for that money with the kitchen in, doors hanging etc. I knocked a house just outside Ballinrobe and put up a house very close to the pic in around 2500 sq ft for the 180 mark but that included a garage as well that cost around 13k. It was all direct labour but alot of donkey work was done by myself and a family member. Now I could have cut back and got the cheapest guys but I went on recommendations rather than price. I am just in 6 months now

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Would you look at self build?
    Back in the peak in 2005/06 we build a 2100sq ft in Mayo for 150k and that was fully finished inside inc furnishings.

Thanks to you all for the advice!

Chatterpillar, please PM me your fiance's number. :)

There are definitely elements we'd be willing to do ourselves, we could do foundations if time permitted, but the only reason I've been ruling out self-build is I'm working full-time 45 hours per week in an environment where I can't be taking or making phonecalls much during the day. One or two, fair enough, but I've seen other co-workers go through the self-build process in the past two years and they ended up having to take a step back from it after a couple of months of endless phonecalls about sourcing materials and different options available to them in the build. I just can't be leaving the office taking calls. Otherwise, I'd definitely be going down that route.

The other factor is I'd like for it to be done as quickly as possible when I do start into it, where I imagine if I take on too much myself, given I'll only be available in evenings/some weekends, things could be slower.

I'd like to live in it as soon as I can, given I'm paying rent all the time in between and that's just dead money.

Thanks yop and Audioslaven for giving me an idea of local build costs.

If anyone can recommend me any good local people in the industry that are available for work, please PM me names and numbers, thanks!

I'm pretty much decided on the build option now, where I was previously considering buying. I just need to figure out the pricing and dive in. Hopefully I don't regret it! :D

I would say you are pretty much on the ball here. I would expect a good finish for that money with the kitchen in, doors hanging etc. I knocked a house just outside Ballinrobe and put up a house very close to the pic in around 2500 sq ft for the 180 mark but that included a garage as well that cost around 13k. It was all direct labour but alot of donkey work was done by myself and a family member. Now I could have cut back and got the cheapest guys but I went on recommendations rather than price. I am just in 6 months now

Would you be able to PM me with a few names and numbers you can recommend?

Thanks

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Dont go for the cheapest option. Wait for the best, it really will make some difference.

If you are going direct build I cam PM some details if you wish. Just PM me and I will fire them onto you.

If you know someone who has done a build previously its very handy to pick their brains to get a flow of the work involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 Chief99

Hi Larna,

Best of luck with the build. I'm in the middle of building a house in the north Galway area, we hope to be in in the next 2/3 months. The cost is roughly going to be €100 per sq ft but that is the house fully finished and with a good bit of furniture.

I know GalwayTT said that furnishings have nothing to do with the build cost and hes right but you'll need some furniture in the house in order to move in so I'm just giving you an idea of the full costs involved.

I'd recommend you research what heating system(including insulation), windows and kitchen you'll be getting as this will have a huge effect on your costings.

Also be careful who you choose to get these items of, as we had our Kitchen and Window companies go bust so pay any deposits with your credit card as you'll be covered if the company goes into liquidation

Chief99 wrote: »
    Hi Larna,

Best of luck with the build. I'm in the middle of building a house in the north Galway area, we hope to be in in the next 2/3 months. The cost is roughly going to be €100 per sq ft but that is the house fully finished and with a good bit of furniture.

I know GalwayTT said that furnishings have nothing to do with the build cost and hes right but you'll need some furniture in the house in order to move in so I'm just giving you an idea of the full costs involved.

I'd recommend you research what heating system(including insulation), windows and kitchen you'll be getting as this will have a huge effect on your costings.

Also be careful who you choose to get these items of, as we had our Kitchen and Window companies go bust so pay any deposits with your credit card as you'll be covered if the company goes into liquidation

Hi Chief, was this a self build? Wonder what cost I'd be looking at if I have to sub-contract the build?

Thanks for your reply.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 Chief99

Hi Larna,

This was a self build. I'm not sure the cost to sub-contract the build as we never really considered it - we knew a few people in the trade and were happy to go the self build route.

Saying that if I were to start again I'd seriously consider sub-contracting it out, the amount of phone calls, chasing people for quotes, time spent looking for materials can be a little overwhelming at times.

Its never too early to start researching what exactly you want in the house. From reading other posters experiences on the site, €100 per sq ft seems on the high side but our windows/kitchen/heating system took up a big chunk of this.

Chief99 wrote: »
    Hi Larna,

This was a self build. I'm not sure the cost to sub-contract the build as we never really considered it - we knew a few people in the trade and were happy to go the self build route.

Saying that if I were to start again I'd seriously consider sub-contracting it out, the amount of phone calls, chasing people for quotes, time spent looking for materials can be a little overwhelming at times.

Its never too early to start researching what exactly you want in the house. From reading other posters experiences on the site, €100 per sq ft seems on the high side but our windows/kitchen/heating system took up a big chunk of this.

Thanks for replying.

My greatest concern is taking endless calls, chasing for quotes, etc - hard if not impossible to do this when working full time in a quiet environment.

I'll have to get some quotes from some sub-contractors though I have no idea where to start on that front.

I'm trying to make lists of people in the various trades for now and I'll start making calls over the next few days, but I need to get onto an architect/engineer first to see if I can build where I want to, and figure out what exactly I'll be allowed to build there; no point getting quotes for kitchens if my planning will be refused straight away.

Any recommendations for people who can help with any of the above, please PM me, I'm taking everyone into account!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,141 Mod ✭✭✭✭bruschi

to be honest Larna, I wouldnt even bother getting quotes if you havent gone in for planning yet. it could be 6-12 months before some of the trades you get prices off would be in action, and the way things are now, prices now wouldnt even last 6 months. keep an eye on names or whatever, but you would need full set of drawings to get prices in any case.

with regards to the time involved, you could hire a project manager part time, there are loads of lads out there who can do all the work with calls and setting trades up on site, and you dont have to be taking calls, because you are dead right on the time involved, there would be lots of calls pretty much every day.

• Advertisement

bruschi wrote: »
    to be honest Larna, I wouldnt even bother getting quotes if you havent gone in for planning yet. it could be 6-12 months before some of the trades you get prices off would be in action, and the way things are now, prices now wouldnt even last 6 months. keep an eye on names or whatever, but you would need full set of drawings to get prices in any case.

with regards to the time involved, you could hire a project manager part time, there are loads of lads out there who can do all the work with calls and setting trades up on site, and you dont have to be taking calls, because you are dead right on the time involved, there would be lots of calls pretty much every day.

Yeah, you're right on getting quotes actually, could easily be this time next year before I can actually start a build. Suppose I'm best focusing on plans first and gathering and keeping names aside for later. I hope to get this rolling as soon as possible but you never know how long the planning stage could go on for.

Project manager sounds like a good idea. Are there people out there who specifically manage projects, or is it a matter of just locating someone who's willing to do the job?

I'm totally clueless on building, so apologies if some of my questions are very basic. :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭PJMCKE

Hi Larna,
    Just finishing my self build home in Mayo. I am coming in at 100 euro/sq ft all right. Direct labour. I started mine at the beginning of 09 and there was still an attidude out there amoungst trades. Towards the end of the build i am finding also more cooperation and competition. It really is starting to hit home. I cannot stress getting a good builder as it will be stress free for you. It is worth the few extra thousand. If you go down the builder route make sure you have as much detail in your quote and if possible hire a qs as the builder will try to recover some of their profits if you are not careful through a poor contract or quotation.
    Building to current standards can add 10-15 percent to the build from builds pre 2008. I built an A2 house so there is an added cost to this (air tightness , insulation, renewables) .Don,t overlook these costs as it could be 20k-30K or more inclusive of heating costs (solar/HRV/oil or wood or geotherma and airtightness)l.
    None the less builders finish in Mayo now should easily be done for 85 euro/sqft mark with a good builder. Direct labour could be done for 55-60 euro.

Advertisement