Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gunsmith required-Munster area

Options
  • 28-04-2011 11:08am
    Registered Users Posts: 22

Hi all,

Lovely thread ye have going ere.

I am having a few problems with my 220 Swift (MK77 Mark 2)
    The barrel doesn't appear to be floating entirely so after a few shots the oul point of impact varies. I am very nervous bout giving my gun to a dealer as everyday Im off shooting I hear horror stories about reifles runied etc n Iv had experience of a shotgun being ruined. I used to go to Gearon in Clonmel but since his son started doing the work.. it's not what it used to be. ;)
    If anyone can reccommend a decent gunsmith in the Munster area I'd be grateful. I live in Thurles and will travel for quality.

Also anyone know where to get decent priced 12g cartridges for clay shooting? 28g max, pref 7's or 71/2's (particularly RC's-love em!)

Thanks in advance:D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭ormondprop

One in Kilmacow
    Fergal white athlone www.irelandcustom rifle.com
    They are the only two qualified riflesmiths in the country and will sort you out,
    Could you not try sand the stock a bit yourself first to get it to float

• Registered Users Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭patsat

http://www.gunstocksireland.com/

Give that fella a call he is in dungarvan in Waterford, you won't be disappointed with his work!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭poulo6.5

the 3 names mentioned above are top class men that know their stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 809 ✭✭✭ejg

Get it bedded and the wood re-sealed while you are at it.
    edi

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 baal

ormondprop wrote: »
    One in Kilmacow
    Fergal white athlone www.irelandcustom rifle.com
    They are the only two qualified riflesmiths in the country and will sort you out,
    Could you not try sand the stock a bit yourself first to get it to float

i think tony curran might have something to say about that
    he is probably the most experienced gunsmith in the country
    i dunno how long he has been at it, but its a bloody long time i know that much

he doesnt work in munster though, so you would have to get the gun sent up to him somehow

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭stick shooter

baal wrote: »
    i think tony curran might have something to say about that
    he is probably the most experienced gunsmith in the country
    i dunno how long he has been at it, but its a bloody long time i know that much

he doesnt work in munster though, so you would have to get the gun sent up to him somehow

Nice first post . Not doubting you but what makes tony curran the most experienced gunsmith in the country . Bare in mind fergal white has produced rifles that has competed at the worlds highest levels . ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 22 bunnibasher

RE: snading it myself; Tis a grand idea but if I messed it up i'd be raging!
    I'd rather get it looked after by a professional to make sure it's even etc.

Will check out the guy in athlone-can pop into Scully's while there too :D

I appreciate the advice guys.

thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭Jonty

Not trying to say you don't know what you're doing, but are you firing shots in rapid succession?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭bunny shooter

If it's the light barrel model anymore than 2-3 shots will seriously heat up the barrel which will cause what you describe in especially in 40/50 grain rounds

LOL.... NO!

No I am not firing off shots in rapid succession, I quite like my gun and therefore allow it to rest between shots.
    :D

Not sure how light the barrel is to be honest, but I do make sure that I allow the gun cooling off time between shots. The variation is a recent thing and the cause does geuinely seem to be that the barrel is no longer free floating at one litle point towards end of stock.

• Advertisement

Cleaning regime? Swift coppers up rapidly eg 15-20 rounds :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

Cleaning regime? Swift coppers up rapidly eg 15-20 rounds :eek:

I know that pain... I get about 25 or so out of the .25 before I'm just not confident. Shot small groups past that, but I think once in a while a round just opens it up to about 1.25" which wouldn't happen if it were cleaner. Anything that fast is going to be tough to keep clean. Actually bunny, any tips on a good copper removal regime? So far it's just been brass brushes, M Pro 7 and elbow grease by the bucket load.

I know that pain... I get about 25 or so out of the .25 before I'm just not confident. Shot small groups past that, but I think once in a while a round just opens it up to about 1.25" which wouldn't happen if it were cleaner. Anything that fast is going to be tough to keep clean. Actually bunny, any tips on a good copper removal regime? So far it's just been brass brushes, M Pro 7 and elbow grease by the bucket load.

Same again Bunny, if you have any tips on removing the coper I'd appreciate it! :D

I clean it after each use, and then after every 15 shots do the M pro 7 on it... and it seemed fine so far. Do you think I should change it?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭dCorbus

+1 on Enda Walsh down in Dungarvan.
    If it's custom work needed to a timber stock he's your man, if it is in fact a free-floating job that would solve your problem!

AFAIK Tony Curran is the in-house gunsmith in Ardee Sports (if that's the gunsmith you mean) and, to the best of my knowledge, he doesn't do custom or bespoke gunsmithing. I may be wrong on that, but any dealings I've had with him have been in his capacity as the Ardee Sports in-house gunsmith and have been carried out on guns still warrenteed by them. True, he does good work - but if you want custom gunsmithing work done, I don't think that's his gig and I'm not sure Ardee Sports provide a custom gunsmithing facility.

+1 on Fergal White too, but I'd say what you're looking for is more a job for a timber stock craftsman, although it'd be no harm having Fergal take a look if the rifle is giving you problems.

On the cleaning regime, try out Forest Foam or Wipe-Out foams - they're both excellent at removing copper.

Going to have to pick up that Forest Foam alright and give it a try. Any rough prices dC?

Haven't seen Forrest Foam in any shops here - so if anyone knows where it can be got in Ireland, let us know!

Usually pick myself up a few cans when over in the UK. Last time (November) I picked up a 500ml can for UK£22. The 500ml can will last you a good number of cleans and if it's a hunting rifle with a "less onerous" cleaning regime, you should get a good few seasons out of the one can.

Cheers dC. If you happen to find yourself over there again any time soon with space in the boot for a spare can, you know where to find me. :)

Just did a search on google - Looks like Lakelands have the 90ml Cans of Forrest Foam for €12 on their website http://www.lakelandshootingcentre.ie/products/product_detail.php?cID=135&mID=4

(It's about UK£8-9 for the same 90ml can in Yorkshire, so that's an OK-ish price if you're stuck, only a mere a 20% price differential:rolleyes:) - But at least, I know now where it can be got this side of the water.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

dCorbus wrote: »
    Haven't seen Forrest Foam in any shops here - so if anyone knows where it can be got in Ireland, let us know!

Jim Griffin has a good few cans in stock. Bought one the other day.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

Thanks Ez.
    Do you know how much they cost?

• Advertisement

As regulars here will know I've had a few Swifts and have been through the scourge of cleaning them, 204 is a doodle compared to it :)

Materials needed:

Good one piece rod, bore guide, Jag, Bronze Phosphor brushes, cotton patches, for carbon removal "Hoppes Powder Solvent" (yellow label) if using Moly bullets use "Kroil" instead of "Hoppes", for copper removal "Butch's Bore Shine", "Tetra Copper Solvent" was good too, "Meths" for neutralising and 'rinsing' barrel.

My own method (for centrefires):

1. few patches soaked with "Hoppes Powder Solvent"/"Kroil" depending on bullets used & let barrel soak for 20-30 mins and then few rubs of bronze brush ......... then patch out till clean

2. few patches soaked with "Butch's Bore Shine" & let barrel soak for 20-30 mins and then few rubs of bronze brush until you reckon all the copper has been removed ............ then patch out till clean

and then repeat 1 & 2 without using brush*

If you're still getting green/blue patches you still have copper, then start from scratch and repeat until you get no copper signs

Often spent 2-3 days getting copper out of my Swift barrel :(

IMVHO M-Pro 7 is good stuff BUT you need a copper cleaner too

*as "Butch's Bore Shine" & "Hoppes Powder Solvent" will dissolve brush ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,057 ✭✭✭clivej

I'm using KG12 copper remover as its the only one that will remove the copper. That's after reading many reports on copper removal.

AND I always put the bronze brush under a running tap to stop any copper remover eating the bore brush away.

clivej wrote: »
    I'm using KG12 copper remover as its the only one that will remove the copper.

Haven't used that stuff but I reckon you're wrong about it being the only one that removes copper :P
    That's after reading many reports on copper removal.

Gave up reading about cleaning stuff and went on my own experiences ;)
    AND I always put the bronze brush under a running tap to stop any copper remover eating the bore brush away.

Oh ya :eek: forgot to add that ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 47 paul1972

ralph neibher in broadford co clare ,, german and very good

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭cork shooter

check first that your problem is in fact with the floating of the barrel .it could be something else like cleaning or a faulty scope . do this with a simple sheet of paper. wrap around barrel and see will it slide up to the action.fire a few shots and repeat same. this will tell you if your stock is at fault.

paul1972 wrote: »

Have you any contact details for him?? Please n tnx

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

Does he do a lot of work on shotguns too? I've a notion floating around in my head of a fella from Clare that does, just wondering if that's him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 baal

Nice first post . Not doubting you but what makes tony curran the most experienced gunsmith in the country . Bare in mind fergal white has produced rifles that has competed at the worlds highest levels . ;)

tony has been working on guns since the 60s, he learned his trade fixing old english guns in garnetts and keegans and he has fixed up probably every gun you could think of
    i know this because he likes to talk about the good old days a lot, hes a bit like the fella in only fools and horses
    any work he has done for me though has been top class, he makes some of the other lads look like amateurs

saying that though, i know nothing about rifles so if you say fergal white is the man, then he probably is

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭Snake_Doctor

johngalway wrote: »
    Does he do a lot of work on shotguns too? I've a notion floating around in my head of a fella from Clare that does, just wondering if that's him.
    He sure does, and very well if I may say so.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭Tackleberry.

+1 very good great work done for me (shotgun) and a friends sako bedding job. 0656835825

also stay clear of the forest foam... copper solvent the only job with a nylon brush

Advertisement