Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Udon Noodles

Options
  • 28-04-2011 11:21am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭

With all the asian foodshops in Galway does anyone know of one that sells fresh udon noodles? Usually these are vacuum-packed partially cooked soft noodles with a soup base. They just require 3 minutes to boil and are ready. I can get them from the big shop in Limerick but have never found them locally.

15010143-chikara-mushroom-udon-noodle-soup-lg.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,711 ✭✭✭Redhairedguy

Christ, that sounds bleedin' delicious.

Let us know if you do come across them.

Have you thought of asking in Asian restaurants where you might be able to source them?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭moonflower

I've never seen those ones, but I'm fairly sure the Asian shop near Java's does plain vacuum packed Udon noodles.

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭MattKid

Tesco

• Registered Users Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭zero19

You can get blue dragon brand udon noodles in tesco, very tasty

• Closed Accounts Posts: 764 ✭✭✭beagle001

you get the proper udon noodles in the asian shop just before cp`s not the one besid java`s although both are good shops.
    Try the miso soup and sweet mangos,really nice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭beardybrewer

Ok, I logged in to tesco.ie and did see Amoy Straight to Wok noodles. I suppose there's nothing stopping me from using them for soup instead. Too bad they don't come with the soup base like the ones I used to get. I couldn't find the Blue Dragon brand ones online, but will have a much closer look next time I go.

I must check out the shops near Java's. I've never looked there before.

PS: Tesco has a good miso soup too and a few other Japanese ingredients.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭moonflower

The straight to wok noodles are lovely in soup, especially the Singapore flavour. They're fairly expensive though.
    Don't dismiss the regular egg noodles either if it's for soup. I used some medium egg noodles from Aldi last night to make Thai Chicken Noodle soup because they were the only noodles in the press. They weren't great last night but after leaving them in the soup overnight they've swelled up and gone all lovely and soft.

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭Damie

I get them in the health food stores

• Registered Users Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭beardybrewer

Looked in Dunnes/Joyces and did find Blue Dragon straight to wok noodles. I picked a couple up but they are expensive and, quite simply, they aren't japanese udon soup noodles.

However, good tip on the asian shop on market street. I did find udon noodles there so finally have a local supply.

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭bildo

2 asian shops opposite CPs, the one opposite the pizza place looks good, good selection of noodles. The woman there mistook me for a chef the other day :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement