Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Premonitions- Do you have them and how do you cope?

Options
  • 28-04-2011 11:26am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭

I have a friend that has had waking and dreaming premonitions, many of which have come true. Pretty much happening since they were a kid. They also have "bad feelings" that often result in finding out some bad news. This happens quite a lot and is worrying my mate. My friend is also VERY sceptical and worries that this is more of a mental health issue. I just don't know..

Do any of you have premonitions and if so, how do you manage them? Can you use them constructively or block them out?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

Id say you friend should go to a doctor. It is more likely that it is a mental health issue rather than and paranormal one.

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭HeisenbergBB

Sure "a friend"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭MrMojoRisin

Riamfada wrote: »
    Id say you friend should go to a doctor. It is more likely that it is a mental health issue rather than and paranormal one.
    Sure "a friend"

Ah come on now, don't be so bloody harsh.

Riamfada, how are you in any position to come to a decisive conclusion on the mental health of someone you've never even met? :confused:

At the end of the day, the person's experiences are real and valid to them, and the OP doesn't come across as a plank at all.

There's an interesting post about the validity/invalidity (take your pick) of people's premonitions of the Aberfan mining disaster in 1966 here: http://tychy.wordpress.com/2011/02/22/on-richard-wisemans-can-dreams-predict-the-future/

The American singer Little Richard had a cool (or disturbing) premonition of his plane crashing in 1957:

In early October 1957, on the fifth date of a two-week tour of Australia, Penniman (Little Richard) was flying from Melbourne to appear in front of 40,000 fans in concert in Sydney. Shocked by the red hot appearance of the engines against the night sky, he envisioned angels holding up the plane.

Then, while he performed at the stadium, he was shaken by the sight of a ball of fire that he watched streak across the sky overhead. He took what was actually the launching of Sputnik 1, the first human-made object to orbit the earth, as another sign to quit show business and follow God.

The following day he departed Sydney on a ferry and threw his $8,000 ring in the water to show his band members that he was serious about quitting.

The plane that he was originally scheduled to fly back home on ended up crashing in the Pacific Ocean, which he took as confirmation that he was doing what God wanted him to do.

Whatever about all the God stuff and him interpreting events as 'signs', it is interesting all the same.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭ElleEm

I had wondered this myself but when you are with someone and they "sense" something bad has happened, then it does, you start to wonder is it something else. Thanks for the response though.
    Sure "a friend"

Yes, it is a friend of mine. I'd be quick enough to say if it was me considering this is an anonymous online forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭Ruth KPS

I don't think anyone should be so quick to judge the OP's friend.

I personally get them aswell.. I get them every few months.

I had a dream my friend was going to be killed in a car accident and she was 3 days later in the same place it happened in my dream.

I also dreamt of a woman's body being found in the boot of a car.. a week later a woman's body was found in the boot of a car in Dublin.

I have several occasions where I dream of something which happens.

As for coping OP you just do.. their not nice when they happen but there's not much you can do :(

• Advertisement

Personally I dont belive in premonitions or predestination. I believe that people believe they can see the future rather than having the ability to see it. I knew a guy that believed he was living in a virtual world and that the rest of us were programmed computer images. By god did he believe it, Im pretty sure Im not a computer programmed image but he believed his perception. Thats the effect of mental dissorders. Also I have loads of dreams. Random collections of images. Sometimes my dreams come true and most of the time they dont.

also everytime I get into a plane I think Im going to die. Actually Im pretty convinced Im going to die. So much so that I avoid flying if at all possible. (I used to love planes, then I learned how they work, the physics behind it and now I shit myself getting on a plane.) So far I havnt died but if I do and I am already convinced I was going to die because thats what I say everyime I get on a plane does that make it a psychic event even though the previous 99 times I didnt die?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 827 ✭✭✭Wolflikeme

also everytime I get into a plane I think Im going to die. Actually Im pretty convinced Im going to die. So much so that I avoid flying if at all possible. (I used to love planes, then I learned how they work, the physics behind it and now I shit myself getting on a plane.) So far I havnt died but if I do and I am already convinced I was going to die because thats what I say everyime I get on a plane does that make it a psychic event even though the previous 99 times I didnt die?

:pac:

NO! It makes you think like everyone else who's afraid of flying or was at some stage. Like me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,724 ✭✭✭tallaghtmick

I knew a guy that believed he was living in a virtual world and that the rest of us were programmed computer images. By god did he believe it, Im pretty sure Im not a computer programmed image but he believed his perception.

was this pre or post matrix,apparently a lot of people believed they where in a matrix style world after they where released.

I myself had a dream about extended life through genetic manipulation,a few months later i seen a article about how scientists have extended the life of old mice through genetics,ive had a few other dreams since then none disturbing but then again i do have a active imagination and can conjure up a lot lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭Ruth KPS

Thats the effect of mental dissorders. Also I have loads of dreams. Random collections of images. Sometimes my dreams come true and most of the time they dont.

I'm pretty sure i don't have a mental disorder.. that we know of :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,354 ✭✭✭Urizen

I'm on the fence about the whole thing. Sure I think I get them half the time, but often about mundane stuff like 'I've just missed the bus' (bus then passes) or 'Bus'll be here in a second' (bus arrives 4 seconds later). I get a lot of buses. This could well be coincidence.

On the other hand, there was that period of a year or so I actively tried to train my subconscious to be more sensitive. I had an uncanny ability to predict which Simpsons episode would be on that evening without prior knowledge.

So my answer is that maybe I get em, maybe I don't. But if I do, it ain't exactly life changing stuff.

And in relation to dreams, a surprising amount are recurring, brought on by repeating circumstances. You're bound to have them come true eventually.

But yeah. It'll only be a problem once they decide to start fighting crime or become Nick Cage.

Sometimes Id be singing a song I havnt heard in years and then the same day it will come on the radio. Que "Im ****ing psychic meme" but I think there is actually a name for that. Id google it but most of you already know what Im going to link to. Or did you know I wasnt going to link to it.The question is would I have linked to it if I knew you already knew what I was going to link to.

Mindphuck!

Que "Im ****ing psychic meme" but I think there is actually a name for that.

There is, it's some form of subconscious adaptability reflex. Can't remember the name, but it was in a Cracked article at some point.

Urizen wrote: »
    There is, it's some form of subconscious adaptability reflex. Can't remember the name, but it was in a Cracked article at some point.

Christ we are lazy. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,986 ✭✭✭Red Hand

I've heard of it too. It also applies to deja vu...it is a sort of temporal mix-up in the brain where the brain will interpret something you have just experienced as something that also occurred in the past as you are experiencing it.

Still too lazy to google it, though...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭irish_stevo815

I've often got a strange feeling when something happens that i have dreamt the exact same thing previously. It kinda feels like de-ja-vu, but a bit more surreal.

It's like, something will happen, then its like my subconcious opens up to me tellin me that i have dreamed this exact thing. It freaks me out sometimes, especially when it is something bad or tragic

That's exactly what I'm talking about. Your brain gets confused, tries to backtrack to save face and then, essentially, we get the mental equivalent of 'Oh yeah, but dude, you totally knew that was gonna happen, remember?'

That's exactly what I'm talking about. Your brain gets confused, tries to backtrack to save face and then, essentially, we get the mental equivalent of 'Oh yeah, but dude, you totally knew that was gonna happen, remember?'

It sounds like you're talking about some kind of a varient of hindsight bias?

It sounds like you're talking about some kind of a varient of hindsight bias?

Exactly. Sure I knew that all along :P

I knew someone was going to post that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭Faolchu

dont know if its a premonition but anyway

as a teenager my uncle was living with us, he dying of cancer. he had been with is for months. i had a part time job and every weekend i'd head off to work on friday evening. One evening i was leaving early to go to a friends house as i was walking out the door i stopped got a pen and paper and gave my mother the phone numbers of everywhere i'd be (back before mobile phones). my uncle died 4 hours later.

few years after that my father went to the hosiptal for a review after a biopsy I knew he was going to the hospital but i had no idea why, i was just told it was a checkup on ulcers he had remove a few years ago. the phone in my office rang, my bioss annswered and i knew as that phone rang that it was my brother and he was calling me to tell me my father had terminal cancer. a few months later, the doctor from the hospice had just visited to look in on my father and said it he had a few more weeks, the figured 3-4 weeks, he said that they'd contact us the next day to arrange taking him in to the hospice to better care for him(it was a sunday afternoon). my brothers decided to get out of the house to by a paper/clear their heads. they asked me to tag along, I put my coat on then took it off and said Nah I'll stay here with mother in case she needs anything. less than 20 minutes later my father died in my arms.

not sure if its a premonition or just intuition. how do i deal with it? well in the case of my uncle i never though much about it, as for my father i take comfort in the fact that i was there when my mother needed me otherwise she would have been alone in the house with him. just minutes before he died he gave me a cross he had on his next, 12 years later i think i've taken it off maybe 10 times, in all cases only for safety reasons.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭boogeyman

I've had a couple of strange things happen to me over the years, I prefer to call them coincidences rather than premonitions (due to the fact that they've kinda freaked me out)

One of them was about a friend of mine who owned a motorbike. One evening I was thinking about him and was saying at home that I wished he was more careful on it, cos he was getting a little older and had settled down, had kids etc.

This guy had a big family and all had bikes. As I was chatting to my family about it I said that I hope nothing ever happens to him and if there ever was a crash that he would be ok.

The next day his brother passed away in a bike accident. Terribly sad and I feel dreadful about it. Not that I caused it or anything (I'm not that mad) but because I had those thought in my mind and sadly it came through.

As you can imagine it really freaked me out.

Faolchu wrote: »
    dont know if its a premonition but anyway

as a teenager my uncle was living with us, he dying of cancer. he had been with is for months. i had a part time job and every weekend i'd head off to work on friday evening. One evening i was leaving early to go to a friends house as i was walking out the door i stopped got a pen and paper and gave my mother the phone numbers of everywhere i'd be (back before mobile phones). my uncle died 4 hours later.

few years after that my father went to the hosiptal for a review after a biopsy I knew he was going to the hospital but i had no idea why, i was just told it was a checkup on ulcers he had remove a few years ago. the phone in my office rang, my bioss annswered and i knew as that phone rang that it was my brother and he was calling me to tell me my father had terminal cancer. a few months later, the doctor from the hospice had just visited to look in on my father and said it he had a few more weeks, the figured 3-4 weeks, he said that they'd contact us the next day to arrange taking him in to the hospice to better care for him(it was a sunday afternoon). my brothers decided to get out of the house to by a paper/clear their heads. they asked me to tag along, I put my coat on then took it off and said Nah I'll stay here with mother in case she needs anything. less than 20 minutes later my father died in my arms.

not sure if its a premonition or just intuition. how do i deal with it? well in the case of my uncle i never though much about it, as for my father i take comfort in the fact that i was there when my mother needed me otherwise she would have been alone in the house with him. just minutes before he died he gave me a cross he had on his next, 12 years later i think i've taken it off maybe 10 times, in all cases only for safety reasons.

I'll be honest with you, that is certainly just weird timing.

The first one is just your memory messing with you. I doubt that was the only time you ever gave your mother some kind of contact number, it's just been focused on more by your mind.

The second one is probably that thing we all do of expecting the worst. Just happened to be a bit specific.

The last one is, again, just coincidence. You say yourself that you stayed in case your mother needed anything. That said, it's nice that you were there when your dad died, at least.

There's no need to 'deal' with this. Nothing supernatural about it. Don't worry.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭Faolchu

The first one is just your memory messing with you. I doubt that was the only time you ever gave your mother some kind of contact number, it's just been focused on more by your mind..
    no was the only time i gave her the number. most fridays i would just head out the door about 4PM and come back in the next morninging from work. Some days my weeks my shift would start at 6PM, others 11PM. regardless i never gave her a number, that week i was due to start work at about 10PM, i was heading up to a friends house before hand and though i knew she already had his number i wrote it down on a piece of paper and handed it to her along with the number for where i worked, I told her i'd be with my friend til at least 830 I even told her the name of the shift manager that was due to be working because the company had a habit during busy periods to just take messages, or say you couldnt come to the phone, but if the store manager was called he usually let you take the call
    The second one is probably that thing we all do of expecting the worst. Just happened to be a bit specific..
    possibly but similiar things have happened, like touching a plain envelope that was posted to me and knowing exactly what teh letter was going to say. watching TV shows and knowing what's going to happen next or what people will say next, though this may just be intuition

The last one is, again, just coincidence. You say yourself that you stayed in case your mother needed anything. That said, it's nice that you were there when your dad died, at least..
    very possible, but no one expected him to die that day, we all expected him to last a week or two, it was a sunday and he was up and about on the firday, granted he needed assistance walking up the stairs but he could hold short conversations before becoming tired. what i do know is i made him a promise in those last few seconds and to this day, 12 - 13 years later i havent broken it

There's no need to 'deal' with this. Nothing supernatural about it. Don't worry.
    I dont feel there is anything to deal with, when it happens i just think "that was strange" and move on, i dont dwell on it and i'm not buying myeself any red tights and a cape :D

Advertisement