Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How easy to get compensated in one subject?

Options
  • 28-04-2011 11:40am
    Registered Users Posts: 6

I've done really bad in one subject.. And it's almost certain that i wont pass it.. However, I've done pretty well in all the rest.. How easy will it be for me to get compensated...? :/:confused:

** How easy is it

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,098 ✭✭✭Rosita

As always it depends on the nature of marking for the course involved.

Some course do not not allow compensation. Other allow compensation for certain aspects only.

And much will depend on how badly you fail. If you are under 30% I'd say you won't hardly be allowed compensation.

The programme office for your course should be able to confirm the exact arrangements for assessment.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Oo92

Thank you. If I do fail the module is there any other options apart from semester x? Is it possible to just do extra credits in semester two? :confused: It isn't my core module..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,098 ✭✭✭Rosita

Oo92 wrote: »
    Thank you. If I do fail the module is there any other options apart from semester x? Is it possible to just do extra credits in semester two? :confused: It isn't my core module..

I have no idea to tell you the truth. But again it appears to me that it depends on the module (frustrating answer I know!) as different norms seem to apply to different modules.

Have a click on this and look for the module in whatever area it is. If you drill down through the courses/modules it gives this sort of information. That said, from my brief look at it, the language they use does not exactly always make it crystal clear but hopefully it will give you an indication of what happens.

http://www.ucd.ie/students/course_search.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭WeeBushy

If you get an E (i.e. 30 - 40%) you can compensate it if your overall GPA is 2 or higher, and you pass 75% of the modules from that stage (usually 9). That is of course if compensation is offered in that module, it is for most (exceptions being some core modules etc.). Check the module descriptor if you are not sure.

If you outright fail (or indeed get an E in) the module, then you can either repeat/resit it next semester along with next semesters modules, or it can be substituted, as long as it is an elective or option module. Core modules generally cannot be substituted. It is expensive to subtitute a module, however so keep that in mind. Fees for substituting a module can be found here:

http://www.ucd.ie/registry/adminservices/fees/fees_registration.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 888 ✭✭✭quicklickpaddy

This confused me last year too.

Really, really simply put - as long as you're not failing everything and you got at least 30% you can compensate.

If you got less than 30% you can't compensate so that means you have to redo it. That means your options are to sit the exam again or (considering it's not a core module) you can substitute. My advice would be to substitute because if you resit the exam you will be capped at a D- but you can still get as high as possible with a substitute - and it's only something like 30e more expensive

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭parker kent

Below is the full description of compensation as given in the UCD Academic Regulations.

I think everybody should bookmark the academic regulations as they answer most questions.
    COMPENSATION: Compensation will apply within all stages of UCD undergraduate and graduate taught programmes.

5.7.1 The decisions of the Programme Examination Board with regard to compensation will be based on the students’ overall performance as expressed by their grade point average (GPA) for the attempt at the stage, or, if the programme is completed in one stage, their attempt at the programme. This is referred to as the compensation GPA. The compensation GPA is the weighted average of the grade points awarded for all modules from the approved programme of study for that stage or programme which have been taken during that attempt at the stage, or that attempt at the programme, where the grade point for each module is weighted by the credit value of the module.

5.7.2 Where a student has completed an attempt at a stage and has obtained passing grades (including an I grade) in modules accounting for 75% or more of the total credit required to successfully complete the stage, and the compensation GPA for the attempt at the stage is 2.00 or greater, E grades are considered passed by compensation, and a final grade of PC is awarded. The grade of PC carries a grade point of 1.6.

5.7.3 A module can be designated as not passable by compensation, upon recommendation of the Programme Board and subject to the approval of the relevant University Programme Board. There should be sound educational reasons or verified accreditation requirements for such designation.

5.7.4 When pre-requisites are specified, a pass by compensation will be acceptable, so that the minimum grade to satisfy the requirement is PC.
    http://www.ucd.ie/registry/academicsecretariat/academic_regs.pdf

If you check your module descriptor, it will tell you what happens in terms of remediation, substitution, compensation etc.

This confused me last year too.

Really, really simply put - as long as you're not failing everything and you got at least 30% you can compensate.

If you got less than 30% you can't compensate so that means you have to redo it. That means your options are to sit the exam again or (considering it's not a core module) you can substitute. My advice would be to substitute because if you resit the exam you will be capped at a D- but you can still get as high as possible with a substitute - and it's only something like 30e more expensive

Not so, its at least €100 more to substitute.

Check out this from this thread http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056254243

Shameless plug of my shiny new thread :)

If only UCD had put all this information on their website. Oh yeah...:pac:

If only UCD had put all this information on their website. Oh yeah...:pac:

I agree, but some people are incapable of finding it, or still prefer to use boards. And I have exams coming up therefore needed to do something instead of studying :pac:

WeeBushy wrote: »
    I agree, but some people are incapable of finding it, or still prefer to use boards. And I have exams coming up therefore needed to do something instead of studying :pac:

Your idea is good, but people will still post threads asking questions that your thread answers. If your thread helps even one person, it is worthwhile. Just a general lament at the helplessness of some people!

I lost tolerance of student idiocy working in UCD :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 888 ✭✭✭quicklickpaddy

WeeBushy wrote: »
    Not so, its at least €100 more to substitute.

Check out www.ucd.ie/registry/adminservices/fees/fees_registration.htm from this thread http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056254243

Shameless plug of my shiny new thread :)

I think you got your embedding backwards there! :pac:

Well that means I've either made a costly mistake or I've somehow gotten away with not paying for it? Here's hoping for option 2 anyways!

If it's any validation for your thread I facking hate using the UCD website. It's just awkward.

If it's any validation for your thread I facking hate using the UCD website. It's just awkward.

99 times out of a hundred, if you have an issue with UCD, just Google it and the first result brings the relevant page from the UCD website. It's far quicker than starting at ucd.ie and finding it.

Advertisement