Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Harry Potter and The Deathly Hallows Part 2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,202 ✭✭✭maximoose

What the hell is this Harry and Voldemort falling out of the building crap? Why are they changing their final battle?!

I'm looking forward to this film, but based on the first trailer and now this.. It looks like they're changing too much about the final showdown for my liking.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Ugh, looks like they've added loads of stuff to the battle, as if it wasn't long enough in the book. And what's with Voldemort screaming all the time? He must do it about 6 or 7 times in the trailer.

Still, looks good.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,180 ✭✭✭tomissex

And what's with Voldemort screaming all the time? He must do it about 6 or 7 times in the trailer.

I was wondering that as well! It sounds like the same scream a few times so hopfully they've just put it into the trailer a few (too many) times for effect.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,442 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Distorted music box theme music at the start is nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭MrSir

Might be weird to say but I will see this for Rupert Grint. Wasn't much of a fan of Part I but I loved his performance and was seriously surprised at how good an actor he has become.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭Mindkiller

Yeah, Voldemort is a little bitch in that trailer.

I actually hope they embelish the **** out of the final battle though. I don't actually remember there even being one in the book for some reason

• Closed Accounts Posts: 856 ✭✭✭Carl Sagan

How have the last few films been? I've only watched the first 3 and enjoyed them and love all the books. I've been thinking about buying the dvds but heard the last few films weren't very good.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

They were okay. Far better than first two, which I thought were rubbish, but not as good as the third, which I still think is probably the best. Despite what some people say, they are actually too close to the books imo. A good adaptation shouldn't be afraid to throw out the source material if it means making a better film.

I really liked Part 1 of Deathly Hallows though. But I'm not optimistic about Part 2, which I suspect is just going to be a CGI-fest. And tbh I've seen enough CGI battle scenes to last a lifetime. I also think Rowling's ending/epilogue will play very badly on screen.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,442 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Are they keeping the epilogue? Book was fine until that piece of crap :(

Prisoner of Askaban is possibly the only one to feel like a film as opposed to a visualisation of the novel. But I think David Yates' pretty intensely grim style has added a lot to the last two films, even if it was impossible to avoid all that narrative procrastination.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,099 ✭✭✭the whole year inn

Seen the last three in the cinema,so will give this a go.Ill like all the movies easy watch.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭MsJenjers

I'm a devoted Harry Potter fan so I'm dying to see this! Looks very dramatic!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭Mindkiller

In case anyone was curious just how many 'NYEEAAHH's were in the trailer

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭kickarykee

Very looking forward to this - even if I didn't like the ending of the book too much (it got better the second time I read it, but it's still not what I had hoped for ;) )

Anyways, I'm still happy that all the actors (except for Richar Harris, of course) stayed through all the 8 films.
    I remember being worried about the kids being re-cast when part 1 was released, haha.
    Such a long time... insane.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,268 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Mindkiller wrote: »
    In case anyone was curious just how many 'NYEEAAHH's were in the trailer

Not one Wilhelm scream in sight either.

Hope they ditch the epilogue too, it was pants.

The epilogue was definitely shot. Twice, I believe. They had to go back and reshoot it. They are using CGI and prosthetics.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,117 ✭✭✭talla10

maximoose wrote: »
    What the hell is this Harry and Voldemort falling out of the building crap? Why are they changing their final battle?!

I'm looking forward to this film, but based on the first trailer and now this.. It looks like they're changing too much about the final showdown for my liking.

Exactly my thoughts. I loved all the books and ive enjoyed every film. As you say i hope they dont change too much from the final battle looks sabage though

The epilogue was definitely shot. Twice, I believe. They had to go back and reshoot it. They are using CGI and prosthetics.

*bangs head*

I dread witnessing their attempt. It was naff on page, imagine the awfulness on screen!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,204 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

*bangs head*

I dread witnessing their attempt. It was naff on page, imagine the awfulness on screen!
    I don't know, it gave a bit of closure I thought, we'd always be expecting a follow up if it finished up without that ending and she would have been tempted herself to do one, a chapter that doesn't live up to expectations is better than a whole other book that would focus on it.

after the travesty that was the 6th movie I was reasonably impressed with the first part of DH but if they change many of the key scenes again towards the end (one of the big problems with 6 imo) then I can see it crashing and burning.

I think I'll lose a lot of faith in film making if they don't give the
    death and Dumbledore
    scene a proper amount of time

• Registered Users Posts: 6,568 ✭✭✭candy-gal1

Cant wait for this! :)
    Anyone know when its coming out? I know its possibly this summer, but anyone know when?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,718 ✭✭✭The Mad Hatter

Carl Sagan wrote: »
    How have the last few films been? I've only watched the first 3 and enjoyed them and love all the books. I've been thinking about buying the dvds but heard the last few films weren't very good.

The fourth was awful - as Oscar Wilde once said of Wagner, "some wonderful moments, but some terrible half-hours."

Since David Yates took over, they've been consistently good - more coherent to those who haven't read the books than the first two and fourth were. He's stayed more faithful to the source material than I'd feel is strictly necessary, but I think at this stage the films are really films just for people who are already fans of the series, and as such fidelity is ok.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,180 ✭✭✭tomissex

candy-gal1 wrote: »
    Cant wait for this! :)
    Anyone know when its coming out? I know its possibly this summer, but anyone know when?

July 15th :)

Liam O wrote: »
    I don't know, it gave a bit of closure I thought, we'd always be expecting a follow up if it finished up without that ending and she would have been tempted herself to do one, a chapter that doesn't live up to expectations is better than a whole other book that would focus on it.

It was more the delivery than the intention that frustrated about the epilogue. It was poorly written, trying to cram in as much name-checking and happy endings as they could. Trying to convert that to screen is going to be a curious sight:
    "Come here Albus and Severus! Listen to your mother Ginny!"
    :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭kickarykee

*bangs head*

I liked it in the book, I just hope the CGI looks anywhere near as good as the "making younger" CGI of Jeff Bridges in Tron.
    If they manage to do that, great :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,390 ✭✭✭Doublechinlolz

kickarykee wrote: »
    I liked it in the book, I just hope the CGI looks anywhere near as good as the "making younger" CGI of Jeff Bridges in Tron.
    If they manage to do that, great :)

Appearantly they're using it to the same effect as the producerers did with 'Benjamin Button'.. Also, Emma Watson cut her hair, but they had to re shoot the final scene so it was a bit of trouble for them.. :L

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,491 ✭✭✭Yahew

I havent read the book but obviously three petulant teenagers of moderate spell-casting abilities are not going to take on the totalitarian might of the Death Eater state, and they made very little headway in the first part of the end movie. I think they are f*cked.

Anything else would be unrealistic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,491 ✭✭✭Yahew

That said, I doubted the short ass guy with the ring in the last fantasy movie I saw, and he came good at the end. Maybe rules are different for fantasy.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,268 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

I wouldn't mind a more open ending. I always thought it would be great to have a series of darker more adult orientated books or comics about an older more grizzled Harry where he's become a hard-boiled Auror hunting down dark wizards and the like. Dirty Harry Potter. Seriously!

This is slightly off-topic, but I chuckled. Article in the Independent today about how Emma Watson took time off university to focus on her acting career. However there are rumors she was being bullied: everytime she answered a question right in class, people would yell "Three points for Gryffindor!"

• Registered Users Posts: 19,204 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

This is slightly off-topic, but I chuckled. Article in the Independent today about how Emma Watson took time off university to focus on her acting career. However there are rumors she was being bullied: everytime she answered a question right in class, people would yell "Three points for Gryffindor!"
    I heard that was Bonnie Wright (Ginny) and she stormed out of class one time after a guy did it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭Ri_Nollaig

If that is true; I don't think its very funny.
    Famous/Rich or not, its still bullying and she probably doesn't deserve it. You would expect better at a university...

Just checked and she was going to Brown, you could be paying 50k+ a year there and people could be continuously doing this kinda crap?

Advertisement