Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Harry Potter and The Deathly Hallows Part 2

Comments

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,333 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Maybe they shouldn't take themselves so seriously, if you chose a career where you'll be in the public eye you have to be able to take that kind of thing.

Anyways, stoked for the movie and that!!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,582 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

If it was persistent, then yes clearly it would have been far less funny than the first time. And one should certainly expect better from Brown. But it is just a rumour, denied by Watson, so forgive me of I thought it was an amusing news story. Not undermining the seriousness of bullying for a second!

Anyway, apologies for taking the thread slightly off topic!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,180 ✭✭✭tomissex

Second Part 2 Trailer released

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Mickeroo wrote: »
    I wouldn't mind a more open ending. I always thought it would be great to have a series of darker more adult orientated books or comics about an older more grizzled Harry where he's become a hard-boiled Auror hunting down dark wizards and the like. Dirty Harry Potter. Seriously!

While the darker turn of the later books and movies broadens the appeal to an older audience. It alienates the younger audience who can't watch them. I'm not sure if the world and the characters are complex enough support the darker/deeper storyline.

I really liked Harry Potter overall. But its mainly the world it creates I like. The books are not that well written, and the story has holes all through it, characters are fairly poor. The movies suffer accordingly. They are not helped by poor acting especially from the main character. I don't think Harry is particularly great character in the books either. The other characters are much better, and think that's true of the films aswell.

A more gritty spin off would be a great idea.

Still I enjoy them all, despite their flaws.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,369 ✭✭✭LostBoy101

I really enjoy the films and they are an easy watch so hopefully the last part is good for a closing end.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭madrab

glad to see the new trailer is still rocking the Voldimort "nyeahhhhh"

• Registered Users Posts: 19,277 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

While I didn't mind part 1 from a book-movie standpoint as I had the previous movies this looks like it's going to annoy the hell out of me. Not even leaving things out, just changing them. That shot in the trailer of him pulling down Voldemort annoyed me the first time I seen it and it still does now...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,491 ✭✭✭Yahew

Movies which follow books exactly are always crap. The first part of this was deathly dull. Meanwhile POA was great.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,333 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

BostonB wrote: »
    While the darker turn of the later books and movies broadens the appeal to an older audience. It alienates the younger audience who can't watch them. I'm not sure if the world and the characters are complex enough support the darker/deeper storyline.

I really liked Harry Potter overall. But its mainly the world it creates I like. The books are not that well written, and the story has holes all through it, characters are fairly poor. The movies suffer accordingly. They are not helped by poor acting especially from the main character. I don't think Harry is particularly great character in the books either. The other characters are much better, and think that's true of the films aswell.

A more gritty spin off would be a great idea.

Still I enjoy them all, despite their flaws.

I don't 100% agree with what you're saying there but I will admit the adult characters (eg Mad Eye Moody, Sirius Black) are way more interesting than any of the kids imo.

I think the darkening tone of the books works though because as they were being released the kids reading them from the start were getting older just like the charcters in the books, same is true of the films, as the audience got more mature so did the books and the movies.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

tomissex wrote: »

Second Part 2 Trailer released

The trailer looks class. Tbh, it's hard to see how they could muck up the second installement

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

I quite enjoyed Part 1, but the trailers for Part 2 aren't really doing anything for me. Unless the reviews are particularly good, I don't think I'll bother going to see it in the cinema. I was excited to see the second half of this film 6 months ago. Now I don't really care.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,138 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Yahew wrote: »
    I havent read the book but obviously three petulant teenagers of moderate spell-casting abilities are not going to take on the totalitarian might of the Death Eater state, and they made very little headway in the first part of the end movie. I think they are f*cked.

Anything else would be unrealistic.

Oh how i would love to be you and not know what happens, to experience it for the first time again.... *sigh*

I'm so looking forward to this, i loved all the films, while nowhere near as good as the books, they were still enjoyable. I don't read books either, but I've read the series 4 times, and they get better every time. As i said above, i wish i could go back and experience them all over again. As for the film, i know that they've probably changed the ending, but i'm still weak with excitement.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,565 ✭✭✭losthorizon

Thank God The Harry Potter Series is over. I could never see the attractiveness of it. Whats even worse is that leading up to the final instalment my local cinema is showing all the original Potter films again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,138 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Thank God The Harry Potter Series is over. I could never see the attractiveness of it. Whats even worse is that leading up to the final instalment my local cinema is showing all the original Potter films again.

Really?!?! Why aren't they doing that all over? They would get tonnes of money from me!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

I've avoided trailers (though that'll be harder once they start airing on the box) but I'm quite looking forward to it. I've never been mad about the films really, but they have their charm; and I think Yates' films have gotten progressively stronger. I really enjoyed DH: Part 1, I think they nailed the pacing of the book.

Unfortunately
    I think they were always going to do the epilogue, I hope it's not as cringey on screen as it reads. Or, failing that, I hope that it doesn't appear as abruptly as it does in the book; that was far too much of an emotional change of pace, with no real immediate aftermath of the battle.

• Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭Vivara

When will the prebooking of Part 2 be available? Even an estimate as to when tickets are normally would be released is fine; especially for the Omniplex network, particularly Cork.

Thanks a million.

Ed.

• Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭Vivara

So, no-one knows?!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 308 ✭✭PunkFreud

I remember booking movie tickets two weeks in advance before (though not in the Omniplex). Just ring them and ask can you book some tickets, even better, go in and ask them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,091 ✭✭✭Antar Bolaeisk

They're on sale as soon as the cinema puts them on sale so the only people who can answer your question are the staff of the cinema where you want to see it.

Most places would be reluctant to put tickets on sale too far in advance because of ambiguity with lengths and such but with Harry Potter it's a midnight showing so length doesn't really matter for that specific show.

The local one here has them on sale for the last week or so, for part 1 and part 2.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,977 ✭✭✭Soby

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭Corkfeen

Soby wrote: »

I tried to make a message for my friend "Dick" and it told me to refrain from using profanity. He's gonna be annoyed. :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 2 tcdscience

Anyone know what time Deathly Hallows will be on at in Screen 17 in Cineworld Dublin next Friday?:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭madrab

anywhere showing harry potter on thursday night?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Quint's lukewarm review of the film in which he complains about the lack of battle scenes may have just convinced me to go see this film.

Quint's lukewarm review of the film in which he complains about the lack of battle scenes may have just convinced me to go see this film.

Just after reading that, it's kind of damaged my expectations a little bit, although no mention of that epilogue so heres hoping....

EDIT: Just looking at RT there, its at 96% after 57 reviews, well on its way to being the best reviewed instalment of all I think?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,582 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Lack of battle scenes? That's actually kind of promising - was just expecting Harry Potter and the Endless Battle Sequence :pac:

Keep forgetting this is creeping out already!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

Even without having seen the film yet, I cannot agree with Quint's review.

I understand film is a different medium and adaptations need to work as movies in their own right, but the books have the exact same 'issue' he has a problem with.

Maybe my opinion will change after seeing it, but if that's the biggest criticism of the film, then count me even more excited.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

I have to agree with Quint's review. Not the specific complaint about the lack of battle scenes, just the overall sentiment. The film is hugely underwhelming and doesn't send the series off in the fashion it deserves.

The good:
    Snape's farewell. The memories were done well, thankfully, and this was the only thing about the film that packed the same emotional punch as the book.

The bad:
    Some frustrating changes (I know, I tried to keep the nitpicky bastard inside under wraps) the biggest being the lazy fate of the elder wand; the fight between Voldemort and Harry was ropey (I understand it had to be sexed up, but the falling from the building sequence was awful); the epilogue was easily more cringeworthy in the adaptation than it was in the book (all the actors look the same, especially Watson); among a few other grumbles here and there.

I really enjoyed Part 1; it's probably my favourite of the series. I echo the review posted above in saying that I felt its quality justified the split. But I can't help but feel that they let the series go out in an underwhelming manner that doesn't do justice in the least to its source material.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 lawra

Just saw it. Quality!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 682 ✭✭✭Phony Scott

The journey has been a fascinating one, an experiment in filmmaking that has never been attempted at this level, much less been as creatively and financially successful and for that I’ll always be humbled by this series, book nerd nit-picks and minor grumbles aside.

What kills me about AICN is that they come out with statements like this, with no context. I could just as easily say the exact same statement about the Saw franchise, without actually giving a reason why. If you're going to make a statement like that, back it up.

Advertisement