Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fastgrowing verygreen climbing plant recommendations

Options
  • 28-04-2011 12:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭

Hi folks,

maybe some more experienced gardener than I am can give me a bit of advice for my garden

We have a fence separating our garden from our neighbours garden in front of which we have planted Thuja trees, the problem is we placed our fishpond too close to the fence, so now we have no space to plants more Thujas where the pond is. We have a narrow path beside it because we want to be able to access the pond from all sides (for clearing out leaves etc...), and instead of the wooden fence, we want a green border, so we are now looking for fast growing evergreen climbing plants (I'm a very impatient gardener, if it was up to me, my plants would grow overnight at the speed of Jack's beanstalk (OK, just not so high wink.gif )

Ivy is out of the question because it reminds my hubby of graveyards...

...any tips would be deeply grateful

Thanks

God knows why I put verygreen in the title, I meant EVERgreen ;)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭yellowlabrador

Fastest growing of the lot is Russian Vine, they also call it Mile a Minute, but seriously, this rampages, if it's a sheltered spot, try a passionflower, Within a year or 2, your wall should be covered and the flowers are spectacular. It does need a sheltered spot though, otherwise any clematis Montana....

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭Apanachi

Don't really want anything that rampages, but Passion flower looks lovely, will suggest that to my hubby, but I think he will agree

Thank you so much for the quick reply

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

Please don't plant Russian Vine, it is such a plague for all neighbouring gardens as well to deal with.

A quick growing flowering evergreen climber is of course Honeysuckle.

Others worth considering: Summer flowering Jasmine, Solanum Alba, avoid Solanum Crispum Glasnevin (gets very woody and difficult to control). Cissus Striata is also a manageable evergreen climber.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,445 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Another -1 for Russian Vine - plant it this year, watch it, horrified, next year, pull it out the year after. Passion flower is good but it dies back over the winter - I suspect I've lost mine after last winter and it was going well. Clematis montana is in glorious flower everywhere at the moment, I love it even though it can be a bit of a thug.

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭cltt97

Hiya, need some advice - read through this thread and thought solanum alba, clematis montana and jasmin all look wonderful... I have a rather dark garden corner with an old garden wall, it's totally overshadowed by trees, so doesn't get much light, the grass doesn't really like growing there either. I have lots of ivy on the side wall,and although it looks lovely, I don't want any more of it. The back garden wall is partly covered in this wanna by ivy, that looses the leaves in winter, so not a huge fan of that really. So any advice greatly appreciated. Need something that doesn't need a lot of light and likes sheltered corners!

• Advertisement
Advertisement