Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2 Quick Questions

Options
  • 28-04-2011 12:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭

1, alot of the time, it is very hard to get near our beautiful coast without walking on farmers fields, is this legal or is it trespassing? when i was younger we used walk on farmers fields all the time but never had a problem, not that we were ever seen anyway.

2, has anyone here camped by the cliffs of moher? id love to go camping near the cliffs and ive read that this is allowed once its not near the heritage centre?ive read its also ok to light fires once theyre not wreckless?

thank you :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭Chris O Donoghue

Walking across fields is, strictly speaking, trespassing but the majority of farmers in coastal and amenity areas are reasonable people and don't mind walkers using their fields for access.
    I usually just cross, I stay to the edge and avoid causing damage to fences and crops. I don't think it's feasible to seek out and ask a farmer every time I want to go for walk or go to a climbing crag.

Problems arise when people don't show consideration and spoil crops or upset livestock.
    Take a look through the points listed here;

http://www.mountaineering.ie/accessandconservation/viewdetails.asp?ID=5

if you stick to those ideas you should be fine.

Regards camping near the Cliffs of Moher;that's such a popular area that in this case it might be best to explicilty ask the landowner. Ask at the shop or hostel in Doolin, or the pub at Liscannor for info.

There are 2 good campsites in Doolin if you're turned away by the farmer.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,494 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

1, alot of the time, it is very hard to get near our beautiful coast without walking on farmers fields, is this legal or is it trespassing?

ah, one of the constant fights, public access versus private farmland. I imagine the situation is very much like the hills, where routes are established farmers just have to deal with it but outside that access would be limited and otherwise considered trespassing.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭Ardennes1944

its a fine line really aint it? i mean, if a farmer wanted to he could take any of us to court for trespassing? you see the trouble i have is, im 19, i usually go on these walks with my girlfriend and i dont like asking farmers cos im sure they think we just want the 'roide' on their land of something. im very very outdoorsie but i wouldnt blame a farmer for not letting me walk on his land but allow an older person.

i would always stay as close to the ditch as possible of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭DeepSleeper

I was told that walking across someone's field is just that - you're walking across someone's field - and that in practice trespass only comes into it when you're up to no good or when you have been informed (verbally or by a sign/notice) that you are not welcome - if you then persist, you're trespassing...

This may or may not be correct, so don't get sued on my account...

I always find that if you accept from the outset that the land is private and that the landowner's rights trump any rights that you think you might have, then landowners will generally be welcoming. On the other hand, if you suggest first off that you have a right to walk in a particular place which is in private ownership, don't be surprised if the landowner's reaction is negative or even hostile. That's just human nature...

its a fine line really aint it? i mean, if a farmer wanted to he could take any of us to court for trespassing?

Yeah, but he would also have to show his losses, and can't imagine a court being too impressed at the prospect of someone who claims that a bit of grass was trampled. You do not get actions for one off trespass save where actual damage was caused.

But they can rightly tell you to get off their land, even if they cannot in practice sue.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭Ardennes1944

Thanks guys, very reassuring :)

Advertisement