Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

help!

Options
  • 28-04-2011 12:58pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 418 ✭✭

Maybe you might be able to help me with this....

I have applied two courses, one in UCD and UCC.

If I got an offer a course in UCD, but suppose I prefered the UCC course and didnt hear from them yet - should I accept ucd course incase I didnt get the UCC course? I worry if I turn down UCD and then I got nothing from UCC!

If I did accept UCD course then turn it down later on - will this cause a problem in general?

Thanks!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭El Siglo

The Paws wrote: »

If I got an offer a course in UCD, but suppose I prefered the UCC course and didnt hear from them yet - should I accept ucd course incase I didnt get the UCC course? I worry if I turn down UCD and then I got nothing from UCC!

If I did accept UCD course then turn it down later on - will this cause a problem in general?

Thanks!!

No, it shouldn't be a problem. I was accepted onto two different masters courses at QUB before taking up a place at TCD. Had no effect at all (now in QUB doing a PhD). Accept the UCD one as backup and hold out for the UCC. I think UCC is through PAC so don't expect to hear back from them until about June, it's a slow process but it's worth it. I think UCD should be back to you in about May.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,095 ✭✭✭Rosita

The Paws wrote: »

Thanks!!

The only real issue for you in accepting is how much you have to cough up in accepting a course you might not ideally intend to do. Obviously you can choose not to do the course at any stage, but the problem might be having paid a significant sum before that.

There's another very similar case on another thread here where someone has actually been offered a Masters' course in UCC (not assuming that you course is a Masters' but the same ideas apply) but wants to hold out for one in UCD and is still waiting to hear back from UCD. Again the issue there is trying not to burn the UCC boat while trying to avoid getting stung financially if the other comes up trumps.

I suppose the best advice is to accept any offer that comes your way at the time and deal with the consequences later - otherwise you might be left with nothing. If you do not have to pay a signiicant sum to accept the place it's not too bad.

If you've applied through the PAC it will probably buy you some time as chances are you'll be accepting on the PAC site and then the college will forward you more details a short time later. At least that's what it was like when I did a Masters' but I had to pay €1,000 at that stage (when the college contacted me) which is a far too serious an amount to be just keeping your options open.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭El Siglo

Rosita wrote: »
    The only real issue for you in accepting is how much you have to cough up in accepting a course you might not ideally intend to do. Obviously you can choose not to do the course at any stage, but the problem might be having paid a significant sum before that.

There's another very similar case on another thread here where someone has actually been offered a Masters' course in UCC (not assuming that you course is a Masters' but the same ideas apply) but wants to hold out for one in UCD and is still waiting to hear back from UCD. Again the issue there is trying not to burn the UCC boat while trying to avoid getting stung financially if the other comes up trumps.

I suppose the best advice is to accept any offer that comes your way at the time and deal with the consequences later - otherwise you might be left with nothing. If you do not have to pay a signiicant sum to accept the place it's not too bad.

If you've applied through the PAC it will probably buy you some time as chances are you'll be accepting on the PAC site and then the college will forward you more details a short time later. At least that's what it was like when I did a Masters' but I had to pay €1,000 at that stage (when the college contacted me) which is a far too serious an amount to be just keeping your options open.

I think they give you a while before you have to cough up any money, especially UCD. I know people who went the first semester before paying anything to UCD in terms of fees. It's UCC and the PAC universities (TCD, NUIG etc...) they expect you to pay an acceptance fee within something like 2 weeks (can't remember), but again they're offers are out sort of late enough (about a month after UCD).

Advertisement